Author Topic: Im so sick of people who say we need a public option!!!!  (Read 6691 times)

Offline BillyDontLoseMyNumber

• Probationary (Probie)
Im so sick of people who say we need a public option!!!!
« on: November 14, 2009, 03:35:36 PM »
Listen to this winey family, man these people just need to buck up and get over it, the insurance company was totally justified in dropping her, I mean who cares about peoples lives when there is a bottom line to think about.  ::) ::)

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705343922/Survey-says-medical-debt-is-harming-families.html?linkTrack=rss-30

Offline zeitgeist

Re: Im so sick of people who say we need a public option!!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 04:00:23 PM »
Listen to this winey family, man these people just need to buck up and get over it, the insurance company was totally justified in dropping her, I mean who cares about peoples lives when there is a bottom line to think about.  ::) ::)

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/705343922/Survey-says-medical-debt-is-harming-families.html?linkTrack=rss-30

And had we had said public option we would still have Terri Shiavo with us too. Right??
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2009, 04:03:20 PM »
And had we had said public option we would still have Terri Shiavo with us too. Right??

And Christopher Reeve would still be alive and walking around just like John Kerry promised us. 

Normal people go to church; liberals worship at the altar of big government and believe Congress can raise the dead.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2009, 04:06:04 PM »
Just think , under 0BamaCare no one will be denied surgery and just given pain pills.   We won't have to worry about some bureaucrat denying care or treatment, because money grows on trees for the federal government.

Online Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2009, 04:09:14 PM »
Billy...honest question and asking for an honest answer.

What do you define or believe the "public option" to be?

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 04:10:22 PM »
And Christopher Reeve would still be alive and walking around just like John Kerry promised us. 

Normal people go to church; liberals worship at the altar of big government and believe Congress can raise the dead.

Only in Chicago during an election year!! :naughty:

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 04:17:14 PM »
Billy...honest question and asking for an honest answer.

What do you define or believe the "public option" to be?

What I would like to see is a public option that would assure that it Insurance companies would not be able to deny coverage to people like the example in the article, right now insurance companies have far to much power and pull in saying what they will and will not cover because there is no comepetition. Say the famiy in this article was to go try to go to another company for insurance, the same thing would happen and they would be denied coverage. A public option would make insurance companies produce a better quality product and a better price or face going out of business and situations like the one described in the article would stop.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 04:25:27 PM by BillyDontLoseMyNumber »

Online Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 04:36:01 PM »
What I would like to see is a public option that would assure that it Insurance companies would not be able to deny coverage to people like the example in the article, right now insurance companies have far to much power and pull in saying what they will and will not cover because there is no comepetition. Say the famiy in this article was to go try to go to another company for insurance, the same thing would happen and they would be denied coverage. A public option would make insurance companies produce a better quality product and a better price or face going out of business and situations like the one described in the article would stop.

That is what you want a public option to do but that doesn`t define the terms of what a public option is..that is what I am asking.

What is the public option by definition?
Is it an insurance plan that has a reserve pool of monies from premium payments or is it a printing press without any insured contribution?

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 04:46:29 PM »
That is what you want a public option to do but that doesn`t define the terms of what a public option is..that is what I am asking.

What is the public option by definition?
Is it an insurance plan that has a reserve pool of monies from premium payments or is it a printing press without any insured contribution?

The way I understand it from what I have read, it is a system from premium payments to provide people not covered by insurance either because of disability or financial standing a cheaper Goverment run option.

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 04:51:11 PM »
Ah, so the answer to the problem of people giving away too much of their own personal power and control to a large, faceless entity is to give even more personal power and control to an even larger and less sympathetic entity.  I see now.  Your argument has instantly turned me into a liberal.

I shall now go out and buy a pink dress and yell incoherently at soldiers and Republicans.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 04:55:38 PM »
The way I understand it from what I have read, it is a system from premium payments to provide people not covered by insurance either because of disability or financial standing a cheaper Goverment run option.

So who pays these 'premiums' and what are they based upon, have you come across this in your reading?

By the way, why do I keep seeing ads for supplemental insurance to cover "what Medicare does not"? (Usually run by AARP).  What's up with that??  

Online Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »

How then will private insurance "compete" if it is cheaper and just relies on cranking up the presses to offset revenue shortfalls?
Who will pay those premiums...will there be a cut off or a differing rate based on income?

Why would a government run plan be cheaper?
Would it restrict the amount it will pay for a procedure or restrict a procedure totally if it isn`t going to spend borrowed money?

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2009, 05:10:41 PM »

I am curious about the thinking behind the idea that because such-n-such program is "government run" people will not be denied treatment.  History shows us that making oneself a liability to the public treasury is always a terrible idea.  

A private insurer can include some exclusions in the contract with which you may not agree, and you can accept these things or move on.  But once you are covered, you  have a contract.  Agreed upon coverage cannot be denied.  Your premium due date is the insurer's payday.  

The government can deny treatment and change the law as the wind blows.  Your death is the government's payday.

Why would any thinking intelligent adult be in favor of a government-run anything?  

Offline bkg

« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 05:48:31 PM »
We need public-run car insurance too. Hate to see someone dropped or have to give up their daily latte's after they have a few DUI's.

