Author Topic: A simple question  (Read 3315 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
A simple question
« on: July 14, 2008, 05:25:49 PM »
Is it legal in this country to offer an item or items for sale and refuse cash (legal tender)?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
Re: A simple question
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2008, 06:11:39 PM »
Is it legal in this country to offer an item or items for sale and refuse cash (legal tender)?

What, like the barter system? I don't see why it wouldn't be legal. People trade things all the time. ...that is, unless I woke up in 2010 and Baracka is the President.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline djones520

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 06:15:12 PM »
I don't think it's illegal to accept trade, but I do think it is illegal to refuse cash.  It says right on the bill that the note is legal tender for all debts, public and private.

So if you where going to sell something to someone, I don't think you could tell them you won't take cash, only 10lbs of fish.  Or something of the sort.

But I don't have any real qualifications on that.  Just how I believe the system works.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2008, 06:18:40 PM »
I don't think it's illegal to accept trade, but I do think it is illegal to refuse cash.  It says right on the bill that the note is legal tender for all debts, public and private.

So if you where going to sell something to someone, I don't think you could tell them you won't take cash, only 10lbs of fish.  Or something of the sort.

But I don't have any real qualifications on that.  Just how I believe the system works.

Someone might want to make a trip to Lancaster and tell the Amish.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline djones520

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2008, 06:22:27 PM »

Someone might want to make a trip to Lancaster and tell the Amish.

*shrugs*  Never had much dealings with the Amish.  Drove through a town of theirs some years back, thats about it.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2008, 07:22:42 PM »
Ok, lemme be more specific.  Can you refuse cash, and accept credit cards only?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline djones520

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2008, 07:41:49 PM »
From the US Treasury website.

Question: I thought that United States currency was legal tender for all debts. Some businesses or governmental agencies say that they will only accept checks, money orders or credit cards as payment, and others will only accept currency notes in denominations of $20 or smaller. Isn't this illegal?

Answer: The pertinent portion of law that applies to your question is the Coinage Act of 1965, specifically Section 31 U.S.C. 5103, entitled "Legal tender," which states: "United States coins and currency (including Federal reserve notes and circulating notes of Federal reserve banks and national banks) are legal tender for all debts, public charges, taxes, and dues."

This statute means that all United States money as identified above are a valid and legal offer of payment for debts when tendered to a creditor. There is, however, no Federal statute mandating that a private business, a person or an organization must accept currency or coins as for payment for goods and/or services. Private businesses are free to develop their own policies on whether or not to accept cash unless there is a State law which says otherwise. For example, a bus line may prohibit payment of fares in pennies or dollar bills. In addition, movie theaters, convenience stores and gas stations may refuse to accept large denomination currency (usually notes above $20) as a matter of policy.

http://www.treas.gov/education/faq/currency/legal-tender.shtml

My google-foo is strong.  *flexes*   :-)

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 07:51:41 PM »
That's true, some stores refuse $100 bills all the time.   

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 02:31:01 PM »
that's weird. I've seen places say 'cash only', not 'credit card only'.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 02:49:38 PM »
that's weird. I've seen places say 'cash only', not 'credit card only'.

When I was working on a project in Salt Lake City last year, the hotel I was staying at would not accept cash.  They also wouldn't accept a check (duh.)  If you didn't have a credit or debit card to pay for your stay, you weren't staying.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 03:01:51 PM »
Innkeepers need a way to charge you for damages or extra stuff. They do look down on cash.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 03:04:47 PM »
Innkeepers need a way to charge you for damages or extra stuff. They do look down on cash.

Yup. 

You know how we wild Engineers are notorious for trashing hotel rooms, running up huge room service bills, hosting in-room orgies at the wee hours of the morning, and generally making innkeepers lives a nervous wreck.

It's all part of living the dream I guess.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 07:45:04 PM »
You can "barter" for goods, but it has to be reported to the IRS and the state/city (where taxes apply) so they can get their cut from the transaction. It's in the tax code. I read it years ago.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!