Author Topic: Millions of Electric Car Batteries Retiring by 2030, Are We Ready To Deal With W  (Read 370 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Millions of Electric Car Batteries Retiring by 2030, Are We Ready To Deal With What Could Be Ticking Time Bombs?
https://www.theepochtimes.com/millions-of-electric-car-batteries-retiring-by-2030-are-we-ready-to-deal-with-what-could-be-ticking-time-bombs_4718377.html?utm_source=partner&utm_campaign=ZeroHedge

The evolving landscape of lithium batteries is creating both contradictions and infrastructure hurdles that, according to some, need to be addressed sooner rather than later. A critical component of this is waste management.

More than 6 million electric vehicle (EV) battery packs will end up as scrap between now and 2030, and the recycling and reuse industries are racing to keep up. Some researchers project that recycling alone will be an over $12 billion industry by 2025.

U.S. President Joe Biden wants to make America a key player in the EV battery industry with a $3.1 billion spending package for automobile production to transition away from fossil fuels.

There are going to be millions of batteries ending in waste awaiting to be recycled. Handling lithium batteries is dangerous.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
I haven't seen a battery technology yet which is capable of operating consistently for more than about 5 - 8 years. Far too damned many of these battery operated toys out on the highways aren't even gonna come close to lasting all the way to 2030.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
color me skeptical about lithium batteries in general, but I do have at least a little bit of faith in people's ingenuity. When you get right down to it, that's capitalism. Someone takes a risk, that risk pays off (or not) and generally, people succeed.

It's only been 150 years or so since oil has been processed into various fuels and handling those fuels (gasoline, diesel, etc.) certainly was dangerous back in the day. We routinely handle that stuff without thinking much about it anymore. Lots of tractor-trailer rigs hauling it around and you rarely hear of any kind of incident.

While I think we're probably decades away from any kind of "battery power" that even comes close to what we get out of fossil fuels, I do think the problem is eventually solveable.

With taxpayer money, of course.  :whatever:

And that's the part I object to. If there are those who want to invest in renewable fuels, have at it. Incur your failures and learn from them. Let me know when you have something that works. But batteries ain't it -- at least for now.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2022, 05:04:58 AM by Eupher »
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline SVPete

I've read that the physical design things to increase lithium batteries capacity (= miles on a charge) also make them difficult to recycle. Do not be surprised if, "Fire In A Battery Recycling Facility", becomes a too frequent headline in 5 or 10 years.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline enslaved1

• If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn?
color me skeptical about lithium batteries in general, but I do have at least a little bit of faith in people's ingenuity. When you get right down to it, that's capitalism. Someone takes a risk, that risk pays off (or not) and generally, people succeed.

It's only been 150 years or so since oil has been processed into various fuels and handling those fuels (gasoline, diesel, etc.) certainly was dangerous back in the day. We routinely handle that stuff without thinking much about it anymore. Lots of tractor-trailer rigs hauling it around and you rarely hear of any kind of incident.

While I think we're probably decades away from any kind of "battery power" that even comes close to what we get out of fossil fuels, I do think the problem is eventually solveable.

With taxpayer money, of course.  :whatever:

And that's the part I object to. If there are those who want to invest in renewable fuels, have at it. Incur your failures and learn from them. Let me know when you have something that works. But batteries ain't it -- at least for now.

That's the difference between conservative/capitalists and leftist/proggie/moonbats.  Build a better mousetrap and the world will beat a path to your door as the saying goes.  Have the government give a minimum requirement and slap laws demanding that minimum be met, history tells us you get grift, pork, wasted taxpayer money, and only if you're very lucky, something that almost meets those minimum requirements. 

Unleashed US ingenuity, the desire to make a legitimate paycheck and legit public demand will create genuine alternatives to internal combustion engines (and according to some CTs already has, but Big Oil/Big Auto bought the patents and are sitting on them).  Heck, I'd love an effective solar car that only has to stop on road trips when I need to pee.  But not with a battery that will cost more than the car to replace and is a hazmat problem in an accident. 
Romans 6:17-18 But thanks be to God, that you who were once slaves of sin have become obedient from the heart to the standard of teaching to which you were committed, and, having been set free from sin, have become slaves of righteousness.

Offline Old n Grumpy

I know pick a largely vacant state in the west, spend billions digging a big hole to bury them and when it's finished have some "activists" nix it!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sound familiar?
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!