Author Topic: Easy, Tiger...  (Read 1504 times)

Offline Drafe Hoblin

Easy, Tiger...
« on: December 09, 2021, 04:58:44 PM »
What a priceless Christmas-gift he's giving his son, Charlie...

Getting back on the course for a father-son tournament in Orlando in a few days:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/tiger-woods-golf-return-pnc-championship

Last February, he broke his leg in 4 places.

I broke my leg in 2 and could hobble pretty-okay on the driving-range in about 10-months.  But putting was murder.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of technique he employs.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

Re: Easy, Tiger...
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2021, 09:33:34 AM »
Tiger looked 'almost ready' to be back on-tour.  He & his kid are tied for 5th.  His distance off-the-tee was about a club short and of course he needed a cart.  But like I thought, he only showed pain-grimaces on the greens, where you have to stand still, stand and measure, stand and wait.

Unfortunately, the Tournament's format was unwatchable.  I never watched a father/son tournament before and I thought it was supposed to be 'match-play'.  It looked like 'best shot' play or something.  That means half the shots didn't matter and the cameras were switching all over the course.  Probably okay live.  On television?  Awful.

At least I got to see Lee Trevino nail a 25-footer for an eagle

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2021, 09:39:16 AM »
Tiger looked 'almost ready' to be back on-tour.  He & his kid are tied for 5th.  His distance off-the-tee was about a club short and of course he needed a cart.  But like I thought, he only showed pain-grimaces on the greens, where you have to stand still, stand and measure, stand and wait.

Unfortunately, the Tournament's format was unwatchable.  I never watched a father/son tournament before and I thought it was supposed to be 'match-play'.  It looked like 'best shot' play or something.  That means half the shots didn't matter and the cameras were switching all over the course.  Probably okay live.  On television?  Awful.

At least I got to see Lee Trevino nail a 25-footer for an eagle.

Didn't watch much, but Tigger looks like a 70 year old dude.  While I always respect his talent, I've never rooted for him.  After he won the Masters a couple of years ago, the idiot sports clowns were calling it the "greatest comeback in sports history".  To that I say, the bus that Ben Hogan was nearly killed by in 1949 says "Hi, Tiger."
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2021, 01:28:45 PM »
Tiger reportedly was speeding when he crashed -- so goes it sometimes. I don't wish injury on anybody, however, and I'm glad he didn't lose his leg.

But George says it best - at about the 35 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlTr2GSVUGg
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 05:25:06 PM »
Tiger reportedly was speeding when he crashed -- so goes it sometimes. I don't wish injury on anybody, however, and I'm glad he didn't lose his leg.

But George says it best - at about the 35 second mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlTr2GSVUGg

Don't even need to watch, because I know that clip well.

For the at least the last decade, a golf buddy runs a Masters pool that ends up being worth several thousand dollars.  After all that time, last November I finished in 2nd place by 1 lousy stroke, but won several hundred dollars.  Decided to by the "George Carlin Collection", a DVD box set of all of his HBO specials (14 I believe), and additional hours of bonus footage and routines.  Nothing I would just splurge on, but if it is a slow news/sports day, I'll pop one of them into the DVD player.  Still hilarious and topical.

Online Muddling 2

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 09:00:41 PM »
What a priceless Christmas-gift he's giving his son, Charlie...

Getting back on the course for a father-son tournament in Orlando in a few days:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/tiger-woods-golf-return-pnc-championship

Last February, he broke his leg in 4 places.

I broke my leg in 2 and could hobble pretty-okay on the driving-range in about 10-months.  But putting was murder.  It'll be interesting to see what kind of technique he employs.

I was in training the week Tiger won his first Masters.  Another guy in the class was a huge golf whor............err........."enthusiast"........

He could NOT stop talking about it..........

:-)
You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.
Robert A. Heinlein

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2022, 09:37:10 AM »
I was in training the week Tiger won his first Masters.  Another guy in the class was a huge golf whor............err........."enthusiast"........

He could NOT stop talking about it..........

:-)

Some people just love the new hot young star and hop on the proverbial bandwagon.

Was in my early-mid 20's when "Tigger" emerged on the amateur golf scene, and it appeared potentially inevitable that he would be a great player.  The golf magazines had him on their covers constantly before he even turned professional.

No one could have ever projected him to win 15 major titles, but he was clearly "trained" to do it by his drill sergeant father Earl.  Also no one could have predicted that he'd go through several major difficulties in his personal life.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2022, 06:44:26 PM »
My beef with Tiger before his first Masters Title was that Nike gave him too much money for not accomplishing anything.  Then he won by 12-shots or something.

After that came the news that Augusta was 'Tiger-proofing' the course by lengthening it.  Seemed like there was a racial tone to it, but not really.  The television audience was tuning-out on Sundays because Tiger's leads were usually insurmountable by Saturday.