Author Topic: The Day After the Bombing of Iran  (Read 1355 times)

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
The Day After the Bombing of Iran
« on: March 13, 2008, 08:42:03 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3003183

davidswanson  Donating Member  (606 posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Mar-13-08 01:45 PM
Original message
The Day After the Bombing of Iran   Updated at 3:07 PM

Advertisements [?]
Edited on Thu Mar-13-08 02:00 PM by davidswanson
Imagine yourself sitting down transfixed and watching video footage of U.S. bombs hitting Iran. You see children ripped limb from limb, mothers screaming and wailing, people panicked, tortured, traumatized, and killed. Imagine asking yourself at that point: What was I doing these past many months that I thought was more important than preventing this?

Now ask yourself today: What am I doing that is more important than ending the ongoing hell of the U.S. occupation of Iraq?

Are you struggling to support your family? So are many, many other people who still find hours and days to commit. While congress members and senators have the gall to tell constituents that opposing Pelosi or Reid and cutting off the funding lies outside their "comfort zone," citizens are going without sleep, ruining marriages and friendships, losing money, fasting, and risking serious jail time for nonviolent protests. Are those children hit by the bombs living within a "comfort zone"?

Are you working on an election campaign? Is that where you believe democratic activism belongs? Here are a few reasons to consider putting at least some of your energy into ending the occupation of Iraq right now: First, there is no good reason to believe votes will be honestly counted. Second, there are no candidates in the two big parties who intend to end the occupation quickly, but there might be one if the peace movement were larger - and that shift in policy would help that candidate win more than doing what he wants you to do would help. Third, a great many people will die unnecessary deaths during the next 10 months, and it is simply not true that Congress cannot prevent it. Any Senator can commit now to filibustering the funding, just as Senator Chris Dodd committed to filibustering telecom immunity. Any representative can commit now to voting No and to lobbying Pelosi not to bring the funding up for a vote. We elected them to do this in 2006, and if we do not hold them to it we will lose the power to elect anyone to do anything we want in 2008.

Are you working to pass federal legislation on an important issue that will benefit millions of people? That's sweet of you, but a complete waste of time. As I said in November of 2006, and as has proved true over 15 months: good bills will be vetoed, bad ones will become law, and mixed ones will have the good parts signing-statemented. Building momentum to pass your bill next year is all well and good, but there will be no money to pay for it if the occupation of Iraq continues. Were Congress to find the nerve to impeach, you might get your legislation turned into law this year. And I would ask you to close your eyes and look one more time at the dying children of Iran. If that doesn't work, open your eyes and look at these images from our occupation of Iraq: http://afterdowningstreet.org/image

Are you working to make change at the local or state level? Are you working to educate, to change our culture, to inject decency into the world of business? Are you providing direct assistance to people in need? By no means should you stop, but you will be stopped if global war results from the suicidal course our government is on. You will be stopped if global warming is not reversed. You will be stopped if the hatred for the United States that Bush and Cheney are developing around the world blows back at us in a violent form. You will have to live with the destroyed human beings who are veterans of U.S. military service in Iraq. And you will have to live with knowing that collectively we could very easily have prevented hundreds of thousands of deaths, and you didn't do your bit.

So, let's all do our share. Let's do it this week. Let's put an end to this murderous catastrophe right now and get on with the enormous task of building a peaceful and sustainable world.

So, what should you do? You should get involved in one of the events planned everywhere in the country on March 19th and surrounding days: http://resistinmarch.org

Refresh | 24 Recommendations    Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

alfredo  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Mar-13-08 01:57 PM
Response to Original message
3. the day after that, Iranian ground forces will sweep across southern Iraq,

cutting US forces off from their main supply line and escape route. The Straits of Hormuz will become a graveyard for any ship that dares to pass. the troops in the south will sweep northwards and forces from the north will head south in an attempt at surrounding our forces.

It will be a blood bath. Will we have the air power, man power, and ammo to fight back? Would bush feel justified using nuclear weapons against "Iranian aggression"?
   Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
Would you rather see a city destroyed by terrorists using a bomb supplied by iran?

superkia  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Mar-13-08 01:59 PM
4. The only thing I would change is Iran to Venezuela, looks like...

our government is trying to add them as a terrorist state as we speak and they too, are an oil rich country like Iran that doesn't want to go along with the elites new world order agenda. Luckily, information came our about Iran that slowed that down but I am afraid Americans don't see it coming in Venezuela.

