Author Topic: Obamaite Eric primitive doesn't like the name "Barry"  (Read 3879 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Obamaite Eric primitive doesn't like the name "Barry"
« on: April 18, 2008, 02:17:10 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=132x5566751

Oh my.

It doesn't take much, to indignantate an Obamaite.

ericgtr  Donating Member  (943 posts) Fri Apr-18-08 02:43 PM
Original message

Barry is a name issued to Obama by the racist extreme Right in this country

This is not like Obamite or Shillary, it's an extremely racist term that the RW attack hounds use on Obama. Anyone one using that word here should be ashamed and are no better than people like Limbaugh and Hannity.

joeybee12  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 02:44 PM
Response to Original message

1. Let's see..his mother and granmother gave him that nickname when

he was growing up and he went by it until he got to college...hmmm

ocelot  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 02:44 PM
Response to Original message

2. Actually, it's the name he used when he was a kid.

But I have no doubt there are ulterior motives for those who are using it now.

It's a moderately-large bonfire on Skins's island, most of it Obamaites complaining how an affectionate nickname is derogatory, and supporters of Messalina Agrippina pointing out how a nickname can be, well, affectionate.

OzarkDem  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 03:05 PM
Response to Reply #23

47. Agree, "Barry" is a non-issue

Its sad to see Obama's supporters still relying so heavily on playing the race card.

You know, I went through this whole bonfire, hoping to see a mention of.....Barry Goldwater.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
Re: Obamaite Eric primitive doesn't like the name "Barry"
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 03:46:01 PM »
Hmm, Somebody better tell Barry right away. Barry Hussein Obama that is.
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 03:52:02 PM »
You know, Uhhuh, it's been a while since Barry Goldwater ran for president.

But given the ages of the primitives, most of the primitives were post-puberty when Barry Goldwater ran for president, and so surely the primitives remember Barry Goldwater.

Given the silly, the really stupid, ways primitives "connect" things--events, people--I've always waited around for a primitive to connect Barry Goldwater and Barry Obama.

But I've waited in vain.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline WinOne4TheGipper

• Enemy of DU
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 04:01:56 PM »
So, "Barry" is a racist name?  When did that become the case?  If I'd known that when I knew a kid named Barry back in elementary school, why I would've worn an armband.  That would've shown him. :rotf:
“Sometimes the curses of the godless sound better than the hallelujahs of the pious.”

Martin Luther

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 04:35:09 PM »
How the hell is "Barry" a racist name? Freakin' DUmmies have to go into a snakeshit-crazy outrage over everything.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 04:39:05 PM »
How the hell is "Barry" a racist name? Freakin' DUmmies have to go into a snakeshit-crazy outrage over everything.

It's so hard to be offended these days.  You gotta dig and dig and dig.  Makes your arms tired.  :(
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008, 04:39:47 PM »

Oh NOW I see! "Barry" and "Nappy" are both spelled with a "Y".  It all makes sense now. Obvious racism there :-)
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2008, 05:14:37 PM »
I think it's a lot more probable that they don't like it due to the possible association of the name with noted crackhead loser Marion Barry, rather than through any association with the estimable Mr. Goldwater.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2008, 05:45:41 PM »
Hey, this Barry did OK:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2008, 06:10:01 PM »
The hell?!?!?!? They are really fishing from the shallow end aren't they?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2008, 06:13:36 PM »
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2008, 06:29:18 PM »

I suspect the primitive thought follows along the lines of immigrants to Ellis Island - their names were often "Americanized" upon entry if they were difficult to spell or pronounce.

The thing is.. Its not Racist at all - My Portuguese Grandmother, Almirinda, became 'Millie' upon her entry, And she was very, very European White.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2008, 07:04:00 PM »
sfexpat2000  (1000+ posts)       Fri Apr-18-08 03:44 PM
Response to Reply #90
93. You're looking in the wrong place. This is about context.
 And historically, the OP is dead on. You call me "gal" and no one raises an eyebrow, but I know what you mean.

That's why it's called code.

