Author Topic: Fed Ex and UPS: Similar companies, One offers domestic partner benefits...  (Read 8216 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Two years ago UPS received a 100 percent rating by a certain lobbying group. The rating means that they are very much a pro domestic partner benefit company. Since 2006 UPS stock has been trending downward. Fed Ex does not have a domestic partner benefit policy, and their stock has been trending upward, with the exception of this week, where there are very few gainers.

The fix to the problem behind the problem with the economy is for companies to offer their employees the same basic benefit package. If the employee chooses to add other benefits, the employee would pay for those benefits, and not the company.  When this change is instituted, most of the failing companies (those that have offered DPB) will begin to turn around financially. If the change is not instituted, the economy will continue to falter.

Lilsson
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
I think the difference between UPS (United Parcel Service) and FedEx (Federal Express) is that the former is a business trying (probably under some sort of pressure) to make a political statement, while the latter is just trying to.....do business.

The shoemaker who sticks to his last always flourishes and prospers.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
Two years ago UPS received a 100 percent rating by a certain lobbying group. The rating means that they are very much a pro domestic partner benefit company. Since 2006 UPS stock has been trending downward. Fed Ex does not have a domestic partner benefit policy, and their stock has been trending upward, with the exception of this week, where there are very few gainers.

The fix to the problem behind the problem with the economy is for companies to offer their employees the same basic benefit package. If the employee chooses to add other benefits, the employee would pay for those benefits, and not the company.  When this change is instituted, most of the failing companies (those that have offered DPB) will begin to turn around financially. If the change is not instituted, the economy will continue to falter.

Lilsson

Please take this bullsh*t somewhere else - nobody gives a crap about your issues.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!

Please take this bullsh*t somewhere else - nobody gives a crap about your issues.

thanks, i was thinking "not this shit again"

Offline Chris_

thanks, i was thinking "not this shit again"

Whether or not you agree with me doesn't change the fact that I base my statements on observations made over time. Robin Chandler Duke, who was on the board of Rockwell International, was also head of International Planned Parenthood. Some of Rockwell survived while she was at the helm, the Defense Electronics Operations Division did not. She took a two year leave of absence and Rockwell won the B1-B aircraft contract. When she returned, Rockwell had a constant set of lost bids on contracts. My point is having her being head of international planned parenthood was an assault on the basic family which is the foundation of society. When a company takes an anti-family stance either directly( by providing domestic partner benefits)  or indirectly (by having a board member with anti-family credentials), they will take a financial dive, and will not come out of it until they change their policies.

Lilsson

By the way everyone is concerned about their retirement. I moved mine to cash before all this happened knowing the fall was going to continue because most people were either unaware, or didn't understand of the problem behind the problem with the economy.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Whether or not you agree with me doesn't change the fact that I base my statements on observations made over time. Robin Chandler Duke, who was on the board of Rockwell International, was also head of International Planned Parenthood. Some of Rockwell survived while she was at the helm, the Defense Electronics Operations Division did not. She took a two year leave of absence and Rockwell won the B1-B aircraft contract. When she returned, Rockwell had a constant set of lost bids on contracts. My point is having her being head of international planned parenthood was an assault on the basic family which is the foundation of society. When a company takes an anti-family stance either directly( by providing domestic partner benefits)  or indirectly (by having a board member with anti-family credentials), they will take a financial dive, and will not come out of it until they change their policies.

Lilsson

By the way everyone is concerned about their retirement. I moved mine to cash before all this happened knowing the fall was going to continue because most people were either unaware, or didn't understand of the problem behind the problem with the economy.

Then your nestegg will grow at a .05% rate.  Those of us who don't panic will have a much better return.  If you are not retiring in the next year or so, you have done something very rash and stupid.

Offline formerlurker

Pretty much every large company does this now, and it is not just for gay couples.   Heterosexual couples take advantage of this also.

Employers offer benefits to recruit and retain quality applicants/employees -- to stay competitive.  I think you are really reaching here. 

Offline Chris_

Pretty much every large company does this now, and it is not just for gay couples.   Heterosexual couples take advantage of this also.

Employers offer benefits to recruit and retain quality applicants/employees -- to stay competitive.  I think you are really reaching here. 

The number one and number two companies in the US do not offer DPB. It is precisely the reason they are number one and number two. They are also the most hated companies because they chose not to offer them. Most in the US have been sucked into the somewhat covert PR campaign to discredit those companies.  Doesn't it seem strange that the two most hated companies in the US are the on the top of the Fortune 500 list? How does that happen?

