Author Topic: Assault weapon sales spike before election  (Read 3832 times)

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
Assault weapon sales spike before election
« on: October 28, 2008, 07:10:36 PM »
T'is the season to buy more guns....

Assault weapon sales spike before election

03:45 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 28, 2008

By JASON WHITELY & CYNTHIA IZAGUIRRE / WFAA-TV

GARLAND – With nine days left until the election, people aren't only lining up to vote early; they are also apparently heading to sporting goods stores and gun shops as owners have reported an increase in business.

Gun owners have expressed concern that Barack Obama, if elected, will not only renew the ban on assault weapons, but also make it permanent.

"Not that people are fear-buying,” said John Mannewitz, a manager at Target Master. “But, if there's something cool you want to get, people are saying sooner is better than later."

Target Master, a gun store in Garland, used to sell a couple of assault weapons, such as AR15s and AK47s, every week. But now, a little more than a week away from the election, sales have tripled.

"I had a customer today who came in and bought an AR15,” Mannewitz said. “He said he had always wanted one and he was afraid if Obama got elected there wouldn't be anymore."

MORE

Offline MrsSmith

Re: Assault weapon sales spike before election
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 08:31:09 PM »
Not only could it become less possible to buy guns, but also guns do a fair job of holding their value...which is pretty enticing right now. 

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 08:32:12 PM »
Fa la la la laaaa la laaa laa laaa!
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2008, 08:33:20 PM »
There was just a little snippet for news at 11 ......said there has been a marked increase in the purchase of guns in the last few weeks in this area.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline djones520

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2008, 08:47:30 PM »
Can't wait to see the DUmp pick up on this.  Oh the conspiracy theories will abound.   :popcorn:
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 08:53:36 PM »
Hubby wanted to buy an AR15 but I told him to wait for spring.  I think I will just go ahead and put it on layaway for him now and have it paid off by January.  I need more ammo too.  Right now I could only fight maybe one huge horde of zombies.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 09:03:38 PM »
I've also heard that Obama wants to place a 500% tax on ammo. (as if ammo prices aren't already high enough!!)  It's time to stock up, folks.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline djones520

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 09:18:52 PM »
I've also heard that Obama wants to place a 500% tax on ammo. (as if ammo prices aren't already high enough!!)  It's time to stock up, folks.

Might not be a bad idea...
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2008, 10:23:26 PM »
Since I "SOLD" all of my guns in order to move back to Texas ....

I sure wish I could afford an AR-10 or some other "evil black rifle" and all the ammo I can store.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Lauri

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2008, 10:42:22 PM »
There was just a little snippet for news at 11 ......said there has been a marked increase in the purchase of guns in the last few weeks in this area.

ok, so there is a big uptick in guns.. cause people fear an Obama presidency.

there is an uptick in people selling off stocks and businesses because they fear the doubling capitol gains taxes coming.. cause of an Obama presidency..

im starting to wonder why there is only two points difference between these two guys. although with Ohio basically letting anyone from anywhere vote there, this election is majorly messed up.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2008, 11:52:02 PM »
Bank Loans. If you got the credit go get one so you can buy that evil black rifle. I have started looking into 30.06 ammo. My dads 1903 springfield hasn't been shot in years but it was strong then and it should be now. I hate the fact it holds only 5 rounds but then again the guy that rebuilt it for my father promised it could shoot dime sized holes at 250 yards. It never failed to make that mark. I think I may know of a source for some very good 30.06 ammo too.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2008, 11:58:20 PM »
Bank Loans. If you got the credit go get one so you can buy that evil black rifle. I have started looking into 30.06 ammo. My dads 1903 springfield hasn't been shot in years but it was strong then and it should be now. I hate the fact it holds only 5 rounds but then again the guy that rebuilt it for my father promised it could shoot dime sized holes at 250 yards. It never failed to make that mark. I think I may know of a source for some very good 30.06 ammo too.

cheaperthandirt.com is a good source.  A year or so ago, they were selling 30-06 in thousand-round cases.

