Author Topic: "Hi, my name is DUmmy, and I'm a nutjob." "Hi, DUmmie."  (Read 2992 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
"Hi, my name is DUmmy, and I'm a nutjob." "Hi, DUmmie."
« on: March 14, 2008, 11:17:06 AM »
MonkeyFunk  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-24-08 08:33 AM
Original message
Hi... never posted here before
 but I posted in GD and the lounge the other day about my own situation, and the outpouring of support was overwhelming. Somebody mentioned this group which I didn't even know existed, so I just wanted to drop in and say Hi.

I suffer from depression. And I mean suffer.

But today, I'm OK.

Best wishes to everybody here. Let's get through this mess we call life together, ok?

Refresh | 0 Recommendations Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

sfexpat2000  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-24-08 11:37 AM
Response to Original message
1. This is a great forum, MonkeyFunk. Glad to see you.
 Edited on Thu Jan-24-08 12:28 PM by sfexpat2000
I've been in a depression for over a year now. 2007 couldn't end soon enough. The best I feel most days is when I have my seven pm flamewar in GD. Tonight, instead of posting fifty angry posts, I'm going to thank the other poster. lol

/oops
 Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

ftbc  (1000+ posts)      Thu Jan-24-08 11:40 AM
2. Welcome MonkeyFunk!
 That was a very moving thread you posted on suicide. I'm relatively new here, too. I suffered big-time depression in my teens and 20's, but am doing pretty well now, so there is hope. I hope you continue to do ok.

Droopy  (1000+ posts)      Thu Jan-24-08 12:25 PM
5. Welcome, MonkeyFunk
 I was surprised to see all the threads about mental illness in the lounge yesterday. I posted in a couple of them about this group hoping that we'd get more contributors here. Looks like it worked!

I have schizo-affective disorder. I have the symptoms of biploar disorder along with some schizophrenic symptoms. I have been well for 4.5 years now, but I still have other issues. Most of them on how I'm supposed to deal with all the ****ed up shit I did during the ten years that I was suffering from my symptoms. I'm sort of resigned to the idea that it might take ten years of well being to counter the ten years of ****ed up shit. But if you have any suggestions I'm open to them. 

hunter  (1000+ posts)       Thu Jan-24-08 12:41 PM
6. Hello!

I've got the kind of depression that causes suffering in the people who love me, maybe more so then my own suffering. If I don't have the right mix of meds, including anti-depressants, other human beings become the most irritating creatures on earth to me, and all I want to do is go live by myself somewhere like a crazy hermit, away from the noise.

I don't really get suicidal because I have some very powerful obsessions and compulsions. If I was dead I wouldn't be able to do the things I *need* to do, and that's really too horrible for me to contemplate. I'm fortunate that most of these OCDs are socially acceptable, and not self destructive, the worst of them being a very minor eating disorder. I did, however, screw up my knees running long distances as a young man. I'd wake up in the middle of the night and if I couldn't sleep I'd run. Sometimes in college I'd show up to my first class after running five or six hours, covered with sweat-salt, and still wearing my running clothes.

Needless to say, nobody wanted to sit next to me...

Eventually I got all the stuff rattling around my head tied together into something functional, got married, had kids, and now live a fairly ordinary existence thanks much to an astonishingly patient wife, modern meds, and therapy.

undergroundpanther  (1000+ posts)       Mon Jan-28-08 03:20 PM
11. Hey monkey-funk!
 Welcome and if it's ok with you..
And be aware the MH support group are some AWESOME people.
Best group on DU if you ask me.
You can share your situation here and the snarks and bullshitters don't intrude and insert their unwanted comments that always end up causing more hurt..
Depression sucks,I have been struggling with suicidal thoughts for years. Plenty of people on this board have..You ain't alone in that dark,here we can bump into each other and when we do the sparks of empathy cut darkness and the emotional oppression lifts a bit..and you might feel better even if it's only for ten minutes.