Ah yes, the old "codespeak" accusation. Similar to conspiracy theories in that it can be assigned to anything and can never be fully disproven. It's much easier than actually providing evidence of racism or other ill intent. Also like the CT, it's the intellectually lazy way to go about attacking others.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2008, 07:35:31 PM »
If Obama is the nominee be prepared for the race card to be played endlessly and by all.
Simply looking at him may or may not be racist,every word spoken will suddenly be a racist slur.

It will be very ugly. :banghead:

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2008, 07:45:49 PM »
If Obama is the nominee be prepared for the race card to be played endlessly and by all.
Simply looking at him may or may not be racist,every word spoken will suddenly be a racist slur.

It will be very ugly. :banghead:

Absolutely. I suspect that will be the most commonly used method to gain victory. Guilt "whitey" into doing the "right thing" - Of course Obama will have 'nothing to do with it' - but his supporters will be in full on racist-witchhunt mode. 

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2008, 07:49:24 PM »
I remember Barry from Land of the Giants.  I think that was the first time I ever heard that name.  This is the first time I have ever heard there was something racist about it.  So, we can't say his middle name and we can't say his first name, 'cause it's racist.  Hmmm.  Seems more like Stalinism to me. 

Verry Insane Obama.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 08:12:02 PM by Duke Nukum »
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 07:52:20 PM »
This is just the kind of ugly racism that drove Barry Bonds to drugs  :(

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 07:52:47 PM »
I'm sure the DUmbass finds "Barry" racist because it sounds like "berry", as in blackberry, which has been used in racist fashion in the past.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 08:02:12 PM »
I'm sure the DUmbass finds "Barry" racist because it sounds like "berry", as in blackberry, which has been used in racist fashion in the past.

Oh my!  You'd think with the proliferation of the Blackberry personal computer thingee this would have come up before.  I've never heard of a blackberry as anything other than a very tasty fruit up until the computer thingee.

I wonder if the Reverend Jackson knows he can shake down Blackberry as a racist company.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 08:06:00 PM »

Oh my!  You'd think with the proliferation of the Blackberry personal computer thingee this would have come up before.  I've never heard of a blackberry as anything other than a very tasty fruit up until the computer thingee.

I wonder if the Reverend Jackson knows he can shake down Blackberry as a racist company.

There isn't a major company in the USA that jackson hasn't shaken down.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2008, 08:07:45 PM »

Well, I think some are too small.  Doesn't he usually only go after huge conglomerates?  I don't know how big Blackberry is but if they ever become huge, I am sure they will get shaken down.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2008, 08:10:05 PM »

Well, I think some are too small.  Doesn't he usually only go after huge conglomerates?  I don't know how big Blackberry is but if they ever become huge, I am sure they will get shaken down.

Thus, the word "major."

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2008, 08:11:42 PM »

Thus, the word "major."

Sorry.  I guess "major" doesn't convey Huge Multinational Conglomerate to me.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline stickyboot

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2008, 08:14:19 PM »
Beats the hell out of me what the problem is. Maybe they consider it a diminutive form, and so it's racist because you're calling him by his "boyhood" nickname? I've known two males whose real, full, given name was Barry. Barack is an un-Anglo, unusual, awkward name anyway. Perhaps they're concerned he lacks the head-of-state gravitas, so everyone needs to toe the line and pull their forelocks?

I frankly think it's disrespectful on some level to call any presidential candidate by their given name, just like the unmannered idiots who call me on my home phone and presume to address me by mine-like I'm going to be warmed rather than offended by the unauthorized familiarity.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 08:17:13 PM »
Beats the hell out of me what the problem is. Maybe they consider it a diminutive form, and so it's racist because you're calling him by his "boyhood" nickname? I've known two males whose real, full, given name was Barry. Barack is an un-Anglo, unusual, awkward name anyway. Perhaps they're concerned he lacks the head-of-state gravitas, so everyone needs to toe the line and pull their forelocks?

I frankly think it's disrespectful on some level to call any presidential candidate by their given name, just like the unmannered idiots who call me on my home phone and presume to address me by mine-like I'm going to be warmed rather than offended by the unauthorized familiarity.
What should we call them then?

I think the DUmmies are just looking for reasons to hate conservatives. 
― Homer, The Odyssey