Author Topic: Has Trump ruined the High Holy Days for DUpipo?  (Read 634 times)

Offline Mary Ann

Has Trump ruined the High Holy Days for DUpipo?
« on: August 09, 2020, 08:52:04 AM »
Yes, it's August 2020, 75 years since the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Usually this week provides the best insight into just how much DUpipo hate the US. This year, their hearts just don't seem to be in it, for some reason. This thread is kind of typical. There are a couple of the expected posts--war crimes, blah, blah, blah, but this thread gets sidetracked a couple of times by a tribute to a DU author, and even to a '57 Chevy. It just isn't the same. The only thing I can think of is that Trump has sucked all the joy out of their lives...

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213861625
Star Member Dennis Donovan (17,938 posts)

75 Years Ago Today; Little Boy forever changes life on Earth

(followed by Wikipedia article)

A different post, https://www.democraticunderground.com/1016264869 provided this gem of a Bouncy conversation:

Buckeye_Democrat (7,237 posts)

1. There's no excuse for Trump...

... to have control of the nuclear football either.

I'd prefer total disarmament, but I doubt that will ever happen unless humanity survives an "accident" of some kind. Too many people would probably need to see the destruction themselves.

I've even seen posters in DU write stuff like, "Back when nuclear weapons were a concern," as if it's all past-tense!

Side-story:
And there's many other lessons that need to be learned too!
I worked with a 20-year-old girl who asked me one morning, after getting a cup of coffee from the break room (where the TV news was probably memorializing this piece of history), "What's Hiroshima?"
Me: "Hiroshima? The city in Japan?"
Her: "I don't know, so I asked you."
Me: "It's a city in Japan where the USA dropped a nuclear bomb."
Her: "WHAT?! We nuked somebody?! Oh my gawwwd!"
Me: "Yes, yes... years ago. It helped to end WW2 in 1945."
Her: "Oh my gawwwd! The Japanese must hate us!"
Me: "Well, the USA helped to rebuild their country later and we're allies now. Although I've sometimes wondered if some of them indeed hate us, based on my experiences working at some Japanese-owned companies before coming here. We dropped another nuclear bomb on Nagasaki in Japan a few days later."
Her: "Another one?! Oh my gawwwd! What's wrong with us?!"
Me: "The common argument was that it would save more lives in the long-run because Japan seemed unwilling to ever surrender otherwise. Do you know anything about WW2? Like how we were at war with Japan, Germany and Italy?"
Her: "We were at war with Germany too?"
Me: "Yes! You've at least heard about the Nazis and Adolf Hitler, right?"
Her: "Oh, yeah! I thought they were only at war with the Jews."
Me: (Walked away)

I wonder if Buckeye Democrat understand that this conversation (if it happened) reveals an awful lot about the state of public education in this country?

Offline SVPete

Re: Has Trump ruined the High Holy Days for DUpipo?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 09:20:56 AM »
A different post, https://www.democraticunderground.com/1016264869 provided this gem of a Bouncy conversation:

I wonder if Buckeye Democrat understand that this conversation (if it happened) reveals an awful lot about the state of public education in this country?

The "Was it right to drop the bomb?" argument has probably been an annual ritual since August, 1946. Nothing new has been uncovered in decades other than the recently told (recent for me, at least) info was that had the B-29 not been adapted in time to accommodate the two A-bombs British Lancaster bombers with mid-air refueling would have been used instead (the Lancaster had the bomb bay capacity, but not the necessary range).

WW2 has been getting short-shrift in elementary and high school History classes since the 60s. At that time it was because the teachers ran out of school year before getting to the 1940s. Now, IMO, it's because in the Pacific the bad guys and the good guys both had the wrong skin color. Hiroshima can't be discussed without opening the 55-gallon drum of context-worms. Justifying the Rape of Nanking, Pearl Harbor, the Bataan Death March, Unit 731, etc., etc., etc. is more than just about any Prog would want to try. I would love to see some Prog-Moron like Pam try to explain the "Comfort Women" to students named Kim, Park, and Lee! That could get volatile!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 11:41:32 AM »
The DUmmie's little dialog with the 20 year old shows how bad schools are.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 12:07:13 PM »

And is pretty heterodox - if not downright heretical - since Buckeye_Democrat is basically giving justifications for dropping the bomb.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 05:24:16 PM »

Well, afterall she got her $40,000.00 degree in social justice and the dynamics of vaginal equality. History wasn't included in the study. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 05:43:02 PM »
Well, afterall she got her $40,000.00 degree in social justice and the dynamics of vaginal equality. History wasn't included in the study. :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Only $40,000?  That one got a deal.  Usually they're in for six figures for a useless degree from an out-of-state liberal arts school.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.