Author Topic: juvenile primitive, having moved out of house, has problems with rental agency  (Read 850 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x6322883

Oh my.

No comment; some people just should not move away from mom and dad.

armyowalgreens  (1000+ posts)        Sun Aug-16-09 09:09 PM
Original message

Does anyone have any experience with Renters' Rights advocate groups?

I'm having some issues with the rental agency.

They have failed to provide repairs that they said they would take care of. I'm calling tomorrow to notify them that I am becoming increasingly impatient with their unwillingness to follow through with their side of the contract.

They have also threatened to fine us for dead grass in the front yard. Even though the grass was dead when we moved in and we have been trying to grow it back.

But I don't really understand renters' rights. And I want to make sure that I have the facts before I risk notifying them that I am taking legal action.

No primitives at the bonfire yet.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
The chances are growing slimmer by the day that this scrawny hippie will ever snap out of it and become a normal person.
He is greatly handicapped by a very low level of intelligence, which is the most common cause of lifelong DUmmitude.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
I think sooner or later this person is going to get slapped up side the head by real life. I hope he still has some life in front of him after that happens.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Only response:

Quote from:
grasswire

1. yes, you should find the state law and read up

In my state, the remedy for failure to make repairs is to withhold rent while notifying the landlord that you are doing so to encourage the repairs. HOWEVER it is a serious thing to do and may backfire on you.

I don't know what the law is where you are. You may or may not have a renters rights group. YOU are the one who can do the homework to find help.

I highly doubt any State has a law that says you can withhold paying rent until repairs are made, so "may backfire" should be changed to "will backfire."  You can however, with the assistance of an attorney or whatever the State will allow, and upon demonstration that the owner isn't keeping their end of the bargain, pay your rent into an escrow account until such time repairs are made.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
Let them protest by sleeping in the front yard under a tent

Online Karin

DON'T GET ME STARTED ON STINKING RENTERS!!

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
DON'T GET ME STARTED ON STINKING RENTERS!!

And in the case of a DUmmie, renters can't stink much more than that...

Offline Defiant1

• I hate this avatar
  • Probationary (Probie)
The DUmmy better be looking for a new place to live if he plans on suing his landlord.

Even if he wins, he loses.

Offline jukin

In my experience there are two different categories of repairs: immediate concerning basic needs and safety (utilities, broken windows/doors, hole in the floor/roof,...) and ordinary (all else). In our state one has three days after receiving written notice from renter if it is an immediate repair. There is nothing about doing ordinary repairs. If the DUmmy wrote (which I doubt) about a leaking rain gutter and the rental agency sent back a written commitment then the DUmmy is SOL and at the mercy of the agency.

I'm going to go with Frank's assessment of what Dummies do all the time on this issue.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
Didn't he have a problem with his locks two weeks ago? His key wouldn't work. The hive told him to call a lock smith and deduct the fee from his rent.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Didn't he have a problem with his locks two weeks ago? His key wouldn't work. The hive told him to call a lock smith and deduct the fee from his rent.

Yes, that was the same DUmmy.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Tucker

Yes, that was the same DUmmy.

He's not off to a good start. He won't have to many of his possessions to repack.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
The Walmart DUmmy is renting a dump with a whole pack of other hippies. I doubt they are considered
high priority renters by the slumlord.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
The Walmart DUmmy is renting a dump with a whole pack of other hippies. I doubt they are considered
high priority renters by the slumlord.

I would hope the landlord is taking cash payments only.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Tucker

I would hope the landlord is taking cash payments only.

Some of the welfare programs have the Government deposit the money into your bank account direct. The entitled never see it.