Author Topic: Guns at Presidential events  (Read 293 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Guns at Presidential events
« on: August 17, 2009, 02:55:11 PM »
pscot  (1000+ posts)        Tue Aug-11-09 11:21 PM
DUmp linkieOriginal message
Guns at Presidential events
 Does the 2nd amendment give people the right to carry a gun into a public venue where the President is appearing? If someone tries to bring a gun to such an event, does the Secret Service have the right to disarm them and forbid them to enter. Is possession of a gun at such an event a de facto threat to the President?

I am assuming the DUmp monkiez are talking about this because of protests that have people in them that are carrying firearms.

Hell, when I was in Iraq and the VP came to visit I had to leave my weapons at the check in gate...

goclark  (1000+ posts)         Tue Aug-11-09 11:25 PM
Response to Original message
1. Kicking for answers ~ Dr. Gates was going into his own house
 and he got arrested for "talking back" to an officer.
Don't believe he had a gun.

People were arrested all the time during civil rights marches and they didn't have guns. They were arrested "while Negro."

They were bitten by dogs in broad daylight and nothing that I am aware of happened to those officers holding the dogs.

DUmb answer on the first try.

sharesunited (1000+ posts)      Tue Aug-11-09 11:33 PM
6. The current misinterpretation of the 2nd should be revisited ASAP. Guns are a menace.

::)

tridim  (1000+ posts)        Thu Aug-13-09 11:34 AM
Response to Reply #67
78. Life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
 All of which are threatened by your publicly displayed weapon, fired or not. Your weapon is no concern of mine if you just leave it at home, but when you flaunt it in public it most definitely is.

When the President is involved then it becomes a national security issue.

I think tridim has a small penis.

fedupinhouston (53 posts)      Wed Aug-12-09 05:43 PM
Response to Reply #53
57. So exercising my rights...
 ...makes me an horrible human being? You have a pretty twisted standard of review.

So besides being pretty damned ignorant and selfish, you're also exceedingly judgmental and insulting....got it. 

iverglas  (1000+ posts)       Wed Aug-12-09 09:49 AM
27. okay, so I've figured out what this is about

I'd missed the actual news in my brief visits to the CNN news cycle yesterday.

Obviously a lot of people have done what my first impulse was to do.

http://www.salon.com/opinion/walsh/?last_story=/opinion... /

"Who was that gun-toting anti-Obama protester?"

Kostric insisted his intentions were peaceful, and that he's not affiliated with Birther groups.

But at least one of those statements doesn't seem to be true. A right-wing activist named "William Kostric," who's left a lot of footprints around the Web, is listed as a "team member" of the Arizona chapter of We the People, the far-right group best known for joining a lawsuit challenging Obama's right to be president based on his not being a U.S. citizen. Kostric told MSNBC he recently moved from Arizona to New Hampshire. (Kostric did not reply to Salon's e-mail request for an interview.)

And on his MySpace page (h/t Lavender Newswire), Kostric also lists as one of his heroes Robert Schultz, the anti-tax activist and We the People founder who spent a ton of his own money on ads promoting the Birther movement. At a press conference in December, Schultz told reporters: "This nation is headed towards a vortex of a Constitutional crisis. While on the one hand, the Obama citizenship issue is so simple a schoolchild could grasp it, if left festering and unanswered, it possesses the potential to send our nation into a time of great peril."

Kostric's MySpace profile also lists among his heroes Randy Weaver, the white supremacist and right-wing activist who survived the Ruby Ridge confrontation with federal agents, along with Ayn Rand's John Galt, Thomas Jefferson, libertarian/GOP presidential candidate Ron Paul and William Wallace, the Scottish resistance leader portrayed in Mel Gibson's "Braveheart."

The profile also includes, as one of Kostric's "Top 12 friends," the Free State Movement, a group organizing libertarians to move to New Hampshire and expand on the state's "Live Free or Die" credo, and ultimately secede from the union. A "William Kostric" also signed two pledges at PledgeBank, a site that lets people organize around various causes. Kostric's two pledges include: "move to New Hampshire by 12/31/2008 where I will work to bring about a society in which government’s maximum role is protecting life, liberty, and property" -- the credo of Free State Movement members -- and "refuse to accept a national ID card," a cause among many far-right libertarians.

Duh.

http://www.pledgebank.com/search?q=kostric

His pledge:

"William Kostric
move to New Hampshire by 12/31/2008 where I will work to bring about a society in which government’s maximum role is protecting life, liberty, and property
refuse to accept a national ID card

Turn over a gun militant, and you find ...

The leftist typical action is to attack the citizen...

lovecanada56035 (51 posts)      Wed Aug-12-09 05:31 PM
56. Who cares?
 Guns are deadly, and shouldn't be in the hands of anybody but the police.

In Canada the police have guns...but very few others do.

The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!