Author Topic: If something happened to your SO, could you survive financially? (greenbriar)  (Read 3151 times)

Online Carl

• Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x3163086

greenbriar  (1000+ posts)        Tue Apr-15-08 09:09 PM
Original message
If something happened to your SO, could you survive financially?
   Hubby and I have been doing some figuring and if anything happened to either of us, the other would be not so financially sound even after life insurance because of what the government would take.

The 8th grade plagiarizing school teacher that got a huge ring for Christmas then complained about her husbands affections on a cruise they were going on.

She came back declaring her love for someone she met on the cruise and how she couldn`t afford to live after a divorce but now this.

I wonder if Mr greenbriar sleeps with one eye open? :o

greenbriar  (1000+ posts)        Tue Apr-15-08 09:15 PM
Response to Reply #5
7. I thought the government would take a part of the life insurance
   if they don't then we would be okay

greenbriar  (1000+ posts)        Tue Apr-15-08 09:20 PM
Response to Reply #11
12. In that case, I would be fine
   his life insurance would pay off all our debt and the house would be free because we have that survivors benefit...

I am nto as worried now

:o :o

Offline jtyangel

What in the hell??

Offline djones520

This woman is fugging nutz...
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Today's vocabulary word is "premeditated".  Can you say "premeditated"? 

I knew you could.

:mental:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Online Carl

• Global Moderator
This woman is fugging nutz...

Imagine how little those kids she "teaches" must learn.
I bet everyday is one non stop rant of one sort or another.

Offline Chris_

Um, Life Insurance is not taxable: http://www.irs.gov/faqs/faq4-9.html

So I don't know what she means that the Govt will take some of it.

Me, if I go, Mrs. FD will return to Mexico with a cool couple of million in her pocket.  Good thing she likes me.  A lot.

;)

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
greenbriar  (1000+ posts)        Tue Apr-15-08 09:20 PM
Response to Reply #11
12. In that case, I would be fine
   his life insurance would pay off all our debt and the house would be free because we have that survivors benefit...

I am nto as worried now

I think someone's been watching "To Die For" a few times too many. I doubt she'd have the guts to do it herself. However, unless she looks something like Nicole Kidman (highly unlikely, bitter, hateful woman are ALWAYS butt ugly), she'll be hard pressed to find a 14 year old to do it for her. Just think, though, since her and TiT are such good friends they could double date.

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline djones520

Or maybe TiT can use his "2nd Most Decorated Sailor in the Navy" skills to make Mr Briar dissapear, since he's expressed an interest in her before.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Sounds like she's planning to off him.  Watch out, Mr. Greenbriar!   :lmao:

Of course if you're married to her it might be a 'mercy killing.'

The Feds won't take tax the life insurance proceeds on your spouse, at least as long as they pay to you personally instead of to some exotic and unnecessary financial scam, but state inheritance taxes may or may not apply to it. 
Read a damned book, greenbriar, instead of just copying stuff from them.

:loser:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Flame

Good grief....she wants the man dead.

And on a side note, if something happened to Mr Flame, I'd be fine.  Ditto if something happened to me.   

At least finacially.   Emotionally, I'm not so sure.

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
It scares the Bejezzus out of me that this psycho freak is entrusted with the care of school children every day...

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12

And on a side note, if something happened to Mr Flame, I'd be fine.  Ditto if something happened to me.   

The second part is what would scare the Hell out of me.  Raising our daughter as a single Dad, crying myself to sleep night after night.  It would be tough.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline jtyangel

despite our issues here, we also have had an emergency financial plan for many years now. It would allow me to complete school while remaining focused on the kids here for a few years and manage anything that would come after. By the same token, my other half, while not having as much on me, would still have plenty to at least pay the car off and a respectable portion of the mortgage, making new found childcare duties an easier expense on him and making his lifestyle and the children's, at least financially, pretty stable.

Why greenbrier would choose this as the time to discuss something like this given her multiple threads on how unhappy she is with the man is what is perplexing. I actually think I might 'get' her. I think she's grateful to the husband on a financial level and knows he is a good provider, but is very unhappy with the emotional aspect of the marriage. If that's all it is, then I get her. What I don't get though is that she has the power to leave financially...she is a teacher and has an individual income. What she seems to bemoan is the fact that he will take his income with him if they divorce. A lot of women would wish for the flexibility of a stable career that would allow them the oppurtunity to start over on their own time frame and could care less if that start is in an apartment on a tight budget with no lavish vacations or rings, as long as they are out of the bad marriage. She really should be ashamed of the things she writes. She has the flexibility to leave, but doesn't want to the take the hit of losing the things she's grown accustomed to. That's really at the heart of it.  I guess she has a choice to make then doesn't she? Sleep with the husband a couple times a week and keep all her pretty things, or give up the pretty things and have life on her own terms without having to compromise with a partner...wonder which she values more?

Offline Chris_

Folks, you should have life insurance at least 5X the bread-winner's gross salary.  It can be a little expensive, but it is prudent.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Oh. My. God. Someone needs to screen cap that in the event we read about "the school teacher who's husband died mysteriously". Yikes.

We would be fine. Both of us have more than adequate coverage and we have run the different scenarios.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline stickyboot

Echoing my own thoughts, there.

Well, she doesn't seem overly concerned about the non-financial aspects of suddenly becoming a widow, does she? What do you want to bet she's creepy and tacky enough, that even if Mr. Greenbriar dies of completely natural and innocent causes, she'll be on the DUmboard 1) gloating about celebrating her new freedom, or 2) playing the grieving devoted life partner to the hilt and sucking up on the attention?

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
I haven't seen her picture.  Not sure I want to either.

Speaking of 14-year olds, Pamela Smart tried to get out of prison not too long ago.  So did the kid (Billy Flynn?) who pulled the trigger.  She was actually teaching at Winnacunnet HS, which is in Hampton near where I work. 
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
For the kids in the back row :-)

http://who2.com/ask/pamelasmart.html

Yikes!

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline jtyangel

Yikes!

Ahh, made famous by the Nicole Kidman movie.

I always remember how cold she was--the character anyway. Never read up on the real happenings.

Offline NHSparky

Still a big story around here.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
I thought it was just a made up Hollywood story until I found out later. Truth really is stranger than fiction!

Offline lastparker

medeak  (1000+ posts)      Tue Apr-15-08 11:44 PM
Response to Original message
40. am shocked by the ignorance on DU
 perhaps we should be more like repubs in one respect..financial responsiblity and knowledge?

:o

Sometimes the DUmmies seem to be so close to enlightenment........
Cursing is the crutch of the inarticulate mother****er, DUmmies.   -NHSparky

Deadbeats eating mushroom duxelles and dandelion salad with a shallot vinaigrette are still deadbeats.    -GOBUCKS

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator

Offline NHSparky

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator

Yikes!
Hmmm Florida, it figures.

Florida?  Huh?  Ya lost me.
Vital Stats
Birth
16 August 1967
(age 40)

Birthplace