Author Topic: Tortilla Recipes Please?  (Read 3942 times)

Offline cavegal

Tortilla Recipes Please?
« on: September 28, 2010, 03:06:32 PM »
My Great Aunt used to make the best. The recipe died with her. Anyone have a recipe? Flour kind.

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Karin

Re: Tortilla Recipes Please?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2010, 04:06:06 PM »
I once did a lot of research on that, and came away discouraged.  My husband wanted to make them soooo badly, the way his ex-wife's grandmother did it.   The info I found on the net pretty much told you to just go buy them, it's too aggravating. 

He attempted to make them, and they were inedible. 

Offline cavegal

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 04:24:37 PM »
I once did a lot of research on that, and came away discouraged.  My husband wanted to make them soooo badly, the way his ex-wife's grandmother did it.   The info I found on the net pretty much told you to just go buy them, it's too aggravating. 

He attempted to make them, and they were inedible. 
Oh oh, not what I wanted to hear. Anyone else?

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 04:26:09 PM »
I think Alton Brown did a show on tortillas.  You might want to check the Food Network's website.

I'd be more interested in a good tamale recipe.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 04:53:49 PM »
I think Alton Brown did a show on tortillas.  You might want to check the Food Network's website.

He surely did.  It was on last night.   :-)
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline soleil

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 05:29:24 PM »

The best tamales are from this little place in the MS delta. Unreal. Seriously. They are famous for their steaks and tamales. In fact all they serve is steak, fries, salad, tamales, and shrimp.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 06:51:32 PM »
I found this one but haven't tried it yet. If you do, let me know how it is.

Texas Flour Tortillas (adapted from The Border Cookbook by Cheryl Alters Jamison and Bill Jamison)
Ingredients:
Two cups of all-purpose flour (can make them whole wheat by substituting one cup of whole-wheat flour for white flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of vegetable oil
3/4 cups of warm milk

Method:
Mix together the flour, baking powder, salt and oil.
Slowly add the warm milk.
Stir until a loose, sticky ball is formed.
Knead for two minutes on a floured surface. Dough should be firm and soft.
Place dough in a bowl and cover with a damp cloth or plastic wrap for 20 minutes.
After the dough has rested, break off eight sections, roll them into balls in your hands, place on a plate (make sure they aren’t touching) and then cover balls with damp cloth or plastic wrap for 10 minutes. (It’s very important to let the dough rest, otherwise it will be like elastic and won’t roll out to a proper thickness and shape.)
After dough has rested, one at a time place a dough ball on a floured surface, pat it out into a four-inch circle, and then roll with a rolling pin from the center until it’s thin and about eight inches in diameter. (If you roll out pie crusts you’ll have no problem with this.) Don’t over work the dough, or it’ll be stiff. Keep rolled-out tortillas covered until ready to cook.
In a dry iron skillet or comal heated on high, cook the tortilla about thirty seconds on each side. It should start to puff a bit when it’s done.
Keep cooked tortillas covered wrapped in a napkin until ready to eat.
Can be reheated in a dry iron skillet, over your gas-burner flame or in the oven wrapped in foil.
While you probably won’t have any leftovers, you can store in the fridge tightly wrapped in foil or plastic for a day or so.
Makes eight tortillas.

http://homesicktexan.blogspot.com/2007/03/and-end-to-my-quest-flour-tortillas.html

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 08:29:36 PM »
I use self-rising flour for tortillas, get it at the dollar store really cheap. There is usually a tortilla recipe on the bag.

Basically just self rising flour, shortening, bit of salt, and some water.

Add the salt, cut in the shortening, mix in the water, knead and let rest about ten minutes, break up into golf ball sized balls.

Roll them out, toss them in the griddle a minute or less each side.

Now here is the tricky part. ---> Stack them on a plate, and cover with foil as you make them. (I put a piece of unwaxed paper between them). When you have a whole stack done, let them sit covered for an hour or so. This flattens out the air bubbles, and allows the moisture to equalize between the moist inner part and the dry crusty outer part.

It's fairly labor intensive, so i usually do a good sized batch, and freeze most of them in Ziplock freezer bags.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2010, 09:49:46 PM »
The best tamales are from this little place in the MS delta. Unreal. Seriously. They are famous for their steaks and tamales. In fact all they serve is steak, fries, salad, tamales, and shrimp.
I could eat tamales all day long.

That's why I look like Patrick Star.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2010, 09:52:04 PM »
I use self-rising flour for tortillas, get it at the dollar store really cheap. There is usually a tortilla recipe on the bag.

Basically just self rising flour, shortening, bit of salt, and some water.

Add the salt, cut in the shortening LARD, mix in the water, knead and let rest about ten minutes, break up into golf ball sized balls.

Roll them out, toss them in the griddle a minute or less each side.

Now here is the tricky part. ---> Stack them on a plate, and cover with foil as you make them. (I put a piece of unwaxed paper between them). When you have a whole stack done, let them sit covered for an hour or so. This flattens out the air bubbles, and allows the moisture to equalize between the moist inner part and the dry crusty outer part.

It's fairly labor intensive, so i usually do a good sized batch, and freeze most of them in Ziplock freezer bags.

FIFY......... LARD is where the good flavor comes from. Real Mexican style flour tortillas use lard.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 09:54:34 PM »
I stopped by a grocery store in the barrio a while ago.  Someone had a tortilla press in their front seat. :p

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 10:35:41 PM »
You have barrios in TN? 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 10:36:26 PM »
Yep.  Taco trucks for miles and there's a strip of Nolensville Road that has converted gas stations into food stands.

Offline debk

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2010, 12:24:00 AM »
You have barrios in TN? 

Not where I live. There are quite a few Mexicans here, but a lot more up in Morristown -about 45 minutes away.  Morristown did have....not sure if it still does...the largest Mexican population (per capita) of any area in the state.

Yep.  Taco trucks for miles and there's a strip of Nolensville Road that has converted gas stations into food stands.

Good food?  :drool:
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 09:40:46 AM »
Good food?  :drool:

I'm not a fan of food poisoning, so I haven't found out yet.

Offline debk

« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 10:09:19 AM »
I'm not a fan of food poisoning, so I haven't found out yet.

No regulating, hmmm? I wouldn't be trying them either, then.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.