Author Topic: McGriff becomes oldest to drive in NASCAR event  (Read 1037 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
McGriff becomes oldest to drive in NASCAR event
« on: July 21, 2009, 05:17:40 PM »
Guess how old?  Well, the two numbers add up to 9, and one of those is a 1.

McGriff becomes oldest to drive in NASCAR event

Finishes 13th in race at Portland International Raceway
By The Associated Press
July 20, 2009
12:38 PM EDT

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Ever the gentleman, Hershel McGriff was good-natured about finishing 13th in a NASCAR-sanctioned race at age 81.

"My competition was faster," he deadpanned.

Although he certainly would have taken a victory, McGriff seemed nevertheless pleased with his showing on the road course at Portland International Raceway, part of the NASCAR Camping World West Series.

Jim Inglebright of Fairfield, Calif., won the race, which featured a late caution for a green-white-checkered finish. He edged fellow Californian Greg Pursley, who slipped partially off track on the final turn.

McGriff was the defending champion in Portland winning the only other time the series -- then known as Winston West -- visited the track in 1986.

81 years old!!!!  I hope that God Almighty allows me to be that cognicent (sp?) at that age, where I can go racing in a NASCAR series.

Unreal.  And he beat half the field!!!!  If he had beaten me, I'd quit racing.  I'd be that embarassed that a guy who was alive just after World War One had out-driven me.

More power to him!  (Of course, that would mean a bigger engine.)

http://www.nascar.com/2009/news/headlines/cup/07/20/hmcgriff.oldest.driver.portland.ap/index.html
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 05:19:39 PM by BlueStateSaint »
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
Re: McGriff becomes oldest to drive in NASCAR event
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 06:51:49 PM »
And in another note, he was driving in front of the entire field at 35 mph with his left blinker on the whole time.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 07:08:46 PM »
And in another note, he was driving in front of the entire field at 35 mph with his left blinker on the whole time.

That was cold.  :evillaugh:

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 04:19:04 AM »

And they still couldn't get around him . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.