Lilsson

Lilsson

Offline formerlurker

The number one and number two companies in the US do not offer DPB. It is precisely the reason they are number one and number two. They are also the most hated companies because they chose not to offer them. Most in the US have been sucked into the somewhat covert PR campaign to discredit those companies.  Doesn't it seem strange that the two most hated companies in the US are the on the top of the Fortune 500 list? How does that happen?

Lilsson

Lilsson

Purporting that employee benefits are somehow related to this in anyway is quite a stretch.  I don't do business with or give business to a company based on the level of benefits they offer their employees.   

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Purporting that employee benefits are somehow related to this in anyway is quite a stretch.  I don't do business with or give business to a company based on the level of benefits they offer their employees.

I could be wrong, but I think what's being said here is that a business that tries to make political or social statements doesn't do as well as a business that sticks to its business.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline formerlurker

Re: Fed Ex and UPS: Similar companies, One offers domestic partner benefits...
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2008, 05:52:37 PM »
I could be wrong, but I think what's being said here is that a business that tries to make political or social statements doesn't do as well as a business that sticks to its business.

They wouldn't as business is not their top priority.

That said, I don't see Ben & Jerry's hurting.

Offline Jim

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2008, 05:56:11 PM »

Lilsson

Lilsson

envy
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2008, 06:34:10 PM »
OFFS you freaking troll.  First you rip on Apple now this crap?

Please get a life.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Woody

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 01:31:43 AM »
Having used both UPS and FedEx, I think the answer's obvious, and has nothing to do with DPBs.  UPS sucks, and has for quite a while.  FedEx does exactly what they claim, and does it well. 

It's a hell of a stretch to claim that DPBs are a bellwether of a company's future performance, when so many other factors are involved.  I'm sure you could find any number of other benefits that UPS workers receive (and FedEx workers don't) that have absolutely nothing to do with a homosexual agenda.  (Either pro or anti) 

Those who see their lives as spoiled and wasted crave equality and fraternity more than they do freedom. If they clamor for freedom, it is but freedom to establish equality and uniformity. The passion for equality is partly a passion for anonymity: to be one thread of the many which make up a tunic; one thread not distinguishable from the others. No one can then point us out, measure us against others and expose our inferiority.
-Eric Hoffer, "The True Believer", 1951

Offline Lauri

« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2008, 01:54:17 AM »

Lilsson

I dont know what your 'issues' might be, but a major manager of UPS lives on my cul de sac, and he talks about business now and then. He's been all over the country with this company since he was 18 years old. He is now past 40 and looking to retire, so I figure he knows a thing or two.

His vague info points in the direction of the union causing UPS most of their hardships. I'.. m not going to give specifics, as he wouldnt appreciate that

so.. Take that for what its worth..

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2008, 10:10:56 AM »
His vague info points in the direction of the union causing UPS most of their hardships. I'.. m not going to give specifics, as he wouldnt appreciate that

so.. Take that for what its worth..

Can't be.......................has to be that UPS offers DPB's. has to be. I bet your neighbor os gay and benefits from this company decision.

No way in hell could it be a Union doing this. Look at the well being of the Airlines, Auto Manufacturers...........oh nevermind
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2008, 02:05:36 PM »
Can't be.......................has to be that UPS offers DPB's. has to be. I bet your neighbor os gay and benefits from this company decision.

No way in hell could it be a Union doing this. Look at the well being of the Airlines, Auto Manufacturers...........oh nevermind

Basically DPB has been around for some time, but it has moved into the mainstream in the last seven years. Here is a list of those companies that have been at it the longest:
Aetna Inc
Alcatel Lucent
AMR (American Airlines)
Apple *
Eastman Kodak
Intel
JP Morgan Chase
NCR
Nike
Replacements Ltd.
Xerox

Here is a list of companies that do not offer DPB:
Aquila
Archer Daniels Midland
Autozone
Baldor Electric
BB&T Corp.
BNSF Railway
Brown Forman Corp.
CBRL Group. (Cracker Barrel)
Cooper Tire & Rubber
Dana Holding Corp
Deere & Co.
Emerson Electric Co.
Exxon/Mobil
Fed Ex
General Dynamics
H.E. Butt Grocery Co.
Hershey Co.
Illinois Tool Works
Laclede Group Inc.
Lauren Manufacturing
Lear Co.
Mars
Meijer Inc.
Pathmark Stores
Perot Systems Corp.
PNM Resources
PP&G Industries
Praxair Inc.
R.R. Donnelly & Sons Co.
Ryland Group Inc.
Southern Co.

Some people think that all big companies offer dpb. From the list there are some companies that do not. I suggest that you look at the trending of these companies. It is an indicator.

Lilsson

* I emailed Steve Jobs in the late 90's with the fix I have mentioned. I believe he instituted the fix.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 08:05:25 PM »
Some people think that all big companies offer dpb. From the list there are some companies that do not. I suggest that you look at the trending of these companies. It is an indicator.

