Author Topic: Defund The Fed-Ex Cup  (Read 1278 times)

Offline Drafe Hoblin

Defund The Fed-Ex Cup
« on: July 25, 2021, 09:48:46 AM »
We don't need it.  We needed 'the rankings', but we never needed a string of 'money for nothing' elimination-tournaments following the 'final Major... 

Just have one Tournament featuring the Top-125 players.  Done.  Current-day, and especially during COVID, the PGA and all their charity-corporations and corporate-preeners are looking like a self-congratulatory toga-party.

Save August for the President's Cup, the Olympics, and the Ryder Cup.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Defund The Fed-Ex Cup
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 12:09:52 PM »
We don't need it.  We needed 'the rankings', but we never needed a string of 'money for nothing' elimination-tournaments following the 'final Major... 

Just have one Tournament featuring the Top-125 players.  Done.  Current-day, and especially during COVID, the PGA and all their charity-corporations and corporate-preeners are looking like a self-congratulatory toga-party.

Save August for the President's Cup, the Olympics, and the Ryder Cup.

Could not agree more.  As an avid golf fan since the days of the Sammy Davis Jr. Greater Hartford Open and the Joe Garagiola Tucson Open, this FedEx Cup is pretty much just a cash grab for the already wealthy pros.

Although this isn't entirely new.  During the 1930's, 40's, and 50's, there were numerous team events such as the Miami International Four-Ball, Palm Beach Round Robin, etc.  It only rewarded the relatively few pros who already made a lot of money (which was in the tens of thousands of dollars, not millions).

I'll elaborate on my golf history knowledge at some point, as I've been working on a potential book and/or website to share such research.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2021, 04:53:31 PM »
You're right.  I entirely forgot about those manufactured (in an innocent way) events... when most of the pro's had to pay their own way to have a chance to enter.  The participants were usually the same group of guys... who tended to be past their prime.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2021, 05:37:41 PM »
You're right.  I entirely forgot about those manufactured (in an innocent way) events... when most of the pro's had to pay their own way to have a chance to enter.  The participants were usually the same group of guys... who tended to be past their prime.

Even golf fans (other than the snobbish writers) don't give two craps about the FedEx Cup.

Frankly, I give a damn about rewarding wins, especially in major championships.  The events in L.A., Fort Worth, Detroit, etc. raise a ton of money for local charities, while rewarding the players.  I believe the PGA Tour has helped contribute to donating over $2 billion to charitable ventures, mostly local since its founding.

But this is a new development from early in the year:

Exclusive: PGA Tour to create $40 million bonus pool for stars like Tiger Woods, Bryson DeChambeau

The PGA Tour has created a lucrative bonus structure that will reward golf’s biggest stars regardless of how they perform on the course, Golfweek has learned. The new system is designed to compensate players who are judged to drive fan and sponsor engagement, like Tiger Woods, Bryson DeChambeau and Rickie Fowler.

A PGA Tour spokesperson confirmed to Golfweek that the Player Impact Program began January 1 to “recognize and reward players who positively move the needle.” At the end of the year, a pool of $40 million will be distributed among 10 players, with the player deemed most valuable receiving $8 million.

The 10 beneficiaries will be determined based on their “Impact Score,” a number generated from six separate metrics that are designed to quantify that individual’s added value. According to a document the PGA Tour distributed to players, the contents of which were shared with Golfweek, the metrics on which players will be ranked against their peers include:

(1) Their position on the season-ending FedEx Cup points list.
*Update: While FedEx Cup rank was included among criterion in the document players received, the tour tells Golfweek that it will not be used as a metric to determine bonus payments.

(2) Their popularity in Google Search

(3) Their Nielsen Brand Exposure rating, which places a value on the exposure a player delivers to sponsors though the minutes they are featured on broadcasts.

(4) Their Q Rating, which measures the familiarity and appeal of a player’s brand.

(5) Their MVP Index rating, which calibrates the value of the engagement a player drives across social and digital channels.

(6) Their Meltwater Mentions, or the frequency with which a player generates coverage across a range of media platforms.

The Tour will employ an algorithm to turn the values from each metric into Impact Scores for every player and a ranking of those Scores then determines the bonus amount due.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2021/04/20/pga-tour-bonus-pool-top-players-tiger-woods-bryson-dechambeau/

In other words, if players get lots of social media cred (Rickie Fowler, Bryson, obviously Tigger), they win a huge pot of honey from this pool. 
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2021, 05:10:21 PM »
I can't imagine that gambit will be successful.  Sounds like the PGA doesn't understand 'grassroots TV' fandom, current day.

By-and-large, the fans like hot-heads and irreverent barstool-philosophers.  Not robots.