Author Topic: The death of downtown: San Francisco, Cleveland and Portland have seen activity  (Read 274 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
The death of downtown: San Francisco, Cleveland and Portland have seen activity drop by almost 50 percent - as soaring crime in the Democrat-run cities forces workers, tourists and homeowners away
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11126101/Portland-San-Francisco-Cleveland-Americas-deserted-downtown-areas.html

San Francisco, Cleveland and Portland have the most deserted downtowns in the US as soaring crime rates in the Democratic cities scare away workers and tourists.

In a recent study by the Institute of Governmental Studies at the University of California Berkeley, San Francisco's downtown area was found to be only 31 percent active over the spring of 2022 when compared to pre-pandemic levels, with Cleveland at 36 percent and Portland at 41 percent.

Meanwhile, cities like Salt Lake City, Utah, Bakersfield, California and Columbus Ohio are enjoying the fastest comeback, seeing their downtown activity go up by more than 110 percent since 2019.

By tracking more than 18 million smartphone users traveling through America's busiest downtowns, researchers found that the three cities, which have been plagued by a spike in crime, are trailing in COVID-19 recovery.

People are not going to downtown San Francisco and Portland due to increasing crime rates and drugs. No surprise they are leftist run cities.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline SVPete

While obviously a factor, more has contributed to this than "just" crime. Malls and shopping centers have been shifting shoppers from downtown areas for decades. Amazon and other online retailers have been shifting shoppers from brick-and-mortar stores to their computers and front porches. I haven't done anything besides running events in central San Jose since the 1980s or 1970s.

As to SF, access, parking, and egress SUCK. I haven't done anything in SF besides some running events (mostly transporting my son), a couple of trips to a consulate, and a visit to a museum, again, since the 1980s. Were SF to be magically cleaned, criminals vacuumed up, and sane government restored, I'd still avoid the place.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Meanwhile, cities like Salt Lake City, Utah, Bakersfield, California and Columbus Ohio are enjoying the fastest comeback, seeing their downtown activity go up by more than 110 percent since 2019.

I can't speak for the rest of these leftist-run urban hell holes, but while Salt Lake City may be economically doing BETTER than shit holes like San Fran, Cleaveland or Portland, saying it that way isn't saying much.
Riding the light rail system into the city to go to work, I see a dozen homeless camps or more just along that route.
My employer's office suite is just a couple of blocks south of Temple Square, and walking from the light rail platform to the office (across the street and then 1/2 a block) is impossible to do without encounters with the omnioresent, ever more aggressive pan handlers.
Making that walk every morning and evening, I pass storefronts that have been posted for rent for months now - over a year in some cases - with no change in status.

I realize I'm fairly biased (I'm physically uncomfortable going thru Walmart for groceries during the holiday season due to the crowds, for example) but I wouldn't personally locate MY business in Salt Lake Shitty, any more than I would the Shitty of Portland, Shitty of San Francisco or the Shitty of Cleaveland.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
I follow the news in Seattle and Portland and I've found that the majority of the urban migration is directly related to crime and homelessness. There are plenty of vlogs and local news stories on Youtube where you can follow the action Pre-covid these cities were growing liberal meccas but now long-term residents can't get out fast enough. In a related story out of California, U-Haul is near to running out of moving trucks because the number of people exiting is greater than those coming to stay.

https://www.motorbiscuit.com/u-haul-ran-moving-trucks-people-california/

According to the transactional data, the most U-Haul trucks left California this year and did not return. Second on the list was Illinois. Exactly how many people moved out of California last year? Too many to count. California ranked the top state for leaving, but U-Haul ran out of trucks to help people get out. Due to the lack of inventory, the actual number of people who left can’t be calculated.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline Old n Grumpy

Malls and shopping centers have been shifting shoppers from downtown areas for decades.

But the malls have been suffering for a long time as well. they have been taken over by chain stores and are all the same, and roving bands of feral youths have also driven people away.
It's sad with the downtown areas because they tend to have nice restaurants and small stores usually run by mom & pop and offer unique items.

The liberals and various activist groups have ruined our cities and the cancer is spreading to the smaller cities as well.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!