Author Topic: Assault weapon sales spike before election  (Read 3831 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: Assault weapon sales spike before election
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 04:57:45 PM »
I have had this very same idea if only because they are going to tell me I can`t have one.

Any suggestions as to what is the best for a modest price?

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 05:10:08 PM »
I have had this very same idea if only because they are going to tell me I can`t have one.

Any suggestions as to what is the best for a modest price?

I'm pretty partial to the SLR-95s and newer. Many folks like the AR platform. The SLR 95 and newer are milled receiver AK Clones and are very nice. They use 7.62 x 39 ammunition. They're both gonna run in the $800+ vicinity. Another good option is the L1A1. It's right around the same price range.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2008, 09:11:20 AM »
Some would argue but 7.62 x 51 and .308 are the same. At least my old L1A1 will use both.

Functionally they are the same thing, there are some differences in technical pressure specs (and therefore probably powders) and tolerances, but in a sound weapon they shouldn't matter.

Similar with 5.56 vs .223, except that while .223s will handle XM193 ammo just fine, the newer military ammo (XM855 or anything else loaded with the NATO SS109 spec bullet) will fire but won't hit anything since spec .223 commercial rifling doesn't spin it fast enough make it fly straight or keep it stable...it will turn a minute-of-angle rifle into a degree of arc rifle, and the bullet will likely arrive sideways. 
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2008, 01:40:10 PM »
Functionally they are the same thing, there are some differences in technical pressure specs (and therefore probably powders) and tolerances, but in a sound weapon they shouldn't matter.

Similar with 5.56 vs .223, except that while .223s will handle XM193 ammo just fine, the newer military ammo (XM855 or anything else loaded with the NATO SS109 spec bullet) will fire but won't hit anything since spec .223 commercial rifling doesn't spin it fast enough make it fly straight or keep it stable...it will turn a minute-of-angle rifle into a degree of arc rifle, and the bullet will likely arrive sideways. 

Also  most commercial hunting rifles chambered for .223 Rem. will bear caution labels about using 5.56 MIL ammo due to vastly increased (CUP) chamber pressures.  I have never seen a  K/B on one, but I'm told that it has happened particularly with older Savage models in 223......

My advice is it is always OK to use 223 Rem in a rifle built for 5.56 MM, but it would be poor judgement to use 5.56 in a rifle built for .223 Rem.  The rounds are the same physical dimensions, but are not the same load, by a long shot (so to speak).......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.