Author Topic: primitives discuss freezers  (Read 543 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
primitives discuss freezers
« on: May 08, 2009, 03:39:35 PM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x64535

Oh my.

The vindictive primitive, who wants to go get the hips replaced in a third-world country with free medical care for all, and a beach:

Vinca  (1000+ posts)      Thu May-07-09 05:52 PM
Original message

I need to buy a little chest freezer.

Any brand recommendations? Or horror stories?

The sparkling husband primitive, who probably has one of those miniature refrigerators next to the sink in front of the commode in the bathroom in the basement:

Stinky The Clown  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-07-09 07:09 PM
Response to Original message

1. I'll bet dollars to donuts that all you will find are made in China.

My son bought a small refrig (I know .... not the same) at Wal Mart and it has lasted him for years. He's since converted it to a keg cooler and it is still working.

The warped primitive:

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-07-09 07:32 PM

2. Just decide between front door and top door

People will tell you that front doors are less efficient because the "cool" all slides onto the floor when you open it. However, as somebody who has rummaged around in a top opening freezer to find something stuck on the bottom, I can tell you it's probably a wash between that and a quick open and shut of a front door.

Just look for the energy star rating.

The steely primitive, who collects antique computers and purple pin-striped suits:

Richard Steele  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-07-09 08:26 PM
Response to Reply #2

3. We have a top-door chest freezer here, and I'd recommend against that style entirely.

You practically have to unload the thing to retrieve items from the bottom.

We've discused putting some shelves in it, but we'd have to leave space to ACCESS those shelves, so much of the interior volume would then be unusable space.

I think a front-door style with movable shelving would be a much better way to go.

You can use ALL the interior space, while maintaining accessability.

Beyond that, I'd just look at the major brands and sort them by the energy star ratings.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-07-09 09:22 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. Mine is a front door bar fridge sized freezer and nearly everything is in reach immediately on the fixed shelves or in the removable basket on the bottom.

It's perfect for the stuff I buy in bulk at Costco and then eat for the next month.

Donnachaidh  (1000+ posts)      Thu May-07-09 10:12 PM

5. I have a top door freezer and have no complaints with it.

I'll give one word of advice, though. PLAN how you are going to fill it. Section areas of it off for certain things. Don't just buy shit and toss it in, either in the bottom or in the racks. Every single complaint I've heard about them comes from people who didn't take the time to PLAN on how they were going to use it, and just tossed shit in. Even frozen food has to be used within a timeframe. Clearly MARK what is in the packages, what date it was purchased, etc. And WHERE in the freezer it is. I keep a clipboard on a nail next to the freezer, with the listings, so I know what is there, and can plan meals accordingly. I rarely have to *go digging* for anything in this freezer.

We picked ours up new at Sears for under two hundred bucks several years ago. It hasn't failed us, and I wouldn't do without it.

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Thu May-07-09 11:13 PM
Response to Reply #5

6. Unfortunately, in the real world all those plans fly out the window pretty quickly with most of us, especially if we've bought stuff in large quantity on sale and tire of it. It's amazing how quickly it can get rotated down to the bowels of a chest freezer.

My dad had stuff in the bottom of his that was most likely bought when Carter was in office.

Vinca  (1000+ posts)      Fri May-08-09 08:02 AM
Response to Reply #5

8. I'm happy you mentioned Sears because the little one we found online is a Sears Kenmore. It's only 7.2 cu. ft. to fit into a small back hallway and runs about $250.

The only drawback I can see is that it isn't self-defrosting.

I did find a Frigidaire that self-defrosts, but the reviews were so bad I wouldn't take it if you gave it to me. One guy said he was going to use it as a $400 storage chest since it wouldn't get cold and Frigidaire service was nonexistent.

HappyCynic  (10 posts)      Fri May-08-09 01:28 AM

7. Storage

A non-food related item to consider is also what will go around and on top of it. My family used to have a massive top door freezer. The good point was that it didn't block the path when you needed it open. However, we occasionally put stuff on top of it so all that would need to be cleared off the top to open the sucker. Neither concern (blocking the path/storing stuff on top) was major but it is something to think about.

Grandma's pal:

sazemisery  (1000+ posts)        Fri May-08-09 01:38 PM

9. I have 2 small chest freezers

Both purchased at Sears. One is a 9 cubic ft capacity and has a drawer on the bottom front. It holds a ton of food. The front drawer is good for ice cream and frozen foods but does not stay at exact zero. The inside does and has a flash freeze button. I don't use the flash freeze button often because I forget to turn it off.

The other is an 11 cubic ft capacity. It is rectangle and deeper because it doesn't have the front drawer. I has two baskets that hang from the top lip. I purchased a bunch of small plastic baskets that look like miniature laundry baskets (4 X 6 inches 3 inches deep). I separate all my goodies into them and stack them in the freezer. It makes it easier to move things around.

The thing I like about a chest style over an upright is the temperature. Every chest freezer I have ever owned has always maintained a lower temp then the uprights in my past.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: primitives discuss freezers
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 12:34:22 PM »
Self-defrosting freezers cause problems with food. It has to warm up enough to melt the frost and hence, affects the foodstuffs which are stored within. The more efficient freezers are the ones that require defrosting every so often. Chest type freezers ARE more efficient.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson