Author Topic: our fellow member the primitive Laelth has history all wrong  (Read 652 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
I'm sure many here remember Laelth, who had the balls enough to hang around here for a while--I think he was an attorney down in Georgia for a while.

But then later, on Skins's island, he let Jugs cut his balls off, after which he disappeared for a long time.

Anyway, on a thread started by the sparkling old dude:

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213513601

Laelth (24,523 posts)      Sun May 31, 2020, 11:10 AM

3. 1968 was a LOCK for the Democratic Party.

Nobody sane thought that Nixon could win. The 1968 riots handed the election to Nixon. Riots are always blamed on the party in power. Admittedly, the RFK assassination didn’t help Democrats in 1968, nor did Vietnam, but my principal point stands. It’s the party in power that will be blamed for the sorry state of the union.

Trump needs this civil unrest to die down quickly if he wants to be re-elected. Instead, he’s doing nothing and, if history is any guide, that will cost him and his party dearly.

Uh, no.  Not at all.  1968 was NOT a lock for the Democrats.

snowybirdie (2,069 posts)     Sun May 31, 2020, 11:25 AM

21. Sorry but I disagree

People hated LBJ and with his VP stepping in to run, he was a hated candidate, as well. Remember the war protests against the democrats in power? Remember the riots in the black areas protesting their many grievances? War, Assassinations and riots were happening with the Democrats in power. The Republicans were the favored winners, and even with that, Nixon barely defeated Humphrey. Check it out. Was there and remember!

This is the way I remember 1968, and I was there.

Richard Nixon started out early in 1968 as the clear-cut leader in the polls--in some cases, as much as 80% versus Democrat candidates--but then during the final weeks of the campaign, say from mid-September on, his lead began eroding (for reasons I disremember).

When the votes were in, that election was one of the narrowest in American history.

We keep dodging the bullet, but damn, it's always a close call.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: our fellow member the primitive Laelth has history all wrong
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 06:54:29 PM »
The 1968 roots were rightly blamed on the political left who aligned themselves with Humphrey. These riots will also be blamed on the political left. The most they can hope for is to try and claim Trump egged on racism which caused the circumstances where individuals decided they needed to protest which turned to riots. But for most people, that's a real stretch. Most are going to see a bunch of angry liberals destroying property and acting immature because they finally had an excuse to do it again.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 07:13:18 PM »
Additionally, the Bernie-like McCarthy was knifed to death by RFK quite opportunistically, RFK had jumped in only once he had seen Gene McCarthy's popularity and swooped in to capitalize on it, ended by his unforeseen demise on the campaign trail.  The McCarthy believers were about as happy with the whole thing as Bernie Bros in 2016.  The Dem primaries arrived in Chicago as not just a dumpster fire, but an entire blazing garbage scow that had broken loose from its tow.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 08:23:32 PM »
The Chicago riots were no accident. There were several groups involved, none of which were right wing.  The SDS was just one group utilized.   I remember hearing about it from friends who were eager to go that spring, they hated LBJ and Humphrey.  They really hated Nixon.

Chicago Seven, group of political activists who were arrested for their antiwar activities during the August 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, Illinois. A series of riots occurred during the convention, and eight protest leaders—Abbie Hoffman and Jerry Rubin, cofounders of the Youth International Party (Yippies); Tom Hayden, cofounder of Students for a Democratic Society (SDS); Black Panther Chairman Bobby Seale, the only African American of the group; David Dellinger and Rennie Davis of the National Mobilization Committee to End the War in Vietnam (MOBE); and John Froines and Lee Weiner, who were alleged to have made stink bombs—were tried on charges of criminal conspiracy and incitement to riot.
https://www.britannica.com/event/Chicago-Seven-law-case

Mc Carthy was from Minnesota.

McCarthy's supporters were used as cannon fodder in Chicago.  I watched the spectacle on TV wondering how many people I might recognized. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugene_McCarthy_1968_presidential_campaign

That is why a lot of this sounds familiar to me.   I believe David Horowitz may cover some of this in one of his books.

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 08:57:09 PM »
I'm sure many here remember Laelth, who had the balls enough to hang around here for a while--I think he was an attorney down in Georgia for a while.

But then later, on Skins's island, he let Jugs cut his balls off, after which he disappeared for a long time.

Anyway, on a thread started by the sparkling old dude:

https://www.democraticunderground.com/100213513601

Uh, no.  Not at all.  1968 was NOT a lock for the Democrats.

This is the way I remember 1968, and I was there.

Richard Nixon started out early in 1968 as the clear-cut leader in the polls--in some cases, as much as 80% versus Democrat candidates--but then during the final weeks of the campaign, say from mid-September on, his lead began eroding (for reasons I disremember).

When the votes were in, that election was one of the narrowest in American history.

We keep dodging the bullet, but damn, it's always a close call.

A little context:

s Chicago mayor Richard J. Daley prepared to talk to Walter Cronkite on August 29, 1968, a CBS News camera panned across the empty floor of the Democratic National Convention. The news reports from the convention so far had been grim and bloody, filled with footage of the Chicago police charging into crowds of unarmed anti-war demonstrators, swinging clubs and breaking heads. The elderly, the young, and innocent bystanders of all kinds had been attacked by Daley's army in blue -- some were teargassed, others had their skulls cracked, and still others were shoved through plate-glass windows. Daley, the wily machine boss who ruled Chicago like a feudal preserve, was being portrayed in the national media as a homegrown American tyrant: just the night before, Senator Abraham Ribicoff of Connecticut had stood at the podium and decried, to a nationwide television audience, the "Gestapo tactics" being used on the streets of Chicago.

But as the CBS camera scanned the International Amphitheatre, it found no sign of this tyrannical Daley. The protest signs that filled the streets were absent from the hall: all the camera picked up were banners, lovingly hung from the rafters by machine foot soldiers, praising Chicago's embattled leader. "World's Greatest Mayor! Richard J. Daley," exclaimed one, signed "14th Ward Regular Democratic Organization, Edward M. Burke, Committeeman." Nor could the camera find any of the thousands of demonstrators who were loudly denouncing Daley and the Chicago police for engaging in unprovoked violence. The only nondelegates admitted to the galleries were precinct captains and patronage workers, who waved American flags and held placards reading "We love Mayor Daley" and "Police Keep Up the Good Work."

The hyperlink is a convoluted mess, and I dont subscribe to the Chicago Tribune anymore.  If you'd like to see the whole article, use the usual search engines for Chicago mayor Richard  Daley & The Man and the Machine.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 05:52:10 AM »
A little context:

The hyperlink is a convoluted mess, and I dont subscribe to the Chicago Tribune anymore.  If you'd like to see the whole article, use the usual search engines for Chicago mayor Richard  Daley & The Man and the Machine.

Didn't Richard Daley issue an order to the cops: "Aim to maim and shoot to kill", or something like that?