Author Topic: MLB Playoff Thread  (Read 16298 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: MLB Playoff Thread
« Reply #75 on: October 17, 2008, 09:29:57 PM »
I hope modern baseball isn't a microcosm of life.  That would be too depressing to contemplate.

And chest thumping?  Man, you should see the "chest thumping" I see around here.  Would make you want to puke.

ETA: By "here" I mean New England, not the site.  Just to clarify.

in my baseball thread, I avoided any gloating, which would, in turn, make for any payback.

I like you a lot, NH, but baseball is a religion to me.  I'm just not sure how to respond to you on most nights.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #76 on: October 17, 2008, 09:31:06 PM »
in my baseball thread, I avoided any gloating, which would, in turn, make for any payback.

I like you a lot, NH, but baseball is a religion to me.  I'm just not sure how to respond to you on most nights.

Baseball or the Dodgers?  Please be able to separate the two.

Personally, I'd rather see a bunch of kids playing the game for the sheer enjoyment rather than the -roided out freakshows that now seem to inhabit the game.  Pissing and moaning because they're not getting $25 million a year to PLAY A GAME while most of us poor schlubs eek out a living.

And frankly, the last team that should be running smack in the LA area is the Dodgers.  Aside from win a postseason series this year, what have the Dodgers achieved in the last 20 aside from alienating the real fans and rolling over for the thugs who need some gear to wear between Lakers and Raiders seasons?

ETA:  And FWIW, running smack is not necessarily the same as gloating.  Please be aware there IS a difference between the two.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 09:34:30 PM by NHSparky »
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #77 on: October 17, 2008, 09:43:42 PM »

your lack of a second round in the playoffs doesn't effect me. :loser:

:-)

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #78 on: October 17, 2008, 09:49:29 PM »
Ow.  Pain.  (limps away, crying)
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #79 on: October 17, 2008, 09:51:29 PM »
Ow.  Pain.  (limps away, crying)

what?  no won-loss record in interleage play?  no opposing stats?

you have me on the ropes, but you are NOT a real baseball fan, so you don't even realize it.

Offline SaintLouieWoman

« Reply #80 on: October 17, 2008, 10:22:43 PM »

you have me on the ropes, but you are NOT a real baseball fan, so you don't even realize it.

WE, really sorry about the Dodgers. I was really hoping they'd win, but glad they wiped up the floor with the Cubbies. I was talking with one of my customers who's a fanatical Cards fan. He was very happy about what LA did to the Cubbies.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2008, 06:42:53 AM »
I hope modern baseball isn't a microcosm of life.  That would be too depressing to contemplate.

And chest thumping?  Man, you should see the "chest thumping" I see around here.  Would make you want to puke.

ETA: By "here" I mean New England, not the site.  Just to clarify.

Oh poor you.   I know being surrounded by real fans can be taxing for a land-of-la-la transplant, but I think you are strong enough to weather through it.   

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2008, 06:51:15 AM »
this thread has sucked from the beginning.  baseball is about hope, and being a microcosm of life.  you should take it in as it arrives.

the chest thumping is crap.   

I grew up a tortured Red Sox fan.   Up until 2004, my Octobers were filled with devestation, crushing disappointment and tears.    New England sports teams have had one hell of a ride this past decade, and the tortured souls -- who through thick and through thin stood by their teams -- deserve every minute of it. 

You have absolutely no idea what a Red Sox/Yankee rivarly is like.    The "East coast bias" that West coast whiners like to complain about exists because of that rivarly.   

We drink, eat and breath baseball in these 6 small states of the Northeast (please refer to the la-la-land mesiah Manny's comments on how hard it is to live in Boston, the poor dear), and we appreciate every damn minute of it as we know only too well how it can all go to hell in a handbasket in a blink of an eye. 

So the short version is that hells yeah we are going to pound some chests cause you have no idea the journey we had to endure to get to the point where we can do that.

Carry on. 

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #83 on: October 18, 2008, 11:37:03 AM »

I'll let ya have that one because basically, at the end of the day, it's the ring that matters.

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #84 on: October 18, 2008, 11:38:42 AM »
Oh poor you.   I know being surrounded by real fans can be taxing for a land-of-la-la transplant, but I think you are strong enough to weather through it.   

REAL fans?  Which ones would those be--the ones who beat up other guys with baseball bats or the ones who run people down in parking lots?

Thanks, I'll pass.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #85 on: October 18, 2008, 03:48:33 PM »
REAL fans?  Which ones would those be--the ones who beat up other guys with baseball bats or the ones who run people down in parking lots?

Thanks, I'll pass.

Few extreme incidents of crackheads..... which I am sure don't exist in LA, cause its all small town USA there right?

:rotf:

The only fans who have walked in our shoes are Cubs fans.   Those poor bastards carry the cross alone now.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #86 on: October 18, 2008, 06:36:23 PM »

a real baseball fan starts dying in april :-)

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #87 on: October 19, 2008, 07:23:38 AM »
Game 7 .....   :popcorn:

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #88 on: October 19, 2008, 07:24:31 AM »
a real baseball fan starts dying in april :-)

Did you get pictures of the tread marks Manny left peeling out of the parking lot after the last game?   

