Author Topic: Student Backs Teacher In Fight To Keep Bible On Desk  (Read 6823 times)

Offline jtyangel

Re: Student Backs Teacher In Fight To Keep Bible On Desk
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2008, 01:53:51 PM »
I wouldn't have any idea TNO and neither do you by the way. Who's to say he doesn't study it on his free period? As long as he's not "preaching the word" to the kids he is allowed to have a bible in his classroom.

So, there you go. Because we can't come up with a good reason why the teacher keeps the Bible visibly on his desk, we can reasonably assume that he is doing so because he wants to it on display.

Good thing you aren't an administrator there. You are wrong on this and make a decision based on wrong-headedness and you could get slapped with a hefty discrimination lawsuit. Just sayin'.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2008, 01:54:40 PM »
I wouldn't have any idea TNO and neither do you by the way. Who's to say he doesn't study it on his free period? As long as he's not "preaching the word" to the kids he is allowed to have a bible in his classroom.

So, there you go. Because we can't come up with a good reason why the teacher keeps the Bible visibly on his desk, we can reasonably assume that he is doing so because he wants to it on display.
He can have a bible visibly on his desk! As long as he is not "preaching the word"
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2008, 02:05:28 PM »
He can have a bible visibly on his desk! As long as he is not "preaching the word"

Religious displays in public schools are tantamount to state endorsement of religion.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2008, 02:08:00 PM »

Religious displays in public schools are tantamount to state endorsement of religion.
You can't endorse atheism either.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2008, 02:10:08 PM »

Try and enforce that! You would then have to forbid people wearing crucifixes and stars of david around their neck. How many times do atheists and secularists have to lose this battle before it becomes clear?
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2008, 02:12:41 PM »

Agreed. I wouldn't want teachers displaying atheist manifestos in the classroom any more than I want teachers displaying religious texts.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2008, 02:17:28 PM »

Agreed. I wouldn't want teachers displaying atheist manifestos in the classroom any more than I want teachers displaying religious texts.
Scientific naturalism is a philosophy. They shouldn't be allowed to push that either. But alas, those of your mentality have preverted no endorsement of religion to the absolute ethnic cleansing of all things religious in the public forum...and beyond.

And you misread non-establishment clause.

It clearly states CONGRESS shall pass no law regarding the establishment of religion. That would be the national congress. The states were another issue.

Did you know the Massachusetts state constitution provided for the collecting of taxes for the building of churches and payment of ministers?

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2008, 02:35:05 PM »
Try and enforce that! You would then have to forbid people wearing crucifixes and stars of david around their neck. How many times do atheists and secularists have to lose this battle before it becomes clear?

I don't see anything wrong with a teachers wearing cross pendants as long as they're not purposefully wearing it on the outside of clothing they could easily and comfortably tuck it into.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2008, 02:38:19 PM »

I don't see anything wrong with a teachers wearing cross pendants as long as they're not purposefully wearing it on the outside of clothing they could easily and comfortably tuck it into.
You do realize, mein herr, that the constitution also protects religious expression.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2008, 02:42:08 PM »

Scientific naturalism is a philosophy. They shouldn't be allowed to push that either. But alas, those of your mentality have preverted no endorsement of religion to the absolute ethnic cleansing of all things religious in the public forum...and beyond.

It clearly states CONGRESS shall pass no law regarding the establishment of religion. That would be the national congress. The states were another issue.

Did you know the Massachusetts state constitution provided for the collecting of taxes for the building of churches and payment of ministers?

I don't know if I can completely agree with the section that I bolded. Remember, many liberals seem to think that NOT bowing down to islam is exclusionary and narrow-minded.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2008, 02:45:36 PM »

Nonsense. I have nothing against schools teaching students about various religions. What I'm against are schools promoting religion.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2008, 02:47:30 PM »

I don't know if I can completely agree with the section that I bolded. Remember, many liberals seem to think that NOT bowing down to islam is exclusionary and narrow-minded.
Ah-h-h...but my good sir; partaking of Ramadan prayers, learning to pray in the Muslim fashion and writing essays on the favorable passages of the Koran isn't religion...it's multi-culturalism designed to move you off of your racist, xenophobic American jongoism.  :p

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2008, 02:50:34 PM »
You do realize, mein herr, that the constitution also protects religious expression.

Religious displays on publicly owned property violate the Establishment Clause of the Constitution. Sorry about that.

:hammer:

Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Offline Chris_

« Reply #38 on: April 18, 2008, 02:54:05 PM »
Ah-h-h...but my good sir; partaking of Ramadan prayers, learning to pray in the Muslim fashion and writing essays on the favorable passages of the Koran isn't religion...it's multi-culturalism designed to move you off of your racist, xenophobic American jongoism.  :p

Okay. I understand now. Wow! If it wasn't for all of us Christians the world sure would be a much more peaceful and harmonious place. :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: April 18, 2008, 02:55:05 PM »

Nonsense. I have nothing against schools teaching students about various religions. What I'm against are schools promoting religion.
But the draconian purges of the ACLU, PftAW etc do not rest there. ALL expressions are being purged. You by your own admission would bring government sanction on any teacher deemed to have failed t wear their cross or mogen David on the inside of their clothes.

A small piece of gold...
in a particular shape...
deemed to have been deliberately worn in view of the student body...

What shall you do? Confiscate the offending piece of gold in a particular shape? Fine them? Fire them? Revoke their teaching license?

What dastardly harm they must be inflicting on such tender young minds.

Religious displays on publicly owned property violate the Establishment Clause of the Constitution. Sorry about that.
Yes, another grand liberal MISinterpretation. Please re-read my point about the Massachusetts state constitution and get back to me (unless it troubles you too much to admit its existence).

• Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2008, 03:05:57 PM »
BTW - If you're threatened by crosses on federal property as a violation of the non-establishment clause I'm guessing national military cemeteries must send you over the brink.

Better grab a hammer and get busy...there's a lot of them. It's be  a shame if all them soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines died to have their freedom FROM religion violated by plopping big ol' headstones with crosses and stars down on top of them.

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2008, 03:14:32 PM »
Bill of Rights
Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.billofrights.html

Congress shall pass no law.  Nor prohibit free excercise thereof.  This is not difficult phrasing for anyone to wrap their brains around.  How can a reasonable person say some teacher in Birdshit, Pennsylvania putting a Bible on his desk equates to CONGRESS PASSING A LAW (<-- what the Constitution says not to do) requiring everyone to practice a state religion?  And how can a reasonable person favor penalizing a person for having a Bible on his desk (<-- also what the Constitution says not to do)?  This endorsement line is a crock of shit.  The Constitution says nothing of endorsement.  It says Congress shall pass no law.  Period.  
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 03:20:26 PM by Red October »

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2008, 03:16:54 PM »
Thank you, RedOctober.

That is so basic, so simple, so fundamental, so elementary, I wonder why the anti-religious left doesn't understand it.

I mean, it doesn't take more than two brain-cells to grasp it.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Red October

• Future All Star
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2008, 03:22:06 PM »
Thank you, RedOctober.

That is so basic, so simple, so fundamental, so elementary, I wonder why the anti-religious left doesn't understand it.

:greet:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2008, 03:34:29 PM »
Thank you, RedOctober.

Today's liberals want it to mean what they, if writing it today, would mean.  It certainly isn't news, but this is the reason why they persist in petitioning "liberal" courts to interpret it that way.....

doc

Offline The Night Owl

• Banned
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2008, 03:39:24 PM »
BTW - If you're threatened by crosses on federal property as a violation of the non-establishment clause I'm guessing national military cemeteries must send you over the brink.

Better grab a hammer and get busy...there's a lot of them. It's be  a shame if all them soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines died to have their freedom FROM religion violated by plopping big ol' headstones with crosses and stars down on top of them.

Religious tombstones on public lands don't violate the Establishment Clause because the design of a tombstone or what goes on it is up to the service members buried there or their loved ones and does not constitute government endorsement of a particular religion or of religion in general.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

• Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2008, 03:50:46 PM »

Religious tombstones on public lands don't violate the Establishment Clause because the design of a tombstone or what goes on it is up to the service members buried there or their loved ones and does not constitute government endorsement of a particular religion or of religion in general.
And how do you reconcile that with your prohibitions against a cross around the neck?

And why do you continue to ignore my point about the Massachusetts state constitution?

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2008, 04:08:21 PM »
Umm, a citizen possessing a bible at his place of employment (even if it's a govt entity) doesn't equal government establishment of a religion either.

Snuggles, I don't think TNO has ever taken a civics class.

Edited to add: This should twirl TNO's skirt - I recently attended a school field trip. We went here - http://www.historicstjohnschurch.org/ This is what we saw - http://www.historicstjohnschurch.org/hist_main.htm We *GASP* bowed our heads to pray at the beginning too because the audience participates as "delegates". Every head was bowed, every eye closed. Even the two Muslim mothers who were also chaperones. Chew on that one for a while..... :-)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 04:12:59 PM by DixieBelle »
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline MrsSmith

« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2008, 09:45:21 AM »
It's enough to make one think that atheists, agnostics, secular humanists and liberals all have one thing in common...their belief systems are so weak that the mere sight of a Bible or the printed Ten Commandments is enough to overwhelm them with fear and doubt.  Seriously, after years and years of the secular brainwashing forced under US law, the mere sight of a Bible is horrifying?   :loser:

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2008, 12:40:46 PM »
It's enough to make one think that atheists, agnostics, secular humanists and liberals all have one thing in common...their belief systems are so weak that the mere sight of a Bible or the printed Ten Commandments is enough to overwhelm them with fear and doubt.  Seriously, after years and years of the secular brainwashing forced under US law, the mere sight of a Bible is horrifying?   :loser:

Teh Jesus!! It burns!!! :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle