Author Topic: Steve Bannon sentenced to 4 months for defying subpoena from J6 "committee"  (Read 726 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
I've never been clear on what it was that the J6 "committee" wanted to get out of Bannon other than an "Yep, I was there." But then again, the J6 "committee" is only there to justify its existence. For Bannon, the Swamp Strikes Again.  :bs: :censored:

Steve Bannon was sentenced Friday to four months in jail for defying a subpoena from the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 Capitol riots, the Associated Press reported.

What are the details?

Bannon — a longtime confidant of and White House adviser to former President Donald Trump — also was fined $6,500 as part of the sentence, the AP said, adding that U.S. District Judge Carl Nichols allowed Bannon to stay free pending appeal.

Earlier this week the Justice Department recommended a six-month sentence and $200,000 fine for Bannon, who was found guilty in July of two charges of contempt of Congress by a federal jury.

The AP said Nichols imposed the sentence after saying the law was clear that contempt of Congress is subject to a mandatory minimum sentence of at least one month behind bars; Bannon’s lawyers had argued the judge could instead have sentenced him to probation.

“In my view, Mr. Bannon has not taken responsibility for his actions,” Nichols said before he announced the sentence, the AP noted.

More from the outlet:

The House panel had sought Bannon’s testimony over his involvement in Trump’s efforts to overturn the 2020 presidential election. Bannon has yet to testify or provide any documents to the committee, prosecutors wrote.

Prosecutors argued Bannon, 68, deserved the longer sentence because he had pursued a “bad faith strategy” and his public statements disparaging the committee itself made it clear he wanted to undermine their effort to get to the bottom of the violent attack and keep anything like it from happening again.
“He chose to hide behind fabricated claims of executive privilege and advice of counsel to thumb his nose at Congress,” prosecutor J.P. Cooney said, according to the AP.

Bannon’s lawyer, David Schoen, argued that his client did what his lawyer told him to do under Trump’s executive privilege objections, the outlet said.

“Quite frankly, Mr. Bannon should make no apology. No American should make any apology for the manner in which Mr. Bannon proceeded in this case,” Schoen also said, according to the AP.

The outlet added that Schoen also defended Bannon’s public remarks about the committee: “Telling the truth about this committee or speaking one’s mind about this committee, it’s not only acceptable in this country, it’s an obligation if one believes it to be true."

'Illegitimate regime'

“This illegitimate regime, their judgment day is on 8 November when the Biden administration ends," Bannon told reporters as he walked into court Friday, the AP said.

After the hearing, Bannon said he believed Attorney General Merrick Garland would be impeached, the outlet added.

Anything else?

After his July guilty verdict, Bannon told Fox News' Tucker Carlson, "If I go to jail, I go to jail. I will never back off. ... I support Trump and the Constitution, and I'm not backing off one inch."

He added during the TV appearance that "the law is with us" and warned viewers "they're coming for everybody. ... This is an ideological war and we cannot lose. The fate of the country is over the next couple years."
https://www.theblaze.com/news/steve-bannon-sentenced-4-months-jan-6
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline freedumb2003b

I think this net good. When the grown-ups take over next Jan there will be a LOT of investigations into all the illegalities of pefo joe and his dems.  This means they won't be able to do what EVERY DEMICRAT fid when subpenad when Trump was in his first term.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline SVPete

I wonder what the status of the subpoenas will be if the Rs get the majority and shut down the committee. The subpoena of Trump will expire or be quashed. But then there's Bannon and any others who have resisted and may be facing prosecution (if there are any).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
I wonder what the status of the subpoenas will be if the Rs get the majority and shut down the committee. The subpoena of Trump will expire or be quashed. But then there's Bannon and any others who have resisted and may be facing prosecution (if there are any).

Regarding Trump, there ain't no way he's going to be subpoenaed. His army of lawyers will submit the obligatory lawsuit which will drag out the entire thing until after the New Year. At which point, it's moot.  :whistling:

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Regarding Trump, there ain't no way he's going to be subpoenaed. His army of lawyers will submit the obligatory lawsuit which will drag out the entire thing until after the New Year. At which point, it's moot.  :whistling:

I think I saw a rumor that Trump responded back to the Kangaroo Komittee saying he'd show up to testify, but only if the shit show was fed to live TV.

Personally, I have no problem showing up and making Lois Lerner look positively lugubrious by comparison.

"I don't answer questions, Congress-shit". Followed by silence...
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Drafe Hoblin

The Return Of Steve...

He'll have a ZZ-Top beard by the time his appeals are exhausted.

Bannon couldn't ask for a better PR-team than the J6 goof-offs and the compliant media, unable to stop itself from martyr-izing the guy. 

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
I think I saw a rumor that Trump responded back to the Kangaroo Komittee saying he'd show up to testify, but only if the shit show was fed to live TV.

Personally, I have no problem showing up and making Lois Lerner look positively lugubrious by comparison.

"I don't answer questions, Congress-shit". Followed by silence...

And so the negotiations start....

Actually, I read this morning that the Kangaroo Kommittee requested that he appear on 14 Nov.

We'll see what happens, but I gotta ask the question -- what possible benefit does Trump get out of appearing before those assholes? Other than not going to jail, a la Steve Bannon, of course, for contempt of Congress. I'm not seeing one, unless you think that merely appearing before the clown show with an attempt to treat it as such is a plus. And maybe so. I can well imagine the ratings for Bennie Thompson's Shit Show and Clown Act would be a helluva lot higher than they have been.

Trump's usual practice is to go to the courts to combat bullshit. And this time, he just might be playing his cards closer to his chest.