Author Topic: heretical primitive asks a question most primitives can't answer  (Read 938 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3172229

Oh my.

Now, reasonably, how many primitives can answer this question, never having been confronted with such an issue, that of punching a time-clock?

A HERETIC I AM  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-17-08 06:45 PM
Original message

DU'rs that have ever "Punched the Clock" at a job, have you ever been asked to punch anothers card?

I'm curious how this board might react and debate this question.

If you have ever been employed at a company of any size at which you punched a time card when entering or leaving, be it a factory or an office, have you ever been asked by a co-worker to punch in or out for them? In other words, the employee leaves early and asks you to punch their card as you walk out to make it appear he was there until 4:30 (or whenever) or punch his card when you get there to make it appear he was on time when in fact he arrives late.

Did you do it?

Have you ever asked a coworker to do this for you?

Is this inherently dishonest? Or is it merely a courtesy? Or is it a way to execute a well deserved "stick it to the man" type thing that doesn't make one bat an eye?

How did the company view such a practice?

I have to step out for a few hours so I won't be responding until later, but I am curious how DU'rs view this idea.

It has happened to me in the past and I admit, I did it and felt bad about doing it. I only did it a couple of times years ago at a Metals Supply company I worked for, and it was for the same employee. I told the guy not to ask anymore. I felt he was ripping off the company and making me a party to it (and he was). I can honestly say I never asked a coworker to do the same for me.

Thoughts?

skooooo  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-17-08 06:46 PM
Response to Original message

1. I wouldn't do it...

It's like signing someone's else's name on a contract or something.

insd  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-17-08 06:47 PM

2. One is risking one's own job doing that.

For me it would depend on my relationship with the coworker and the reason for my punching their card.

Mountainman  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-17-08 06:47 PM

3. Dishonest.

SoCalDem  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-17-08 06:47 PM

5. nope. we had to slide our own name badge anyway

no actual "cards"..and we had to enter a code to even access the system

Oceansaway  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-17-08 06:48 PM

6. back in the early 70's it went on alot at Deere, but then they put in scan card thingys and cameras everywhere.

That made it REAL hard to do it.....

sfexpat2000  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-17-08 06:50 PM

8. No and yes. At one job, both of us would have been fired instantly no matter how innocent the deal was (punch my card while I lock my locker and I'll be right there).

At another job, a lot of times, we couldn't get off of our security board on time because we were handling a call (break in, burglary -- you can't just say, "Sorry, I'm outta here!). So, one or the other of us would punch the whole shift out, Everyone knew and nobody cared.

I've been lucky because in all my working years, I never had to deal with dishonesty in my workplace by coworkers.

Doug's ex-wife used to work for a call-forwarding service, apparently.

mrcheerful  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-17-08 06:51 PM

9. Personally never done the punch out game for another nor asked did my job went home.

Now my GM family members and friends did that 3 or 4 times a week as did their buddies, though one exception to it was my dad, he stayed even if he got his job done early. Dad felt he was stealing from the company if he didn't stay at work and had someone else punch out for him. But dad was of the generation that started in the 50's before the unions got the power they had in the mid to late 60's.

mike_c  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-17-08 06:51 PM

10. I think it's a perfectly fine way to "stick it to the man" but...

...but frankly I don't have much respect for folks who ask others to do their stickin' for them.

cornermouse  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-17-08 06:56 PM

11. No.

And since I don't want to get fired. I wouldn't anyway.

sandnsea  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Thu Apr-17-08 06:56 PM

12. I think there must be different 'rules' for different jobs

I can't remember which jobs had punch clocks when I was younger, but I know we all punched each others cards and the bosses knew about it and expected it. I also know as a secretary we never kept track of minutes here and there. I think there must be a different set of "rules" for "lowly" line workers or something, where there's more of a management worker divide.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Bondai

• Rode hard and put up wet too many times.
Re: heretical primitive asks a question most primitives can't answer
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 08:54:01 PM »
We had some folks do that where I work, they are no longer employed here...go figure. :mental:

"It's mercy, compassion, and forgiveness I lack; not rationality".

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 09:08:16 PM »
Back when I was 18 or so I had my first office job.  We punched a time clock.  The time clock was located at the end of the warehouse far away from the office. 

One of the warehouse guys lived near me and did not have a car.  I picked him up every morning.  As a courtesy, this guy would punch me in when he punched in.  That way I didn't have to walk the warehouse and back, and could go right in and answer the already ringing phones. 

This got both of us in trouble once when it was observed.  The warehouse guy (who was a vital employee) pointed out that if he was there it was because I drove him, so I must be there too.  I punched myself in thereafter until the day I walked in and didn't answer the phone and the owner noticed.  It was soon deemed OK for the warehouse guy to punch me in.

Sometimes practical rules are impractical.  It was this time especially.  I was the guy doing the payroll every Thursday.  No one ever checked my time card but me.l

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 09:28:37 PM »
I must admit I am surprised that the DUmmies are showing such a high level of ethical behavior.  To me it's one of those things where you follow local custom...if the rules are rigidly enforced, you follow them rigidly; if the management does it pro forma and it's just a ritual that has to be followed and nobody cares as long as all the workers get punched in and out, that's how you treat it.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Miss Mia

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 10:38:57 PM »
We have a punch clock at the dealership.  The only time I've ever punched someone in/out is when they're in the room with me, but I just happen to be at the time clock already doing mine.  *shrug*  I'd never do it as a lie, like if someone left and wanted me to punch them out a couple of hours later. 
Stink Eye
"Bloodninja: It doesn't get any more serious than a Rhinocerus about to charge your ass."