Author Topic: New Laptop  (Read 2981 times)

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
New Laptop
« on: April 13, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good lap top for a beginner
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
Re: New Laptop
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 06:50:49 AM »
Avoid the HP/Compaq V6000 and DV6000 models.  They're dirt cheap but they have defective motherboards and HP still sells them.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 06:53:28 AM by Chris »
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 07:35:43 AM »
I got my Toshiba Satellite L305 laptop last November and its going strong. It was on the cheap end, although I sprang for the 2 year warranty. No webcam or anything, I avoided those laptops but it had 2GB of RAM instead of 1.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 08:30:13 AM »
I will heartily endorse Toshiba. I have a Toshiba Satellite 1805 purchased back in mid 1999. I've had ZERO hardware issues with it. Once I wiped Windows ME off it and installed XP, it's been perfect. I also have a newer Toshiba that I use at the VFW. It has Vista on it. It also works fine except when unauthorized users get on it and get viruses. ( I fixed that problem). I also like the layout of the keyboards on the Toshibas better than most of the others.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 09:28:18 AM »
My Toshiba's an '05 and still running great. See the Qosmio yet?  :drool:
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2010, 10:15:31 AM »
Can anyone recommend a good lap top for a beginner

Go to New Egg and look up laptops in your price range. Choose a few and look at the customer responses. Especially if there are alot of them.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2010, 11:12:26 PM »
Go to New Egg and look up laptops in your price range. Choose a few and look at the customer responses. Especially if there are alot of them.
Newegg is a good site, but Best Buy (gag) and 3btech.net are also very good sites. Best Buy has been running some pretty decent deals on Toshibas since Christmas. (I refuse to buy a Dell or HP)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson