Author Topic: Winter Soldier Jason Washburn: "She was bringing us groceries. We blew her to pi  (Read 1825 times)

Online Carl

• Global Moderator
Hissyspit  (1000+ posts)         Fri Mar-14-08 04:35 PM
Original message
Winter Soldier Jason Washburn: "She was bringing us groceries. We blew her to pieces for it."   
   Advertisements [?]

Edited on Fri Mar-14-08 05:28 PM by Hissyspit
Testimony of Jason Washburn, Marine CPL at today's Winter Soldier panel on 'Rules of Engagement:' "We were allowed to shoot anything we wanted."

Three tours - Najaf, Haditha.

"I remember one woman was walking by carrying a huge bag walking toward. I used a (grenade launcher). When the dust settled, we realized the bag contained groceries. She was bringing groceries to us and we blew her to pieces for it."

"In another instance, we were ordered to go to a fuel station. Iraqis rushed us to get fuel. The response was 'what do you think we want you to do, go rough them up.' We really beat the hell out of them with rifles, fists, broken bleeding or unconscious on the ground. We just left them there."

"Most of the innocents I actually saw get killed were behind the wheel of a vehicle, taxi drivers..."

Death of the mayor of the town: Shown images of body in vehicle and told 'This is what good Marine shooting looks like.' "We were tasked to go apologize to the family."

Carried 'drop' weapons or shovels to drop "in case they accidentally did shoot an innocent, we could drop the weapon and make them look like an insurgent. This was commonly encouraged, but only behind closed doors. It was pretty common."

Marine SGT Jason W. Lemieu: "I can only guess how many innocent people died due to the rules of engagement."

"Long enough after the IED explosion, that the people driving by didn't know anything had happened, they could only wonder why the Marine was shooting at them."

After soldier was told to kill woman with bag of fruit and soldier refused, officer shot her himself.

"The rules of engagement changed frequently, contradicted themselves... with no way to identify their attackers, Marines frequently viewed them as a joke or something to work around." The rules of engagement were "incompetent."

Marine Jon Turner just removed his dogtags and ribbons and threw them in front of himself: "I don't work for you anymore."

"I had my first confirmed kill. He was innocent. I don't know his name; I call him the 'fat man.' I killed him in front of his brother and uncle. It took 7 of his family members to carry him away. I was congratulated for my first kill."

"I am sorry for the hate and destruction I inflicted on innocent people. I am sorry for the hate and destruction others have inflicted on innocent people. This needs to come out so that this war ends or people will continue to die."

---

View testimony live at: http://ivaw.org

To watch this feed full screen, open Quicktime 7, select "Open URL" from the File menu, and enter: rtsp://qtlive.dvlabs.com/ivaw.sdp

We are experiencing an extremely high level of traffic on the IVAW website because of interest in Winter Soldier. If you have trouble accessing the main website, please try back later.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3009922

Hoping that some of our folks in the service have the connections and ability to find out who these people are and what the truth really is.

No surprise some of the responses.

superkia  (1000+ posts)        Fri Mar-14-08 05:26 PM
Response to Original message
3. If Americans knew the reality of this war, it would be over but...
   they continue to hide this mess. I don't understand how the media personnel sleeps at night, knowing what they are enabling, for a good paying job. Same with the mercenaries, blood for money!

tuckessee (921 posts)        Fri Mar-14-08 07:58 PM
Response to Original message
14. "Congratulated" for his "first kill". An innocent man.
   To top it off his buddies congratulated him after they knew he killed an innocent man.

Keep telling yourselves it's just a few bad apples, America - maybe it will go away if you wish hard enough..

:bird: :bird: :bird: :bird:

Offline LadyLiberty

:bird: DUmmies.

Whoever wrote this, obviously aren't true soldiers. If I were in Iraq, and a civilian woman was walking in my direction with a bag, I too would be suspicious and would want to protect my fellow troops as well as myself. That is a natural reaction to have when you are in a combat zone dealing with enemies who exploit women and children to be their mobile bombs.

Depending on how hot off the press this thing is, I'd be checking with snopes.

No matter what, this thing is manufactured bullshit.  Yet still, this sort of thing backfires on the DUmmies each and every time as it proves their disloyalty and hatred of America.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
****ing liars.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
******* liars.

And you'd be correct:
Finding: …there are no indications that [Coalition Forces] intentionally targeted, engaged, and killed noncombatants. There is no denying that civilians died during the insurgents coordinated attack on the Marines on 19 Nov 05; however there is no evidence that the Marines intentionally set out to target, engage, and kill noncombatants.

http://warchronicle.com/TheyAreNotKillers/Documents/BargewellReport/000_MG_Bargewell_15-6_(Haditha_Report).BATES.pdf

http://warchronicle.com/TheyAreNotKillers/DefendOurMarines.htm

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
STATEMENTS TO INVESTIGATORS

HN Brian David Whitt, USN
NCIS pdf (March 2006)

Whitt (who rode in the third HMV) clearly identifies receiving SAF at the ambush site that morning. States that there were bullet impacts at his feet and as he ran alongside a wall he was using for cover. States he saw rifles on the roof of a house only 100 yards away. States two enemy shooters fired directed at him. States that while he was attending the wounded he heard AK, M-16 and a grenade round going off.
:bird:

LCpl Rene Rodriguez
NCIS pdf (March 20, 2006)
States he  took cover from AK-47 fire at the ambush site. States he assisted Lt Kallop in evacuating children from house 1.
:censored:

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline DumbAss Tanker

I can't speak for the Marines, but I've been through a ton of Army investigations of shooting incidents.  The National Guard tends to be somewhat trigger-happy and there have been some screwed-up Regular units including one particular brigade of an otherwise-elite division to which I once belonged, but with very few exceptions when things are breaking fast and innocents end up getting shot in ambiguous circumstances where the troops had to make snap life-or-death decisions that proved wrong afterwards, everyone is bummed out about it and the Soldiers generally try to render aid to the wounded instead of screwing around with drop guns and other hi-jinx.
Unfortunately, the main distinguishing characteristics of an insurgent ambush party are sudden arrivals and departures, cell phones (both for commo and in varying levels of of sophistication as triggering devices) and camcorders so they can put their handiwork up on Islamist websites, and there may or may not be visible small arms in sight.  This makes them virtually indistinguishable from journalistic stingers (who may be at the attack site due to sub rosa connections of their own with the insurgents anyway), especially if said stringers are paying for an armed bodyguard to run around with them.  There is kind of a Darwin thing going on with the journalists, which is nobody's fault but their own.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
People that arn't IVAW approved bloggers are not allowed to see the testimony or take pictures
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline jukin

Was this event sponsored by The New Republic?
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Was this event sponsored by The New Republic?

Wouldn't surprise me if Kos and Soros had their wallets open to sponsor it.

I imagine there's opne of the disgusting primitives who live here around me that will give everyone on $kin's Island an AAR this week.