:rotf:

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #89 on: October 19, 2008, 07:36:51 AM »
Would you believe it if we told you that Tampa Bay Rays phenom Evan Longoria didn’t exactly endear himself to the locals while out on the town in Boston last week???

During a champagne-soaked time at District after Game 4, the Rays’ hot corner man was suffering from a sorry case of premature celebration.

Seems that after the Rays humiliated the Sox for the second night in a row, Evan was yelling to anyone who would listen: “It’s over now, Boston!”

Of course, at the time, it soooo wasn’t.

And upon exiting the rockin’ club with a star-struck blonde, a spywitness swears that Longoria poured himself into the back seat of a Boston Police cruiser and said to the cop: “To my hotel!”

Boston’s Finest, as you can imagine, told Evan and his companion - in the most colorful language possible - to remove themselves immediately from his cruiser. So they did.

http://bostonherald.com/track/inside_track/view/2008_10_19_Rays__Evan_Longoria_a_real_devil/srvc=home&position=2

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #90 on: October 19, 2008, 08:16:22 AM »
Superstar Yankees hurler Joba Chamberlain was busted for driving drunk in his home state of Nebraska early yesterday, authorities said.

Nebraska State Patrol officers stopped the flame-throwing Bomber on US 77, south of Lincoln just after 1 a.m., said patrol spokeswoman Deb Collins.

IN SPORTS: Reborn Bosox Force Game 7

Officers allegedly noticed the smell of booze wafting from the dark-colored 2006 BMW and spotted an open container on the front passenger's seat.

Chamberlain, who just closed out his second season pitching for the Yanks, was driving alone, cops said.

Investigators slapped cuffs on the former middle reliever, who started 12 games for the Yankees this year, and hauled him off to a local detox center to cool his jets.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10192008/news/regionalnews/joba_drove_plastered__neb__cops_134233.htm

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #91 on: October 19, 2008, 08:22:40 AM »
We can avoid the waiting period and start calling these Red Sox what they are, regardless of how Game 7 shakes out tonight. We can laud them for the kind of stubborn, resilient edge the great Yankees teams of recent vintage owned. In truth, it wasn't until the Yankees finally lost a Game 7 to the Diamondbacks in 2001, effectively ending their dynasty, that we could fully appreciate what they'd accomplished.

No need to wait for tonight, no need to see the Sox lose gallantly or win gloriously. What we've seen, already, is more than enough. So much about this team is so very different than it was in 2004, and the only true links left are Ortiz and Varitek, and the way they've moved across this ALCS it sometimes looks like they actually go all the way back to 1918 with the Red Sox.

Yet there was Papi on Thursday, reaching back to 2004 and hitting one over the night. There was Varitek, who hit four homers and drove in 10 runs and hit over .300 in those epic ALCS collisions with the Yankees in 2003 and 2004, channeling that Varitek.

And there were the Red Sox. Still breathing. Still standing. Still refusing to hand over the Commissioner's Trophy. Still the champs, for at least one more night.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10192008/sports/moresports/boston_lives_to_c_another_day__again_134298.htm

The only reason I posted this is because it is written by one of the biggest Red Sox haters on the planet. 

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #92 on: October 19, 2008, 11:23:27 PM »
Rays win it, they are World Series bound.

Sorry, Formerlurker... at least ya'll made them sweat it out a bit.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #93 on: October 20, 2008, 05:39:48 AM »
Red Sox only produce one run to support Lester?  They totally deserve to lose.  The Sox were totally beat up, with the starting rotation just barely getting by.   If they pulled off the win last night, I really don't think they would have won the WS anyway.

Rays didn't fall apart.  Good for them.  Should be a good series coming up.  

I will however be rooting for the Phils with Red -- Howard will do what Ortiz couldn't, and that my friends will be the game maker.  

« Last Edit: October 20, 2008, 05:41:34 AM by formerlurker »

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #94 on: October 20, 2008, 09:34:23 AM »
Red Sox only produce one run to support Lester?  They totally deserve to lose.  The Sox were totally beat up, with the starting rotation just barely getting by.   If they pulled off the win last night, I really don't think they would have won the WS anyway.

I will however be rooting for the Phils with Red -- Howard will do what Ortiz couldn't, and that my friends will be the game maker.  

:cheersmate:

I wish I had seen this before I taunted you with that DH article.  :(

Offline Atomic Lib Smasher

• Liberal Hunter
  • Just Say Nobama
« Reply #95 on: October 20, 2008, 09:36:33 AM »

Oh yeah. The Rays do have some work to do. Philly's got a damn good team with Rollins and Howard hitting 400 foot balls like it was nothing. It will be an interesting series.

Liberalism is the philosophy of the stupid! - Mark R. Levin