Not quite:

http://www.hrcbackstory.org/files/fortune_500_domestic_partner_benefits_2008.pdf

Offline Jim

« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 09:48:42 PM »
Is it possible to motion for a banning on stupidity?   :thatsright:

its best to not feed the trolls.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2008, 05:15:25 PM »

The City of San Francisco does. It mandated it a several years ago. I will make a prediction: The 49ers will continue to stink up the NFL as long as this policy is in place. I think the Raiders decided to go with the policy also. Anti-family policy/benefit decisions will affect every business that takes part.

I think there are several that are starting to get the point. Maybe I don't do a great job of explaining it, but hopefully after listening to the experts continue to ramble for as long as they have, some of you will realize that what I am saying is true.

Domestic Partner Benefits have not been around for a long time. The companies that instituted them early are faltering. I have emailed the CEOs of many of those companies, and explained to them the situation.

Have you ever stopped for a second, and wondered, What if he is right? What will the effect be? The country continues to have financial woes, and the experts really can't help because they don't have answers. I have an answer. I would like to get the fix out. I decided to use this medium, thinking that I would find like minded people that would be willing to explore the possibility. It doesn't appear to be happening.  You don't need to ban me. I am done.

Lilsson

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2008, 06:20:23 PM »
The City of San Francisco does. It mandated it a several years ago. I will make a prediction: The 49ers will continue to stink up the NFL as long as this policy is in place. I think the Raiders decided to go with the policy also. Anti-family policy/benefit decisions will affect every business that takes part.

I think there are several that are starting to get the point. Maybe I don't do a great job of explaining it, but hopefully after listening to the experts continue to ramble for as long as they have, some of you will realize that what I am saying is true.

Domestic Partner Benefits have not been around for a long time. The companies that instituted them early are faltering. I have emailed the CEOs of many of those companies, and explained to them the situation.

Have you ever stopped for a second, and wondered, What if he is right? What will the effect be? The country continues to have financial woes, and the experts really can't help because they don't have answers. I have an answer. I would like to get the fix out. I decided to use this medium, thinking that I would find like minded people that would be willing to explore the possibility. It doesn't appear to be happening.  You don't need to ban me. I am done.

Lilsson

So it's God then that is punishing corporations for offering domestic partner benefits (you do know that heterosexual couples access these benefits as much as gay couples right?). 

If that is your premise then there really isn't anything anyone can say to you.   I think God has a lot more on his plate than punishing American companies for the benefits they offer.   

:mental:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: October 28, 2008, 06:22:59 PM »
So it's God then that is punishing corporations for offering domestic partner benefits (you do know that heterosexual couples access these benefits as much as gay couples right?). 

If that is your premise then there really isn't anything anyone can say to you.   I think God has a lot more on his plate than punishing American companies for the benefits they offer.   

:mental:

If parent/child relationships are accepted with DP benefits, then I am all for it.  My sister took care of my mom until my mom passed away (7 years ago) and my sister never got any benefits at all.

If a DP is just people who live together and take care of each other, then it is OK.  If not, then it is discrimination of the worst sort.

Offline Woody

« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2008, 07:04:22 PM »
So the 49ers suck because they offer DPBs?

Damn, and all this time I though it was the fact that they scored less points than their opponents!

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:
Those who see their lives as spoiled and wasted crave equality and fraternity more than they do freedom. If they clamor for freedom, it is but freedom to establish equality and uniformity. The passion for equality is partly a passion for anonymity: to be one thread of the many which make up a tunic; one thread not distinguishable from the others. No one can then point us out, measure us against others and expose our inferiority.
-Eric Hoffer, "The True Believer", 1951

Offline Lauri

« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2008, 10:31:36 PM »

well, if he's a gay dude.. his wife of 20 years is going to be mighty pissed  :-)

he was actually brought to seattle to clean up this trainwreck happening here... he started on that dreaded midnight shift to make sure the teamsters were actually doing their jobs.

granted, he's a lifer at the company... but that doesnt mean he knows stuff or anything..  :whatever: :cheersmate:

Offline Lauri

« Reply #24 on: October 28, 2008, 10:35:33 PM »
Pretty much every large company does this now, and it is not just for gay couples.   Heterosexual couples take advantage of this also.

pretty much every company does it now to avoid the lawsuits that suck up too much time and resourses and bad press. Microsoft went thru it years ago and just threw in the towel cause they knew what they were up against in this state. Of course, publically they state that they want to be a progressive company but the execs at the top think its a bunch of bullshit - but its not worth their time to keep it going in the courts.

and yet, they keep making buckets of money... hmm.. that kind of messes up Lissa's OP I guess..