Author Topic: CC Pick'em (Bracket challenge)  (Read 11829 times)

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
Re: CC Pick'em (Bracket challenge)
« Reply #50 on: March 26, 2009, 09:48:35 PM »
I believe we are watching basketball or a gay pride parade....  :naughty:

College basketball tournament.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #51 on: March 26, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »
and don't forget the sammiches! What will you have love?

I'm a bit stuffed still but you can sit in my lap and feed me cookies.  :p

(watch this be the first sports thread to be taken to NSFW)  :lmao:
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand
http://www.capmag.com/article.asp?ID=1826

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #52 on: March 26, 2009, 09:50:38 PM »
College basketball tournament.

THE college basketball tourney of all tourneys.  :cheersmate:
"When you see that trading is done, not by consent, but by compulsion - when you see that in order to produce, you need to obtain permission from men who produce nothing - when you see that money is flowing to those who deal, not in goods, but in favors - when you see that men get richer by graft and by pull than by work, and your laws don't protect you against them, but protect them against you - when you see corruption being rewarded and honesty becoming a self-sacrifice - you may know that your society is doomed."

- Ayn Rand

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #53 on: March 26, 2009, 09:57:18 PM »
and don't forget the sammiches! What will you have love?

We need more BeerNuts too.  :-)
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #54 on: March 26, 2009, 09:57:29 PM »
I'm a bit stuffed still but you can sit in my lap and feed me cookies.  :p

(watch this be the first sports thread to be taken to NSFW)  :lmao:

I would never dream of doing that.

So ....  :naughty:

Just kidding, I need to go to bed. Niters, have fun watching the tourney.
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2009, 12:09:22 PM »
OK, well I definately didn't see Mizzou and Villanova getting this far, moreso Mizzou (even though they won the Big 12 tourney).

Picks this years are a mess.

Tourney is great!!  And that's what counts.  :cheersmate:

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2009, 09:17:04 AM »
Seven of my Elite Eight teams made it in. Look out, cclan! I'm gaining on you.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #57 on: March 29, 2009, 03:23:41 PM »
That explosion you just heard was my bracket imploding.

Thanks, Louisville.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2009, 04:16:39 PM »
That explosion you just heard was my bracket imploding.

Thanks, Louisville.

I'm done, too.  :bawl:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2009, 09:23:44 AM »
Ouch!  Mine, too.

With the remaining teams, I'll have to go with Carolina winning it all.  They can play defense, have a good inside game, can hit the 3, and can explode on offense at any time.

I think Carolina will take Villanova pretty easily (all things considered).  Villanova has done well so far, but they're playing over their heads and it's got to end at some point.  The better game in the semi's will IMO be the Mich St - UConn game.  I'll go with Mich St. having the home crowd (Detroit) with their ability to match up against a very physical UConn inside and a better outside game.  Both play good D.  Besides, Mich St. wants another match-up with Carolina after losing to them in the same arena just a few months ago, so that's added incentive.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2009, 03:12:52 PM »
Ouch!  Mine, too.

With the remaining teams, I'll have to go with Carolina winning it all.  They can play defense, have a good inside game, can hit the 3, and can explode on offense at any time.

I think Carolina will take Villanova pretty easily (all things considered).  Villanova has done well so far, but they're playing over their heads and it's got to end at some point.  The better game in the semi's will IMO be the Mich St - UConn game.  I'll go with Mich St. having the home crowd (Detroit) with their ability to match up against a very physical UConn inside and a better outside game.  Both play good D.  Besides, Mich St. wants another match-up with Carolina after losing to them in the same arena just a few months ago, so that's added incentive.

