Author Topic: primitives upset with Senator Ben Nelson (D-Nebraska).....again  (Read 560 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x5657616

Oh my.

Omaha Steve  (1000+ posts)         Thu May-14-09 08:18 PM
Original message

Ben Nelson (D-Ne) FIghts Key Obama Appointment At Justice Department

http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2009...

Critics question whether it's payback time

Is Nebraska Sen. Ben Nelson looking to slap a little payback on the Obama administration?

The conservative Democrat is bumping heads with the president on several fronts, and has not shown any public signs of giving ground.

Nelson is trying to block the confirmation of Dawn Johnsen as head of the important Office of Legal Counsel in the Department of Justice. He has cited her having served as legal counsel for NARAL- Pro Choice America (1988-1993). She is a professor of law at Indiana University and has held several important federal posts.*

Critics have noted that Nelson was never so picky about controversial appointments made by former President George W. Bush, and that he often voted to shut off debate on their nominations.Now, Nelson represents the 60th vote the administration needs to shutoff any filibuster and allow an up-or-down vote on Johnsen’s appointment – something Nelson previously said that virtually all Bush appointees were entitled to have.

I hate to say it to a fellow Nebraskan, OmahaSteve, but tough shit.

Didn't our fellow Nebraska Democrats applaud former Senator Charles Hagel (R-Nebraska) for his independence?

It goes both ways.

ThomCat  (1000+ posts)       Thu May-14-09 08:23 PM
Response to Original message

1. The more I read about Senator Nelson the more of a scumbag

he seems to be. He is adamantly opposed to reforming student loans so that they are less predatory. He is adamantly opposed to any public option to health care reform, insisting that private insurance is the only acceptable option. He is violently anti-choice.

Why the hell is this guy a Democrat?

Sebastian Doyle (1000+ posts)      Thu May-14-09 08:27 PM

2. How much longer are we going to tolerate this shit?

Opposes health care and ADMITS he's doing so because he's in the pocket of the insurance industry. Now he's opposing nominations. His voting record has always been 90% shitty. We do not need ASSHOLES like this calling themselves "Democrats".

**** YOU BEN NELSON. YOU ARE A DISGRACE TO HUMANITY.

Oh now, while franksolich has differences of opinion with Senator Nelson, franksolich thinks Senator Nelson is quite the opposite.  In fact, franksolich thinks of Senator Nelson as a nice guy, the salt of the earth, honest, principled, takes the long view.

One shouldn't let politics skew evaluation of someone's character.

Phoebe Loosinhouse  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-14-09 08:44 PM
Response to Reply #2

4. Nebraskans are as hard hit as anyone in this recession.

Personally, I wish we would play hardball with people like this - strip him of seniority, committee assigments, etc. Make him drive a Yugo and park in the space in the lot that always floods. Put a tuna sandwich in the pocket of his winter coat and move it to the hook over the heat register. When he naps in the Senate lounge, dip his hand in warm water.

HopeOverFear  (874 posts)         Thu May-14-09 08:45 PM

5. My not-so-nice email to Nelson:

"**** YOU, NELSON! STOP BLOCKING DAWN JOHNSEN'S NOMINATION TO THE OLC, YOU ASSHOLE!"

I really did say that. Too much?

But you're not a Nebraska voter.  Say what you want, it doesn't mean shit.

Thrill  (1000+ posts)         Thu May-14-09 08:45 PM

6. He's pretty much a Repuke. One of the biggest Bush Enablers

If it wasn't for him, there wouldn't have been those ridiculous Bush tax cuts.

uberblonde  (631 posts)        Thu May-14-09 08:47 PM

7. Let me guess.

Was he one of the "the President deserves to name his own appointees" crowd for the past eight years?

Alas! poor Senator Nelson! alas!

Caught between the unhappiness of OmahaSteve and franksolich!

Can't please either side!

Such are those later identified in history books as "Greatness."
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Sam Adams

Re: primitives upset with Senator Ben Nelson (D-Nebraska).....again
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 01:42:22 AM »
ThomCat  (1000+ posts)       Thu May-14-09 08:23 PM

1. The more I read about Senator Nelson the more of a scumbag

he seems to be. He is adamantly opposed to reforming student loans so that they are less predatory.

I guess this is a minor point, but there's almost nothing less predatory than a student loan these days.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 02:28:47 AM »
I guess this is a minor point, but there's almost nothing less predatory than a student loan these days.

Not minor at all.  As long as student loans go to deserving parties.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 07:54:39 AM »
One shouldn't let politics skew evaluation of someone's character.
Frank - that is the most succinct statement I've ever heard when speaking about the primitives.  :cheersmate:
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Karin

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 10:54:58 AM »
Isn't that Dawn Johnson the one who likened pregnancy to slavery?  Every whack job comes out of the woodwork whenever a democrat is elected.  Here is what people at Gradegov.com are telling Mr. Nelson: 

Sl_burns (DEM), writes
I gave you a grade of B.  The Democrats need get rid of Pelosi, also the memos that VP Cheney should also be released, since Obama opened this can of worms. 

Abc1943 (REP), writes
I gave you a grade of F. Because you stated the tea party people, are not informed. 

Remindthem (IND), writes
I gave you a grade of A. Because you had the courage to stand up and say that a Public Healthcare Option would NOT be good for this country!  Thank You