Author Topic: Rage and Sadness made me do it...  (Read 867 times)

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
Rage and Sadness made me do it...
« on: August 17, 2009, 07:35:50 AM »
This is a bunch of horseshit! :whatever:
Are_grits_groceries  (1000+ posts)        Sat Aug-15-09 05:31 AM
Original message
 lutznancy's diary :: ::

Yesterday, I went with my daughter to her doctor, a gastroenterologist, and as I was sitting in the waiting room with her, I saw a couple walk in. The woman wore a large straw hat, and was really thin, and I figured she was there for an appointment--this practice takes care of lots of cancer patients. Her partner, a thin man, was so sweet to her, patting her hand calling her sweet names. They were in their late 50's to early 60's as far as I could tell. What struck me was how sweet they were to each other, which has maybe nothing to do with this story at all, but....

it may have had something to do with what I did. I heard the receptionist call the man to her window and ask for his co-payment of $40. So, he must have had some kind of insurance plan. Well, he didn't have the $40 and told her he was on disability and things were bad. She told him he would have to RESCHEDULE his appointment because he could not be seen without the co-payment--it was clear then that he was there to see the doctor.

I don't really know why my blood started to boil. Maybe it's because I'm following this healthcare debate closly, and I'm aware of the terrible state of our healthcare system. Maybe it was because this was so unfair I couldn't let it stand. So without really thinking of it beyond my rage and sadness at the situation, I went up to the couple who were seated and not knowing what to do and I said, "Don't worry, I'll pay your co-payment for you." They were stunned. He told me he wanted my name and I said that it wasn't neccessary, and that if he did something good for someone else that day, it was enough. Sort of a pay it forward thing, I guess.

The receptionist was also stunned and I said very loudly, "This should not be happening. These people should not be shut out of an appointment over $40." I hoped everyone in that room heard me. I also turned to the gentleman and told him that America needs to reform this healthcare system so that his situation could be avoided. I paid the money, the receptionist told me I was doing a wonderful thing, and we went on with my daughter's appointment.

I was livid about what had happened to these people. And I suppose an administrator could have been called to the desk and maybe the co-payment could have been waived or postponed, maybe. These poor people just sat there looking so beaten---I couldn't let that stand. And my loud lobbying for healthcare reform in that office may have changed some people's minds? I don't know. All I know is the guy was seen by the doctor--that day.

http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2009/8/14/766711/-Rag... ...

Yeah, why reform the best health care in the world? 

I have never had a doctors office ask for the co-payment up front! :whatever: Another bouncy! :whatever:http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6310993
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Re: Rage and Sadness made me do it...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 07:46:09 AM »
This is a bunch of horseshit! :whatever:I have never had a doctors office ask for the co-payment up front! :whatever: Another bouncy! :whatever:http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6310993

Actually a lot of doctors have signs in the office that say if you don't have the copay on you to reschedule. I had to reschedule one a couple months back because I forgot my wallet.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline ScubaGuy

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 07:57:58 AM »
Are_grits_groceries  (1000+ posts)        Sat Aug-15-09 05:31 AM
Original message
 lutznancy's diary :: ::

it may have had something to do with what I did. I heard the receptionist call the man to her window and ask for his co-payment of $40. So, he must have had some kind of insurance plan. Well, he didn't have the $40 and told her he was on disability and things were bad. She told him he would have to RESCHEDULE his appointment because he could not be seen without the co-payment--it was clear then that he was there to see the doctor.

I don't really know why my blood started to boil. Maybe it's because I'm following this healthcare debate closly, and I'm aware of the terrible state of our healthcare system. Maybe it was because this was so unfair I couldn't let it stand. So without really thinking of it beyond my rage and sadness at the situation, I went up to the couple who were seated and not knowing what to do and I said, "Don't worry, I'll pay your co-payment for you." They were stunned. He told me he wanted my name and I said that it wasn't neccessary, and that if he did something good for someone else that day, it was enough. Sort of a pay it forward thing, I guess.

The receptionist was also stunned and I said very loudly, "This should not be happening. These people should not be shut out of an appointment over $40." I hoped everyone in that room heard me. I also turned to the gentleman and told him that America needs to reform this healthcare system so that his situation could be avoided. I paid the money, the receptionist told me I was doing a wonderful thing, and we went on with my daughter's appointment.

I was livid about what had happened to these people. And I suppose an administrator could have been called to the desk and maybe the co-payment could have been waived or postponed, maybe. These poor people just sat there looking so beaten---I couldn't let that stand. And my loud lobbying for healthcare reform in that office may have changed some people's minds? I don't know. All I know is the guy was seen by the doctor--that day.

So they were told they had to reschedule and then sat back down?  Why would the receptionist be stunned or care who made the co-payment?

Total BS story.

25 years ago we had Ronald Reagan, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have Obama, no hope and no cash.