I've got to disagree with you about MSU-UConn.  Remember that UConn was one of the teams that MSU looked to for inspiration in beating Louisville--they looked at the Louisville-UConn game tapes (it was at Louisville).  If you think that Jim Calhoun isn't going to have his team up for that game, well, a urinalysis test is in order.  Having said that, and with Villanova against UNC in the other game, I wouldn't be surprised to see both games go OT.  And after watching UNC take care of Oklahoma, and only getting eight points from Tyler Hansbrough in the process, I hate to say this, but the Obamessiah just might be right about something after all.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2009, 04:40:30 PM »
Oy veh what a weekend. I watched 3 teams I picked for the final 4 win in some great games then the 4th team, whom I picked to win it all, came out and laid a big ol' egg.  :rotf:

I may have moved from last place to first place just to fall to the middle of the pack depending on how the final 4 shakes out. Oh well, as someone said before, it's been a great tournament and that's what matters most. (that and beating Obama's bracket LOL) A UConn win is the only way for me to get any more Pick'em points but I think I'll have to root for MSU from here on out. (no matter what happens those poor bastards still have to live in Michigan after all)

- Ayn Rand

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2009, 07:49:43 AM »
Okay, it's probably going to be down to the University of Connecticut and the University of North Carolina.

I'm not a basketball fan, so I have to use my usual criteria.

Tradition trumps what's hip, what's cool, what's trendy, what's with it.

North Carolina has long-standing tradition in college basketball.

So.....GO NORTH CAROLINA!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2009, 07:04:44 PM »
I don't want to jinx them but MSU is really rolling here in the second half. C'mon guys! lol

(back to the game)<-------

- Ayn Rand

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2009, 07:50:43 PM »
Well they did it. MSU put the kibosh on a very good UConn team in a darn good game. (and kept me from getting any more points in the pick'em challenge, LOL)

Ready for some Nova v North Carolina action. I'd be happy to see the last #1 seed fall but that's a tall order. Hope it's a really good game anyway.

- Ayn Rand

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2009, 09:12:26 PM »
Well, now that Michigan State University unexpectedly defeated the University of Connecticut, I'm in a quandary here.

I favor the team with tradition.

Now we got two with tradition, the University of North Carolina and Michigan State University.

Failing "tradition" (in this case both teams being equal), I then default to "geography."

GO.....Michigan State!
apres moi, le deluge

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #66 on: April 05, 2009, 09:55:54 AM »
Go 'Heels!

That is all.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2009, 06:55:38 PM »
Go 'Heels!

That is all.

Nooooooo!

Good luck, Sparky.  :-)

Offline ReardenSteel

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2009, 08:40:38 PM »
Nooooooo!

Good luck, Sparky.  :-)

H5 there.  :cheersmate:

They need all the help they can get so I hope the home crowd gives them a little pick-up. THIS IS SPARTA!!!!  :lmao:

- Ayn Rand

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2009, 09:37:52 PM »
H5 there.  :cheersmate:

They need all the help they can get so I hope the home crowd gives them a little pick-up. THIS IS SPARTA!!!!  :lmao:

This is all the "pick me up" I'll ever need until the night I dine in hell...

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IReMfvamQ28[/youtube]

You see, old friend?  I brought more soldiers than you did.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #70 on: April 06, 2009, 09:12:01 AM »
I've got to disagree with you about MSU-UConn.  Remember that UConn was one of the teams that MSU looked to for inspiration in beating Louisville--they looked at the Louisville-UConn game tapes (it was at Louisville).  If you think that Jim Calhoun isn't going to have his team up for that game, well, a urinalysis test is in order.

You were saying....  :-)

« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 09:24:48 AM by USA4ME »

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2009, 09:23:29 AM »
Looks like if Carolina wins then Spark takes it, otherwise Jen wins.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #72 on: April 07, 2009, 07:08:04 AM »
Congrats to NHSparky for winning the 2009 CC Bracket Challenge!!  This year was a real difficult task.  Now if you can only transfer that type of picking to the stock market.   :bow:

Also congrats to cclanofirish for picking the most winning games (47 of 63), which is no easy task.   :thumbs:

And a special Thank You goes out to ReardenSteel for setting up the CC tourney bracket for those who participated.  We all appreciate it very much.   :cheersmate:

« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 05:06:07 PM by USA4ME »

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #73 on: April 07, 2009, 08:18:39 AM »
I see that I've already been bitch-slapped in honor of my victory.  It's a privilege, lemme tell ya.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2009, 10:05:27 AM »
Congrats, Sparky!