Author Topic: I am concerned about the new 21-23 year olds entering the workforce  (Read 3145 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: I am concerned about the new 21-23 year olds entering the workforce
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2008, 02:44:45 PM »
^Isn't it though? We're overcorrecting to the detriment of society at large. I shudder at the thought.....
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lauri

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2008, 06:08:14 PM »
Well, all I can say is that this is just may be a result of the "Liberal College System". 

I'm 23.  I've held a job for over 6 years now.  I'm responsible for millions of dollars worth of equipment, not to mention the responsibility of making sure 10,000 Americans are kept safe from violent weather.  I'm respectful of those above me, courteous to those below me, and I never try to burn bridges that I may need in the future.

And I've gotten here without ever stepping foot on a college campus (except for the time I spent a weekend with an ex).

my 22 year old daughter is working 50 hours a week in an up and coming retail shop and also goes to school full time downtown, and is interning for a third time. her fiance-to-be is about to graduate next month with a degree in Engineering and a minor in Math. he also helps his dad with harvest every summer and drives combine for other families in eastern washington.

most of their friends have solid degrees and most of them are interning while in school.

i know there are idiots in every single generation, but i see more hard working kids than i do lazy kids of late..

Offline Lauri

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2008, 06:22:27 PM »

I appreciate this visual gift, DixieBelle.  You are right.  Kids today don't appreciate the unexpected excitement of hearing the ice cream truck down the street coming their way.  Or maybe they aren't allowed to appreciate such a quaint Americana experience. 

I remember one that came to our neighborhood once a week.  It wasn't our usual ice cream truck.  It was like a small RV.  For lack of a better description, it was like a rolling Dairy Queen.  Very exciting! 

Ah, the old days.  Why did we let them go away?   

we still have those .. but they are driven by old Indian men with turbans  :o  :-)