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 08:01:02 AM »
Actually a lot of doctors have signs in the office that say if you don't have the copay on you to reschedule. I had to reschedule one a couple months back because I forgot my wallet.
Wow! I must have a pretty cool doc then! :-) Never had that happen!
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 08:02:17 AM »
Bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce, bounce.....
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 08:18:30 AM »
I've never been denied care for not ponying up the co-pay during an office visit.  Depending on the procedure, the office was never always sure what the amount was going to be.  They would simply bill me.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 10:56:24 AM »
I'm sure under her nationalized care this couple would not even have been in the office. Their appointment, even for life-saving tests and procedures, would be down the road about 4 or 5 months still.  :whatever:

IF this was true, this is normally posted and regulars would be aware the copay is required. My feeling is a couple in that age range would probably call the doctor FIRST if they knew they'd have issues making the copay and see if something could be arranged.

BTW, many of those copays are so high because of people who have abused seeing the doctor for every little pain, moan, groan, and ache. If people were more selective to begin with, costs wouldn't continually get driven up. I'm saying that as an aside, because I don't know the people in question, but I do empathize with a high copay(my family has one too and 90 bucks one month when a coupe people get sick really can be a budget breaker for those of us living very tightly at the moment), but I do recognize the whys of how it got that way. The DUmmie should be mad at all the various individuals and groups who claim healthcare as their right and then assert their
'right' for the most inane of reasons.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 11:00:51 AM »
Our doctor has a sign in the waiting room about making co-pays up front, and may enforce it on new patients or known deadbeats. My wife and daughter have forgotten co-pays there several times, and they just send me a bill.

Aside from co-pays, this is a glaring example of bouncy. I miss the bushes and cops, but at least the transparency of the lie is still there. And I had a feeling the poor couple and the receptionist were on the verge of conversion.

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 11:47:04 AM »
I'm sure under her nationalized care this couple would not even have been in the office. Their appointment, even for life-saving tests and procedures, would be down the road about 4 or 5 months still.  :whatever:

IF this was true, this is normally posted and regulars would be aware the copay is required. My feeling is a couple in that age range would probably call the doctor FIRST if they knew they'd have issues making the copay and see if something could be arranged.

BTW, many of those copays are so high because of people who have abused seeing the doctor for every little pain, moan, groan, and ache. If people were more selective to begin with, costs wouldn't continually get driven up. I'm saying that as an aside, because I don't know the people in question, but I do empathize with a high copay(my family has one too and 90 bucks one month when a coupe people get sick really can be a budget breaker for those of us living very tightly at the moment), but I do recognize the whys of how it got that way. The DUmmie should be mad at all the various individuals and groups who claim healthcare as their right and then assert their
'right' for the most inane of reasons.

That's one thing I haven't heard mentioned too much is if uncle sam is in control of healthcare all the primitives will be rushing to the doctor for hangnails. This increase in demand will bankrupt the system in no time.
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 11:47:15 AM »
If this did happen what a horrible way to treat those folks.  I've done stuff like that but it was handled differently.  If I had done this I would have simply gone to the desk and told the receptionist here is their $40 co-pay.  Just tell them you made a mistake and they didn't have a co-pay for this visit.

Done.

Charity is supposed to be anonymous.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline asdf2231

• would like to cordially invite you to the pants party!
  • VRWC Arts And Crafts Director
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2009, 11:49:23 AM »
When I forget the checkbook or don't have any cash I just tell them to bill the copay to me.

Build a man a fire and he will be warm for awhile.
Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life...

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 11:54:00 AM »
Ah......ah.......ah..........BULLSHIT!

Likely, this older couple has been seeing this particular doc for frikkin years!!!! I know my Doc frequently waves copays for his elderly patients. Never heard of one that didn't! And if some asshat started talking this bullshirt in my Doc's office, I'd kick it's ass out the door! I'm sure Doc would more than likely see me for free for the assistance!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2009, 12:02:26 PM »
When I forget the checkbook or don't have any cash I just tell them to bill the copay to me.

Same here unless it's a weekend and I've had to go to the walk-in clinic....but the copay is only $10.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Duchess

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2009, 12:04:20 PM »
If this did happen what a horrible way to treat those folks.  I've done stuff like that but it was handled differently.  If I had done this I would have simply gone to the desk and told the receptionist here is their $40 co-pay.  Just tell them you made a mistake and they didn't have a co-pay for this visit.

Done.

KC

Done.

KC

That's what I was thinking. It was undoubtedly nice of her to pay their co-pay, up until she used it as a platform to grandstand and embarrass the couple. And as others here have pointed out, under DeathCare they wouldn't even HAVE an appointment for love or money. They'd be like the Canadians on waiting lists for treatment, only there won't be any US across the border to go to try to get treatment before you die from waiting for it.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2009, 12:49:44 PM »
Shouldn't the DUmmie boycott the doctor ?

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 01:01:48 PM »
How come the DUmmie didn't pony up the co-pay?
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 01:09:27 PM »
How come the DUmmie didn't pony up the co-pay?

It did, that's what the whole bouncy is about. The fact is, if THIS did happen, it then stood on a soap box to convert everyone in the office, including the receptionist, over to Obamacaresnot!
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!