Author Topic: Miscarriage or art project?  (Read 1440 times)

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
Miscarriage or art project?
« on: April 18, 2008, 10:45:47 PM »
This thread appears conspicuous because of all the DUmmies who aren't there supporting this nut's "right" to do anything she wants with her body and any "parasite" that occupies it.

proud2Blib  (1000+ posts)       Fri Apr-18-08 06:28 PM
Original message
Miscarriage or art project? 
 Advertisements [?]Aliza Shvarts, a senior art major at Yale, artificially inseminated herself "as often as possible" while periodically taking abortifacient drugs to induce miscarriages for her senior art project. The Yale Daily News has more details on Aliza Shvarts' miscarriage art project.

Beginning next Tuesday, Shvarts will be displaying her senior art project, a documentation of a nine-month process during which she artificially inseminated herself "as often as possible" while periodically taking abortifacient drugs to induce miscarriages. Her exhibition will feature video recordings of these forced miscarriages as well as preserved collections of the blood from the process....

The display of Aliza Shvarts' project will feature a large cube suspended from the ceiling of a room in the gallery of Green Hall. Shvarts will wrap hundreds of feet of plastic sheeting around this cube; lined between layers of the sheeting will be the blood from Shvarts' self-induced miscarriages mixed with Vaseline in order to prevent the blood from drying and to extend the blood throughout the plastic sheeting.

Aliza Shvarts will then project recorded videos onto the four sides of the cube. These videos, captured on a VHS camcorder, will show her experiencing miscarriages in her bathrooom tub, she said. Similar videos will be projected onto the walls of the room.

http://www.yaledailynews.com/articles/view/24513

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/04/a17/yale-student-...

As stated, not that many responses.

Blue_In_AK  (1000+ posts)      Fri Apr-18-08 06:30 PM
Response to Original message
2. All righty, then...
 Not exactly my idea of art, but it's a free country.

Yep, free to murder unborn children. Ain't it grand?

PeaceNikki  (1000+ posts)       Fri Apr-18-08 06:31 PM
4. It's being reported as a hoax
 http://apnews.myway.com/article/20080418/D903VVSO0.html

I can see the university taking that stance. I'm sure they have way more than their share of nutballs there already.

proud2Blib  (1000+ posts)       Fri Apr-18-08 07:05 PM
Response to Reply #4
10. LOL 
 What an art project!

Yeah, it's a real laff riot.

kestrel91316  (1000+ posts)       Fri Apr-18-08 06:34 PM
7. You know, I'm unequivocally pro-choice. But I think I have found my limit.
 The idea of deliberately becoming pregnant for the sole purpose of having an abortion - repeatedly - and then using the conceptus as ENTERTAINMENT is just sick.

This woman is obviously in need of major psychiatric assistance.

Comforting to know a couple of DUmmies are repulsed. I don't know why they should be, though, it just being a non-viable tissue mass after all.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3177360

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 03:16:19 PM by dandi »
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Miscarriage or art project?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 11:01:32 PM »
This thread appears conspicuous because of all the DUmmies who aren't there supporting this nut's "right" to do anything she wants with her body and any "parasite" that occupies it.

That was the point I was trying to make in our thread about this. Pro-choicers (of which abortion is one of the choices, most likely the preferred choice) deliberately obfuscate the details of abortion.

Remember Clinton's words?... "abortion should be rare". Why? In every other case a "right" in this country is not discouraged, but celebrated and exercised. The truth is in the details which they try in vain to keep concealed.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Mary Ann

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 06:19:11 AM »
Link? I've gotta see this one for myself!

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 03:17:17 PM »
Link? I've gotta see this one for myself!

Oops, sorry. Fixed in the OP.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 03:20:47 PM »
You all know it is a hoax, right?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 03:30:03 PM »
You all know it is a hoax, right?

I think everybody does. I was wondering when it would pop up in DUmmieland though. I admittedly don't scour the island like some of you brave souls do. But, I always keep my eye out for DUmpster jewels brought here for inspection. I'm really shocked this didn't land over here sooner. Did they not pick up on it when we did originally (before it was debunked)??

As for the abortion debate - yes, I too find it odd that more DU'ers aren't shrugging their shoulders and throwing their support behind this murdering wackadoodle. I mean, it's just a clump of cells being expelled from the body right? Nothing there to be concerned over right? *eyeroll*
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Dixie*Darling

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 03:30:18 PM »
kestrel91316  (1000+ posts)       Fri Apr-18-08 06:34 PM
7. You know, I'm unequivocally pro-choice. But I think I have found my limit.
 The idea of deliberately becoming pregnant for the sole purpose of having an abortion - repeatedly - and then using the conceptus as ENTERTAINMENT is just sick.

While it may be that you've found your limit, I have to wonder what you think of abortion used as birth control. 

To me, in this age of methods that even limit a woman to several periods a year, I have to wonder why the abortion rates continue to climb. 

I'll answer my own question by stating that a lack of self respect, a lack of responsibility and disposable society mentality are the apparent reasonings for the continued climb in rates.  Sad.  Disgusting.  Deplorable.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008, 01:50:46 PM »

Agreed. But so is nearly all of DU.