Author Topic: Solar Ovens  (Read 3554 times)

Offline JLO

Solar Ovens
« on: April 12, 2010, 09:24:58 PM »
http://www.solarovens.org/sossport.html

This is a Minnesota company that makes solar ovens and ships them all over the world to needy folks.

But we can also buy them on-line.  What a great idea to cook by the sun that they seem to have made possible.
Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Solar Ovens
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 10:06:31 PM »
Until I hear back from that company, I'll reserve comment. What I DID notice is that they seem to want to help the rest of the world, but I see no mention of any efforts here in the US. At this point, I think I can use my head and make something more efficient and better than what they show me.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline JLO

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 10:19:30 PM »
Until I hear back from that company, I'll reserve comment. What I DID notice is that they seem to want to help the rest of the world, but I see no mention of any efforts here in the US. At this point, I think I can use my head and make something more efficient and better than what they show me.

Yikes, you are a rather cantankerous fart, ain't ya?  I like that in a rather odd sorta way. :cheersmate:

Seeing as this is posted in the off-the-grid survivalist place, it was the survivalists I posted this for.

:-)

Giving money and power to Democrats is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys--

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 08:39:09 AM »
Yikes, you are a rather cantankerous fart, ain't ya?  I like that in a rather odd sorta way. :cheersmate:

Seeing as this is posted in the off-the-grid survivalist place, it was the survivalists I posted this for.

:-)

Why yes I am!!   :-) I have a major problem with companies, Hollyweird stars, etc wanting to take care of the rest of the world when we have people right here in the good ol' US of A that need help.

BTW, I'm prepared, are you ?? ;)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 02:41:18 PM »
Here's a way to make your own. http://www.re-energy.ca/pdf/solaroven.pdf

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 02:49:06 PM »
Here's a way to make your own. http://www.re-energy.ca/pdf/solaroven.pdf

Good thing, too--they wanted $250 for one of those suckers?
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline JLO

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 07:56:53 PM »
Why yes I am!!   :-) I have a major problem with companies, Hollyweird stars, etc wanting to take care of the rest of the world when we have people right here in the good ol' US of A that need help.

BTW, I'm prepared, are you ?? ;)

Well, actually I agree with you that we should take care of our own FIRST, instead of helping others all over the world, including adoptions.

But my point in posting this thread, was because it was a new idea I never heard of - solar ovens - what a great idea!  There is a WCCO video link that shows how they make it.  Looks pretty simple to make your own.

I'm prepared for a lot of things. ;-)

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 08:24:31 PM »
I've never much been a fan of the solar oven - mostly because of the lack of ability to maintain a constant or defined temperature in a changing environment. Secondly because they just don't get hot enough.

I prefer a dutch oven or anthill oven both run on hot coals.

Offline Thor

• In Memoriam
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 10:22:25 PM »
I blasted them in an email. I got some sort of whiny-assed Minnesota liberal reply via a phone call. I guessed that they were probably bleeding heart liberals by the address of their company.

I attached the message he left. Can we say "stoned"??
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 10:30:51 PM by Thor »

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 10:10:10 AM »
I've never much been a fan of the solar oven - mostly because of the lack of ability to maintain a constant or defined temperature in a changing environment. Secondly because they just don't get hot enough.

I prefer a dutch oven or anthill oven both run on hot coals.

Yup, wind is a BIG problem. I've tried.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.