Author Topic: Gasoline Prices Keep Climbing, but Retail Gas Station Margins Plunge, With Many  (Read 462 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Gasoline Prices Keep Climbing, but Retail Gas Station Margins Plunge, With Many Now ‘Under Water’
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/gasoline-prices-keep-climbing-retail-gas-station-margins-plunge-many-now-under-water

Despite gas prices rising over the past weeks, retail gas stations are seeing their margins decrease, putting a strain on such businesses.

The national average price of regular gas, as of Oct. 5, was $3.831 per gallon, up $0.26 from the previous day, $0.66 from a week back, and $0.45 a month ago, according to data from American Automobile Association (AAA). In contrast, profit margins of gas stations have gone down.

“OPIS MarginPro shows retail gas margins are ~18cts/gal nationwide. That’s down 17cts/gal in a week; 25cts/gal in a mo.; and 54cts/gal lower than end 1Q 2022. When one considers operating costs (labor, credit card fees, etc.), many stores are under water,” noted Tom Kloza, an expert on North American fuel markets, a tweet. on Oct. 4.

In 2021, the gross margin on gasoline was $0.309 per gallon, or 10.2 percent of the $3.03 per gallon average price, according to global trade association NACS. In the previous five years, retail gross margins on gas averaged $0.272 per gallon, which comes to 10.7 percent of the gas price.

Gas stations are struggling despite high gas prices.

Original Link
https://www.theepochtimes.com/gasoline-prices-keep-climbing-but-retail-gas-station-margins-plunge-with-many-now-under-water_4777499.html
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
They don't make much money at all on gas -- most of their coin comes from the sodas, chips, and candy bars that they sell. And have you checked the price for a bottle of water? Damn near $2.

So while they're trying to stay competitive, they can (and do) jack up the prices on the stuff that they really make money on -- coffee, donuts, and sundries.

I am looking for the day when they start charging you to take a dump.  :p
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Old n Grumpy

I am looking for the day when they start charging you to take a dump

They used todo that in England, that’s where the term “spend a penny” came from.

Pay toilets are nothing new even here.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
They used todo that in England, that’s where the term “spend a penny” came from.

Pay toilets are nothing new even here.

It's common in Europe/Germany, but I have NEVER seen it here in the States. Maybe in a truck stop?
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.