::)

Online Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2009, 05:56:01 PM »
We need public-run car insurance too. Hate to see someone dropped or have to give up their daily latte's after they have a few DUI's.

::)

I would say a valid point and there is in NY at least a public option under those circumstances..it is called the "risk pool" with substantially higher premiums.

Billy fwiw is interacting and discussing here so hope we can continue.
My feeling is that Billy like a lot of folks on the left have mixed up the term "public" with "free" so want to see just how much he understands of the thing out of curiosity.

Offline bkg

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 06:08:45 PM »
I would say a valid point and there is in NY at least a public option under those circumstances..it is called the "risk pool" with substantially higher premiums.

Billy fwiw is interacting and discussing here so hope we can continue.
My feeling is that Billy like a lot of folks on the left have mixed up the term "public" with "free" so want to see just how much he understands of the thing out of curiosity.

Obama/Pelosi don't want the higher premiums. They think that's evil.

My dad died waiting for a heart transplant. I spent 25 of the first 28 years of my life in hospitals with him. He would be the last person for public option. And I'm tired of people thinking they deserve something for nothing or bitching about having to pay for insurance while refusing to give up their lattes, Wii, dining out, cable, internet, etc. I'm tired of paying the amount of taxes I do - and knowing it will increase $10K+ with this bill - while others live off of me. I'm angry and this bill has nothing to do with making insurance cheaper - even the CBO admits it. So I have no problem telling people to f-off when it comes to this issue. :-)

Online Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2009, 06:12:09 PM »
Obama/Pelosi don't want the higher premiums. They think that's evil.

My dad died waiting for a heart transplant. I spent 25 of the first 28 years of my life in hospitals with him. He would be the last person for public option. And I'm tired of people thinking they deserve something for nothing or bitching about having to pay for insurance while refusing to give up their lattes, Wii, dining out, cable, internet, etc. I'm tired of paying the amount of taxes I do - and knowing it will increase $10K+ with this bill - while others live off of me. I'm angry and this bill has nothing to do with making insurance cheaper - even the CBO admits it. So I have no problem telling people to f-off when it comes to this issue. :-)

That is what I am trying to get Billy here to see on the idea he has never thought about it but heard "public" so thought it meant free.

If he is reasonably thoughtful he will see that what he presumes is false.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2009, 06:42:22 PM »
That is what I am trying to get Billy here to see on the idea he has never thought about it but heard "public" so thought it meant free.

If he is reasonably thoughtful he will see that what he presumes is false.

Makes me wonder if Silly Billy knows the difference between PUBLIC OPTION AND

SINGLE PAYER??

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2009, 07:49:46 PM »
The public option in Britain...

Plumber with shattered arm left horrifically bent out of shape has operation 'cancelled four times'
By Daily Mail Reporter
Last updated at 10:42 PM on 08th October 2009
Comments (210) Add to My Stories

A plumber whose arm was left twisted grotesquely out of shape in an accident ten months ago has had an operation to correct it 'cancelled four times'.

Torron Eeles, 50, has been left unable to work since falling down the stairs and now fears he may lose his home after being denied incapacity benefit.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1218927/Plumber-shattered-arm-left-horrifically-bent-shape-operation-cancelled-times.html#ixzz0Wt9VCuU2

Smoker refused operation on broken ankle

Published: 12:01AM BST 14 Sep 2007

A smoker is facing years of pain after an NHS hospital refused to set his broken ankle unless he gives up cigarettes.

John Nuttall, 57, needs the operation to fix the ankle he broke in three places two years ago and which was not healed by a plaster cast.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/1563108/Smoker-refused-operation-on-broken-ankle.html

This would be SO much better than a system where anyone can walk into any not-for-profit emergency room and demand treatment for any condition regardless of their ability to pay.   ::) ::)

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2009, 07:51:42 PM »
The public option in Britain...

This would be SO much better than a system where anyone can walk into any not-for-profit emergency room and demand treatment for any condition regardless of their ability to pay.   ::) ::)

That would not have happened here in the US.  Even more telling about government care is that he is still suffering despite the media scrutiny. 

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2009, 07:55:29 PM »
That would not have happened here in the US.  Even more telling about government care is that he is still suffering despite the media scrutiny. 
Our system isn't perfect...but it's better than the "free" healthcare that puts every liberty at the mercy of government's latest whims.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2009, 08:02:16 PM »
I think the government should print enough money to make everybody millionaires while we're at it.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2009, 03:45:12 AM »

Hey, shit for brains--having a terminally ill father and a mother who needs constant care, I can tell you where they would have been long ago under Obumble's and Pelosi's "plan".
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2009, 03:46:53 AM »
So who pays these 'premiums' and what are they based upon, have you come across this in your reading?

By the way, why do I keep seeing ads for supplemental insurance to cover "what Medicare does not"? (Usually run by AARP).  What's up with that??  

Shhhhh...don't.  You're confusing him with facts.  And if you told him that's probably the main reason they supported this cluster :censored: of a "health care" bill, his head might explode.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Online Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2009, 07:08:52 AM »
I really am hoping Billy comes back and will engage and discuss here.
So many on the left haven`t a clue what they are begging for and what it will mean,they just think it will free up resources for them.