Author Topic: angry maternal primitive can't believe what happened  (Read 1114 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
angry maternal primitive can't believe what happened
« on: April 18, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3175969

Oh my.

How fraught with danger, the world:

madmom  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 01:27 PM
Original message
I can't believe what just happened, my mini rant for today....

was just on my way home from running errands and was crossing a MAIN intersection when a semi turned left in front of me, I was going straight, had to hit the brakes,driver was distracted cuz he was talking on phone. BUT the kicker was he did this right in front of a cop who didn't see it because....he was talking on the ****ing phone! What the hell is going on here, this could have been tragic if I wasn't watching the truck as close as I was.

alyce douglas  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 01:29 PM
Response to Original message

2. they need to ban cell phone use in cars while driving.

MorningGlow  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 02:19 PM
Response to Reply #2

12. It's against the law here in NYS

Doesn't do a damned bit of good. Just as many people yak on their phone while driving (and looking at CD labels and putting on makeup and drinking coffee and shaving and studying maps/directions) as before the law went into effect.

And I've seen state troopers on the phone while driving quite a few times!

stillcool47  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 02:36 PM
Response to Reply #12

15. look how long it took them...

to ticket people for seat belts..or even drunk driving (aside from George Bush) I am still flabbergasted about that one.

Lasher  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 01:30 PM

3. You should have called the number on the back of the truck to report him.

I'm sure you had your cell phone in your car.

Raejeanowl  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 01:36 PM
Response to Reply #3

7. And Then Called The Police

To report the police squad car number.

Warpy  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 01:33 PM

4. The last time a commercial driver in front of me was on the phone and swerving all over the place, I yelled "SHUT THE **** UP AND DRIVE!" I forgot my window was wide open.

He heard me. I am delighted to say he pulled into the next driveway instead of pulling a gun on me.

Yeah, Massachusetts isn't known for its courteous drivers, and apparently sometimes drivers in Massachusetts can get downright hostile; it must be that blue-state attitude.

shanti  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 01:34 PM

5. lucky you

i had that happen to me over 30 years ago (a car, not a semi), but i wasn't so lucky. couldn't stop in time - forehead met windshield. this was before mandatory seatbelt laws and airbags.

did your airbag/seatbelt kick in?

LisaM  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 01:53 PM
Response to Reply #5

8. And you didn't wear a seatbelt anyway?

I wore seatbelts before they were mandatory. I remember "my" seat in the car, and how, when I was a kid, I had to pull the belt almost all the way up.

Xithras  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 01:35 PM

6. You know what is REALLY stupid?

Here in California we have a new "No Cellphones While Driving" law that comes into force on July 1.

Truck drivers are exempted until 2011.

RebelOne  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 01:54 PM

9. One time when I was driving on the freeway, a truck was coming up the entrance ramp just as I was nearing it. I assumed he would slow down when he saw me, but he just kept on coming and missed hitting me by just a few inches. I called the company whose name was on the truck and he was reprimanded.

MorningGlow  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 02:24 PM
Response to Reply #9

13. I did the same thing several years ago

I NEVER call a phone number on a car or truck to complain, but I did this time. I was driving to work one morning (with my infant in the car, thanks much), out in the boonies but on a main route that goes through several towns. This GIANT dump truck came barreling up behind me at about 80-85 MPH and tailgated me for miles. I was doing 65, and it looked like it was going to run me over any minute. I felt like I was in the movie Duel or something. The guy passed me and yet I ended up right behind him at a stoplight in the main intersection of the next town. Took the opportunity to memorize the phone number on the back of the truck, and I called as soon as I got to work. I talked to the owner of the construction company and although I didn't get the number of the truck, he knew exactly who was driving judging by my story, and he said he'd take care of it. But if he wasn't surprised, why did he let the guy keep driving? I hope this dude finally hit his third strike with my complaint.

ayeshahaqqiqa  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 02:48 PM
Response to Reply #9

17. I did something the opposite way

A trucker was driving in a safe and proper manner down a mountain, moving over so cars could pass, not driving too fast, etc. and I took the time to call the company to tell them how courteous he was. Found out later from a trucking friend that calls like mine can result in money or other rewards for the drivers. I know the company was glad to hear from me, even though they were a bit surprised that someone called who wasn't complaining.

ayeshahaqqiqa  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 02:30 PM

14. At least you were in a vehicle

I've nearly been killed several times while legally using crosswalks in the small town where I work. Inevitably it is some stupid big pickup truck whose driver isn't paying attention. Once the guy was stopped at a 4-way stop sign and turned left right and right at me! I had to run so fast I fell down to get out of his way. And he stared at me like he didn't even see me--wasn't on a phone or anything. He was an old man, and I wondered if perhaps he was senile. He roared down the street before I could read his license plate, or I would have reported him.

Fumesucker  (179 posts) Fri Apr-18-08 02:37 PM

16. People have always driven like this

I've been riding motorcycles for forty years now, getting run off the road by car drivers is boringly familiar.

It may have gotten worse in the last ten years or so although I couldn't swear to it since I'm so used to dodging car drivers that I really don't think about it much.

Just pretend you are totally invisible and drive in such a manner that if you were indeed invisible you wouldn't get hit anyway.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: angry maternal primitive can't believe what happened
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008, 03:51:36 PM »
I can't believe it's not butter!
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008, 04:10:05 PM »
madmom  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Fri Apr-18-08 01:27 PM
Original message
I can't believe what just happened, my mini rant for today....

was just on my way home from running errands and was crossing a MAIN intersection when a semi turned left in front of me, I was going straight, had to hit the brakes,driver was distracted cuz he was talking on phone. BUT the kicker was he did this right in front of a cop who didn't see it because....he was talking on the ****ing phone! What the hell is going on here, this could have been tragic if I wasn't watching the truck as close as I was.

I would be pissed if that happened to me but since it happened to madmom, it made me laugh.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 04:17:48 PM »
Cops have been using cellular phones in their patrol cars quite a while now for administrative and non-emergent communications, freeing up the radio for emergency dispatch messages and such. Just sayin'.
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008, 04:19:20 PM »
^exactly!!! No evidence that he was talking to his wife about dinner or something else like that.

Idjits.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 05:09:46 PM »
Bunch -o- mini bouncies...... :tongue: We just shoot cell phone users here in Arizona, hell everyone is packing a gun so why not use it?

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".