Author Topic: Guys, it's simple. I support a bonfire of women's headscarves in Tehran, but...  (Read 751 times)

Offline CC27

derby378  (1000+ posts)        Sun Jun-21-09 03:50 PM
Original message
Guys, it's simple. I support a bonfire of women's headscarves in Tehran, but...
 ...I also realize that, for many Muslim women, wearing a hijab or an abaya is a statement of identity, modesty, and religious devotion. When the revolution passes, let them keep their scarves and wear them as their conscience dictates. I'm certain that a lot of them support Mousavi in this period of civil unrest, too.

As for the rest of the women in Iran, let them attend the bonfires, and bare their heads to the world as a sign of their disobedience to tyranny and oppression. It is their right.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5894120

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
When the religious police beat, shoot or throw acid on you for 'immodesty' then they are definitely not a free country.

So, the DUmmie majority are apparently with us on this one?? Or have they been silent, waiting for their marching orders?

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
As for the rest of the women in Iran, let them attend the bonfires, and bare their heads to the world as a sign of their disobedience to tyranny and oppression. It is their right.

Ya, that will work. DUmbass dosen't want to realize the the women will end up ON the bonfire.   :thatsright:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!

Ya, that will work. DUmbass dosen't want to realize the the women will end up ON the bonfire.   :thatsright:

In Arab countries, women have less worth than goats. What a wonderful system! Just another reason to turn the whole place to glass! Girls just want to have fun!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
malaise  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Sun Jun-21-09 05:28 PM

36. Is Iran a US colony

How is this the concern of anyone outside of Iran?

So much for human rights and compassion.

[youtube=425,350]Z1YLQxK-8Ek[/youtube]

****in' goons. * was an evil and murderous dictator. Achmedinijad? Ah, what the hell. No problem.  ::)
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
[youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPPzVn2hVkI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jPPzVn2hVkI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Here is what it's like to protest in a country where you have a REAL possibility of dying for your beliefs.

Next time you asshats "protest" think about this video and just go home. Your protests are meaningless.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline jtyangel

It's a pity it takes destruction like this for people to wake up, particularly very coddled young Americans. It takes the face of an attractive, diminutive Iranian woman drowning in her own blood for it to hit home that all cultures are not equal, nor are all leaders(esteemed president o :lmao:) equipped or even capable of dealing with this ugliness for what it is. I don't want to get any more political then I have, but this is why we support democracies and freedom around the world. Most introspective people see ourselves 200 odd years ago and recognize when the *important word here* GOD given rights of others are being manipulated or suppressed. We see ourselves as co owners in the battle for freedom. I think even some conservatives won't like that point of view, but human rights violations like there are no different whether they occur here or elsewhere, especially considering when a culture is trying an dwanting to change.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
So much for human rights and compassion.

[youtube=425,350]Z1YLQxK-8Ek[/youtube]

****in' goons. * was an evil and murderous dictator. Achmedinijad? Ah, what the hell. No problem.  ::)

Such a shame! I had forgotten how beautiful
Persian women can be! :(
Call me "Asshole" One more time!