Author Topic: Elon Musk and the Blue Check Marks  (Read 1149 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Elon Musk and the Blue Check Marks
« on: November 02, 2022, 06:55:09 AM »
This development by Elon wanting to charge for the blue check marks is hilarious to watch.  You have multi-millionaire entertainers with HUGE egos who are complaining because they don't want to pay a "gazillionaire" $8/month for their blue check mark.

I would be willing to bet dollars to donuts that at least 80% of them will pay the fee!  Even if he left it at $20/month, they would pay it.  Their ego will not allow them to lose that cherished blue check mark.   :rotf:

Thoughts?

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Re: Elon Musk and the Blue Check Marks
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2022, 07:45:29 AM »
At this point, I'm willing to wager that 75% of the existing blue checks will quietly disappear as the self described "Head Twit" delegates his minions to clean house of all the 'bots on the site for the sole purpose of influencing public opinion. I'm under no delusion that those won't be replaced with new 'bots just as fast as the old ones are scrapped (it is an election year, after all...)
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2022, 09:50:14 AM »
What exactly does this "blue check mark" denote? That somebody ponied up some money for the PRIVILEGE of posting on Twatter?

Kinda like "keeping up with the Joneses", eh?  :whatever:
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2022, 09:58:48 AM »
Blue-Checks have been verified as real people, and have been paying $5 a month for that status.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2022, 10:08:16 AM »
Blue-Checks have been verified as real people, and have been paying $5 a month for that status.

That's interesting, especially the part about being verified as a "real person."

What happens if I sign up my dog Fido, identify her as a "real person", and pony up the $5 monthly extortion membership fee. Does she get a blue check too?  :rotf:

Fakebook got to be stupid in its quest to drown people it didn't like by putting them in Fakebook jail for a while, but AFAIK, paying to play wasn't part of the deal.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 04:22:28 PM »
I think some of the blue checkmarks are for celebrities, high profile journalists, authors ... things like that.  THOSE were the people I was talking about.

It's so not just anyone can sign up and be Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and start posing as him and posting whatever they want.

Think of people with huge inflated egos.  You think they're going to let that blue check go?  They had to be vetted and NEED to be known.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 07:51:22 PM »
I think some of the blue checkmarks are for celebrities, high profile journalists, authors ... things like that.  THOSE were the people I was talking about.

It's so not just anyone can sign up and be Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson and start posing as him and posting whatever they want.

Think of people with huge inflated egos.  You think they're going to let that blue check go?  They had to be vetted and NEED to be known.

KC

Thanks, KC. I took a few minutes and explored the Twattersphere and encountered this link.

https://help.twitter.com/en/managing-your-account/about-twitter-verified-accounts

Good God, while a pile of certified bullshit. Provide Twitter a photocopy of my driver's license? For a freaking blue check mark on a web site? Get real..... :whatever:   :lmao:

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2022, 06:04:25 AM »
Thanks, KC. I took a few minutes and explored the Twattersphere and encountered this link.

https://help.twitter.com/en/managing-your-account/about-twitter-verified-accounts

Good God, while a pile of certified bullshit. Provide Twitter a photocopy of my driver's license? For a freaking blue check mark on a web site? Get real..... :whatever:   :lmao:

Good link!  I noticed one of the criteria is that you must be 'Notable'.

Here is their definition of notable;

Your account must represent or otherwise be associated with a prominently recognized individual or brand, in line with the notability criteria described below. In addition to confirming the identity of the controller of the account, Twitter will Verify the following types of accounts based on the criteria described. In all categories, Twitter may independently confirm qualifying affiliation through business partnerships or direct outreach. For each category we may request the following type of information to confirm notability:

News Coverage: Provide news articles that are about or reference yourself or your organization multiple times in the article. These articles must be from Verified news organizations and cannot be a blog or self-published content. Some categories may require you to submit articles that reference or link to your or your organization’s Twitter handle in addition to referring to you or your organization.

Google Trends: Provide a link to a profile on Google Trends that depicts search history and is linked to the category in which you are applying.
Wikipedia: Provide a link to a stable Wikipedia article about you or your organization that meets the encyclopedia’s notability standards.
Other industry specific references: Depending on the category, we may ask for more industry specific references such as a link to an IMDB page for entertainment.

Follower or Mention Count: If your account is detected to be in the top .05% follower or mention count for your geographic location, it may count towards notability evidence for certain categories.

Note
Twitter uses a mix of internal signals to evaluate the authenticity of a given account's followers and engagement. We also assess a range of signals from third-party public resources that have been submitted in support of applications (such as how recently they were updated) to evaluate the quality of those resources.

Do you think the AOC's of the world are going to let that blue check mark go?  I don't.  I think people like AOC would be willing to pay far more per month just to keep it.