Outstanding post!Thank you for being one thats involved.

truth2power  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Mar-13-08 03:34 PM
Response to Reply #5
7. Diclotican...I have been meaning to say

Thank you for your efforts posting here. As you have said, English is not your native tongue, but you persevere, and I have little difficulty understanding what you have to say.

I share your fears and concern about what is almost certain to happen if the US attacks Iran. I don't think the average American has a clue regarding the implications, and BushCheney doesn't care.

Yurovsky  (453 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Mar-13-08 04:03 PM
Response to Reply #6
9. I just feel sorry for the poor Iranians ...

just going about their lives, much like the average Iraqi was 5 years ago.

And some people actually wonder why our country is universally loathed outside our borders.

Mountainman  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Mar-13-08 04:10 PM
10. The one reason I believe we will attack Iran is because the neons see the end of their reign.

They may think that if they start the war it will bring the things that PNAC wanted ever since they asked Clinton to go along with them in 1996. If they start the war surely McCain will continue it.

It will ultimately bankrupt this country both financially and morally.

FitzmasAgain  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Mar-13-08 05:44 PM
Response to Reply #10
13. I know, it's scary to think that they are so evil

they'll stop at nothing. If there is no attack, it is also thought that they might have some other disaster that is so bad that elections would just have to be cancelled. Bastids!
Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: The Day After the Bombing of Iran
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 08:50:58 PM »
You know, I wish I could contrive a name for primitives who use Skins's island as a springboard for their literary efforts on other web-sites; such as what the Bostonian Drunkard did with truthout, and the lala-rawraw with rawstory, and that bart primitive does, and as this Swanson TV-dinner primitive does.

There seems to be a certain class of primitives who "test-run" something on Skins's island before (or shortly after) posting it at their own places.

One wonders if my fellow alum Skins is aware he's being used as a "test-market," and not being paid for it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 09:12:59 PM »
What a pant load. Then again it's the typical pantload from the "I hate America" crowd.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 10:25:05 PM »
alfredo  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Mar-13-08 01:57 PM

cutting US forces off from their main supply line and escape route. The Straits of Hormuz will become a graveyard for any ship that dares to pass. the troops in the south will sweep northwards and forces from the north will head south in an attempt at surrounding our forces.

It will be a blood bath. Will we have the air power, man power, and ammo to fight back? Would bush feel justified using nuclear weapons against "Iranian aggression"?

Didn't they say the same thing about OIF in '03. How'd that turn out for the Republican Guard, DUmbasses?
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 05:45:47 AM »
You know, I wish I could contrive a name for primitives who use Skins's island as a springboard for their literary efforts on other web-sites; such as what the Bostonian Drunkard did with truthout, and the lala-rawraw with rawstory, and that bart primitive does, and as this Swanson TV-dinner primitive does.

There seems to be a certain class of primitives who "test-run" something on Skins's island before (or shortly after) posting it at their own places.

One wonders if my fellow alum Skins is aware he's being used as a "test-market," and not being paid for it.

How 'bout "johns" (no offense to anyone named "John")?  They use Skinner for their own "literary" pleasure.  Some of them even pay Skinner through donations for the use.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 06:26:56 AM »
alfredo  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Thu Mar-13-08 01:57 PM

Didn't they say the same thing about OIF in '03. How'd that turn out for the Republican Guard, DUmbasses?

I was thinking something similar.
My guess is that many Iranian forces would do the mass surrender thing in short order but I would be interested in how all our military folks here regard this prediction.

That the DUmmies ascribe to muslem soldiers the same training,dedication and ferocity as US soldiers shows the silly world they live in.
There is a reason muslems prefer the cowardly route of terrorism.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 08:02:49 AM »

Have been thinking on that statement and it occurs to me that this isn`t any kind of a predition or a theory but an expression of wishful thinking.

If so then  :bird:

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 08:15:40 AM »
The Iranian army is politically unreliable...well, to the mullahs any way.

That's why the mullahs use paramilitary thugs to suppress demonstrators.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 08:17:56 AM »

Have been thinking on that statement and it occurs to me that this isn`t any kind of a predition or a theory but an expression of wishful thinking.

If so then  :bird:

I agree on the wishful thinking. :bird: :bird: :bird: :bird:

On the bolded statement  :lmao:

[youtube=450,325]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1lylcpeIXc[/youtube]

Guess what dumbasses...............we're even better now
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.