They also sell re-loaded .223 for a good price.  I have a 5-gallon bucket of .223 shells I need to reload.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 10:21:06 AM »
I found some REALLY good .308 at a REALLY good price: Here

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 10:44:45 AM »
This year I'm glad I found a good deal on a pair of pistols. It looks like it could be awhile before I get anything else till next year and that maybe iffy at best depending on Nov.4th. I'm stocking up on ammo for both -.45 ACPs now and my oldest brother has over 5k in 9mm. I know there is a case of 30.06 in dads basement so it's a start.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 10:53:35 AM »
Sadly the coffers are empty, especially after putting a credit card balance to rest with a last large payment, and plundering the savings to sneak out and buy a coveted Uberti single action revolver in .357, 4-5/8" barrel which I have been wanting for quite some time.

:(
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 11:04:38 AM »
I've been buying up all the .223, 12 gauge buck and slugs, 9mm, .45, and .308 that isn't nailed down.

ETA: and high-cap mags, too. That will be one of the first things that is verboten with this modern-day Waffengesetz.

For those interested in purchasing:

http://www.betaco.com/

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/nationalmagazines.aspx
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 11:12:12 AM by Odin's Hand »
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 12:10:45 PM »

Don't worry, I've got enough 5.56 MM stashed away to supply the entire board if needed........I live about 3 miles from the Lake City Arsenal, and my neighbor keeps me fully supplied with the rounds that are usable, but don't meet MILspec for shipment.

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 12:35:46 PM »
I've been buying up all the .223, 12 gauge buck and slugs, 9mm, .45, and .308 that isn't nailed down.

ETA: and high-cap mags, too. That will be one of the first things that is verboten with this modern-day Waffengesetz.

For those interested in purchasing:

http://www.betaco.com/

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/nationalmagazines.aspx

OH, I KNOW who I'm tracking down if the SHTF.

Don't worry, I've got enough 5.56 MM stashed away to supply the entire board if needed........I live about 3 miles from the Lake City Arsenal, and my neighbor keeps me fully supplied with the rounds that are usable, but don't meet MILspec for shipment.

doc

Can he get his paws on any .308 ??

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 12:44:07 PM »
Can he get his paws on any .308 ??

Lake City only makes (as far as I know) 5.56 and 20 MM.....

As an aside, I love laying in bed at night, and listening to them range-testing the 20MM stuff......or ripping through a mag of 5.56 on full-auto......sounds like freedom!!

doc

Offline djones520

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 12:57:33 PM »
Lake City only makes (as far as I know) 5.56 and 20 MM.....

As an aside, I love laying in bed at night, and listening to them range-testing the 20MM stuff......or ripping through a mag of 5.56 on full-auto......sounds like freedom!!

doc

Well, if you do happen to get your paws onto some, my AR-10 would really like you.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 01:04:54 PM »
Well, if you do happen to get your paws onto some, my AR-10 would really like you.

I called him and asked.....he said that since Lake City is operated solely under a DOD contract, they only do the "high volume" stuff.  He said that they have made some .308 in the past, but that particular round (his words, not mine) is used primarilary by SPECOPS folks, and their armorers prefer to "roll their own" for precision, rather than use a mass-produced round.....he added that if they ever ran any, he would let me know........

doc

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 01:09:56 PM »
I called him and asked.....he said that since Lake City is operated solely under a DOD contract, they only do the "high volume" stuff.  He said that they have made some .308 in the past, but that particular round (his words, not mine) is used primarilary by SPECOPS folks, and their armorers prefer to "roll their own" for precision, rather than use a mass-produced round.....he added that if they ever ran any, he would let me know........

doc

I dunno, I thought that the SAW M-240 used the .308 round, which that is not solely a SPECOPS round. I DO know that the snipers of the various services DO load their own because they are VERY particular.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 01:12:48 PM »
I dunno, I thought that the SAW M-240 used the .308 round, which that is not solely a SPECOPS round. I DO know that the snipers of the various services DO load their own because they are VERY particular.

The M-240 may very well use the .308.....however the case may be that it is made under a different contract at another plant.....dunno......

doc

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 01:50:08 PM »

The SAW is the M249 and is 5.56mm; the M14, M60, M240 & M240B, as well as various sniper rifles and some obsolete machineguns, are 7.62mm.  Lake City has been loading small arms ammo since WW2, there is no doubt some 7.62 out there with the LC headstamp even if they aren't currently making any, I know I fired a bunch of .30-'06 that was made there in the 50s back in the day.  Lake City even made up some small lots of 7.62X39 for trials of Soviet-made weapons back during the Viet Nam years.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 04:51:46 PM »
Some would argue but 7.62 x 51 and .308 are the same. At least my old L1A1 will use both.