Having said that and using AOC as a reference, I could see her trying to set it up so elected government officials (who are far enough up the election ladder, IE; federal service) should get their check mark paid for by the government.  After all, you wouldn't want someone to snatch your name and post stuff you disagree with, right?

:lmao:

KC

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2022, 07:53:20 AM »
Blue Checks are celebrities, celebre-wannabes, pols, of the punditocracy & commentariat, etc. ... mostly very whateverable.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2022, 09:16:21 AM »

Good link!  I noticed one of the criteria is that you must be 'Notable'.

Here is their definition of notable;

Do you think the AOC's of the world are going to let that blue check mark go?  I don't.  I think people like AOC would be willing to pay far more per month just to keep it.

AOC and her ilk are completely deluded in themselves and their egos. Nope, they couldn't let that blue check go. But then again, I don't see Musk shitcanning the blue check idea either. So it's kinda moot.

Having said that and using AOC as a reference, I could see her trying to set it up so elected government officials (who are far enough up the election ladder, IE; federal service) should get their check mark paid for by the government.  After all, you wouldn't want someone to snatch your name and post stuff you disagree with, right?

:lmao:

KC

Of course -- that's the way she rolls. The gubmint provides all for everybody. Free money!

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2022, 12:24:07 PM »

There’s lots of free ones out there  :-)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2022, 12:27:09 PM by Old n Grumpy »
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2022, 06:29:53 PM »
AOC and Stephen King lash out at Elon Musk’s $8 Twitter verification fee. Gen Z weighs in
https://www.foxnews.com/tech/aoc-stephen-king-lash-elon-musks-8-twitter-verification-fee-gen-z-weighs

Some University of Texas at Austin students raised their eyebrows at public figures like Stephen King and Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., complaining about Elon Musk's plan to charge $8 per month for Twitter verification.

"It's a bit silly," one UT student told Fox News. But he added: "I don't really care, to be honest."

Another student called it "capitalism at its finest."

King and Ocasio-Cortez got into spats with Musk on Twitter after the social media giant's new owner announced the verification charge. King said Twitter should pay him, while Ocasio-Cortez argued that it was like charging for free speech.

Nobody is forcing you to pay $8 for the blue check marks.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2022, 07:43:22 PM »
AOC and Stephen King lash out at Elon Musk’s $8 Twitter verification fee. Gen Z weighs in
https://www.foxnews.com/tech/aoc-stephen-king-lash-elon-musks-8-twitter-verification-fee-gen-z-weighs

What a concept! Just don't do Twitter! (It's possible -- believe me, I know.)  :-)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2022, 08:00:28 PM »

I’m glad to see someone calling them out. Those who have the check mark should look at it like taxes, as were told by the left, “be glad you’re in a position to pay it.”

KC

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2022, 08:07:54 AM »
... Just don't do Twitter! (It's possible -- believe me, I know.)  :-)

:lmao: & :hi5: !

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
  • Married female & proud VRWC member :)
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2022, 10:49:29 AM »
That's interesting, especially the part about being verified as a "real person."

What happens if I sign up my dog Fido, identify her as a "real person", and pony up the $5 monthly extortion membership fee. Does she get a blue check too?  :rotf:

<snip>

Thanks for the laugh Euph!

In that case I could easily sign up our rescue cat  (an actual Russian Blue)  and identify her as a "real"  person/feline!  :-)

And she had bloody better get a coveted blue check!!!   :rotf:

Not that I would care ... but she might!  :-)
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 10:52:59 AM by ABC-2 »
Please pray for our country in these turbulent times ...
It really is the best in the world & I can't stand the thought of losing it.

Freedom, Truth, and the USA!!! 
~ American By Choice (aka ABC-2)

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2022, 11:02:59 AM »
What a concept! Just don't do Twitter! (It's possible -- believe me, I know.)  :-)

It most definitely is possible!

I have never had the slightest desire to do so ...

And never will! They can continue to carry on without me!

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2022, 06:39:37 PM »
The above being said ...

Once again am outta here for the night, and you can stop all the :clap:  :clap:  ing!  :-)

Is my night off once again from making dinner,   :yahoo: and am about to sit down to ribs & chili!!!  Mr. ABC  loves to use his Green Egg to cook ribs, and I taught  him how to make my chili recipe!  :-)

See ya all tomorrow!  :bolt:

~ ABC
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 06:46:58 PM by ABC-2 »

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2022, 06:47:21 PM »
The above being said ...

Once again am outta here for the night, and you can stop all the :clap:  :clap:  ing!  :-)

Is my night off once again from making dinner,   :yahoo: and am about to sit down to ribs & chili!!!  Mr. ABC  loves to use his Green Egg to cook ribs, and I taught  him how to my chili recipe!  :-)

See ya all tomorrow!  :bolt:

~ ABC

Outstanding!  Enjoy your evening missus.

KC

*Stolen