Author Topic: George Michael Dead At 70; Known For TV 'Sports Machine'  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Chris

• Administrator
George Michael Dead At 70; Known For TV 'Sports Machine'
« on: December 24, 2009, 02:27:52 PM »
George Michael, the longtime NBC4 sports anchor known nationally for his syndicated sports highlights show "The George Michael Sports Machine," passed away early Thursday morning at Sibley Hospital.

Michael was 70 years old.

Known for his boisterous, energetic storytelling and sense of humor, Michael served as sports director for WRC-TV, NBC's D.C. affiliate, for 27 years. Started as a local program in the early '80s, "The Sports Machine" was syndicated in 1984 and aired Sunday nights across the country for more than two decades.

"George Michael was our friend and colleague for more than 25 years," NBC4 said in a statement released Thursday morning. "He was a dynamic force around our newsroom and in the entire Washington area. George was a pioneer in sports broadcasting. He was a gifted interviewer, a master storyteller and one of the hardest working journalists out there. Our hearts go out to his wife, Pat, and his daughter, Michelle, both of whom also worked with us for many years, as well as the rest of his family."

http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/sports/Longtime-NBC-Sports-Anchor-George-Michael-Has-Died-80061587.html
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: George Michael Dead At 70; Known For TV 'Sports Machine'
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 03:00:56 PM »
RIP.  His schtick was entertaining, and probably inspired a lot of ESPN folks who ended up working there & elsewhere in the sports world.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Oceander

Re: George Michael Dead At 70; Known For TV 'Sports Machine'
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 03:02:17 PM »
That's too bad; I remember him from when I was in H.S.