That was the calmest, most sane post I've ever seen from UGP.  The forced meds must be doing some good.
Ellen Forradalom  (1000+ posts)       Wed Jan-30-08 03:04 PM
12. Hi Monkey!
 I have bipolar disorder. It made mincemeat of my life for decades. No joke.

But, like you, today I'm okay. Thank goodness for those days.

fed-up  (1000+ posts)      Thu Jan-31-08 12:28 AM
13. howdy! and welcome to the club...hope all is well (newly diagnosed bipolar II here) nt

It treats it's disorder like a badge of honor.  Sounds like it's the new member of the cool club.

Forkboy  (1000+ posts)      Sun Feb-10-08 08:50 PM
14. Hey MonkeyFunk.
 I have no words of consolation or comfort except to say you're not alone. That wouldn't make me feel any better, so I understand if you just want to say, "Go **** yourself!" I have that same reaction a lot.

The Magistrate, in one of his many infinite quotes of wisdom, once said, "anyone who isn't depressed isn't paying attention." I'll count you among the ones who are paying attention. 

That's true.  Anyone who posts at the DUmp and is not depressed is not paying attention to what they consider their peers.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=276x7275

I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: "Hi, my name is DUmmy, and I'm a nutjob." "Hi, DUmmie."
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2008, 11:19:06 AM »
Hmmm.

I don't think Doug's ex-wife is going to snap out of her depression, once she finds it was the paternal ancestor of the Bostonian Drunkard who bungled the Don Siegelman defense down there in Alabama.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 11:21:29 AM »
Hmmm.

I don't think Doug's ex-wife is going to snap out of her depression, once she finds it was the paternal ancestor of the Bostonian Drunkard who bungled the Don Siegelman defense down there in Alabama.

Frank, I just want to say that avatar fits you to a tee.  I don't know why, but it just clicks with your posting style.
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 11:25:46 AM »
Frank, I just want to say that avatar fits you to a tee.  I don't know why, but it just clicks with your posting style.

Thank you, sir; I hope you got my rather, uh, obscure reference in my comment above.

Sometimes I write to the lurking primitives, not to the decent civilized people here.

And this was one of those cases.

The Bostonian Drunkard's past has been exposed, and it ain't pretty.

How full of Wonders, the World.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 11:28:47 AM »

Thank you, sir; I hope you got my rather, uh, obscure reference in my comment above.

Sometimes I write to the lurking primitives, not to the decent civilized people here.

And this was one of those cases.

The Bostonian Drunkard's past has been exposed, and it ain't pretty.

How full of Wonders, the World.
I skimmed over the other thread exposing wee willy.  From what I saw, good stuff.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 11:45:50 AM »
DU is the last place these folks need to be looking to for support if they are having mental health issues.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 11:48:38 AM »
DU is the last place these folks need to be looking to for support if they are having mental health issues.

Why not?

Democratic Underground proudly supports Mental Illness.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 11:53:43 AM »

Why not?

That's just it. They don't want anyone to get better and work on their problems. :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »

Why not?

That's just it. They don't want anyone to get better and work on their problems. :-)
Sane people are less easily manipulated.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 12:59:46 PM »

Why not?

Not only do they support it, they promote it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2008, 04:21:57 PM »
Hmmm.

yup. Model T
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline stickyboot

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 04:57:52 PM »

I think it's the place to go to BECOME crazy if you aren't already. Lurk in very small doses is my recommendation. When they start making sense, either you've run into a sock puppet or it's time to wash your brain out with soap.

Offline LadyLiberty

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2008, 05:18:46 PM »

I think it's the place to go to BECOME crazy if you aren't already. Lurk in very small doses is my recommendation. When they start making sense, either you've run into a sock puppet or it's time to wash your brain out with soap.

That's my thought on the matter  :rotf:

BTW, they are all welcoming MonkeyFunk and he "introduces"  himself like he is new there, but he has 1000+ posts.
"My friends, we live in the greatest nation in the history of the world. I hope you'll join with me to try to change it."

Barack Obama

Offline jukin

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2008, 07:51:41 PM »

Bullseye!
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.