Author Topic: Another reason american biz flounders  (Read 9190 times)

Offline john c calhoun

Another reason american biz flounders
« on: May 20, 2008, 12:47:17 PM »
http://www.247wallst.com/2008/05/ceos-who-dont-g.html

do CEO's really 'run' the company ??

apparantly not Sears, Starbucks & MANY american companies who haven't seen their CEO's in  their retail stores in quite awhile...

so hats off to Commie Mart, since sam waltons ethics are FORGED INTO LAW at walmart, their current CEO's are FORCED to investigate store fronts routinely....

obviously, he's never been to the one in rutland :lmao: (cause its a shithole)

I'm actually surprised no 'big boxes' are doing THE OPPOSITE ....

everything has gotten bigger these past 10 years, so why not start 'mini boxes' that only carry their regions/locations most profitable & demanded products & SURROUND walmart w/ the very same triangular seek n destroy formula they've used ...

hell,  I can name 3 towns in my area that desperatly need a 'mini walmart' & they would be VERY successful ...and w/ soaring  gas prices, those locals do not want to drive 30 -80 miles roundtrip just to go get 'walmart/big grocery store/home depot' kinda stuff....

and these 3 towns will NEVER in my lifetime get a walmart at the current size they operate now....

and since walmart doesn't offer a 'mini varity', why the f**k doesn't Sears/KMart/Target or Publix start offering them , while also getting away from the high priced & competitive shopping malls??

anyone got a few billion dollars?...cause I got a great idea !!

my state has prolly around 5-6 walmarts .....yet, 25-30 'mini marts' are actually needed & would  cornhole at least 3 of those walmarts into closing down....

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Re: Another reason american biz flounders
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 08:55:14 AM »
If you believe that " 'mini boxes' that only carry their regions/locations most profitable & demanded products" will work, then go for it.  You can either put together a business plan and convince the bank to front you a loan or convince people to invest, or you can't.  Report back and let us know how it went.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 09:01:09 AM »
If you believe that " 'mini boxes' that only carry their regions/locations most profitable & demanded products" will work, then go for it.  You can either put together a business plan and convince the bank to front you a loan or convince people to invest, or you can't.  Report back and let us know how it went.

jcc hates big business, since he owns a small one and, near as I can tell, can't run it well enough to make a profit.  So, even though he says he is a capitalist, he is really a liberal that hates everyone who is doing better than him and really hates the open market that decides things like executive salaries (since his childhood dreams of being one met up with his lack of intelligence with predictable results) -- in oter words a liberal.

Just treat him like your crazy uncle ralph and all will be well.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 01:10:34 PM »
jcc hates big business, since he owns a small one and, near as I can tell, can't run it well enough to make a profit.  So, even though he says he is a capitalist, he is really a liberal that hates everyone who is doing better than him and really hates the open market that decides things like executive salaries (since his childhood dreams of being one met up with his lack of intelligence with predictable results) -- in oter words a liberal.

I've heard his views on economics since he joined CU.  Here's his chance (again) to put his money and lifeblood where his mouth is.  I expect this to turn out the same as all the other great ideas he's come up with over the years.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 01:14:00 PM »

apparently you have never been to a  Walgreens or an ACE Hardware store ??

I will run circles around you when it comes to tangible/retail business...   

I'm sure glad henry ford & sam walton didn't listen to idiots like you when it comes to dreams/biz....

& we don't have an open market ....if we did, your ass might have to work a bit more...

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 01:19:03 PM »

I've heard his views on economics since he joined CU.  Here's his chance (again) to put his money and lifeblood where his mouth is.  I expect this to turn out the same as all the other great ideas he's come up with over the years.

ah, I wasn't serious about asking any of you assclowns for finance or biz partnerships...

and yeah, conveniently banks read 'closed for business' these days, so sure, we can expect to be stuck w/ our SOVIET STYLE big box outlets sucking our economy dry & shipping the earnings overseas....

henry fords model was to hire american, build in america, pay them well & then they can afford to BUY HIS PRODUCTS  REGULARLY  & keep our system going....

worked pretty well eh

far as I can see, the current pinkos running things are taking us the wrong direction w/ outsourcing , one stop shopping & trickled down everything, unless of course you can show us where retail sales, salaries, disposble incomes, savings accounts are all going up 8 years into GWB's country ?? ....

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 03:38:33 PM »
I have no doubt that someone will come along one day and build a better mousetrap than WalMart.  But to put yourself on par as having anything in common with Walton or Ford is laughable.  But don't let that stop you.

And you need to make up your mind.  Either Sam Walton gave us "one stop shopping & trickled down everything," or you believe something other than the truth about how his company became a success.  He had an idea of selling to small-town America by cutting out the middleman and buying directly from the manufacturer or getting them to place the items in his store on consignment and working off volume of sales.  You want to try that on a smaller scale, go for it.  I'm the one here encouraging you to do it and to report back.  This I gotta hear.

But no, I'd never partner with you in any business ventue.  I have this little habit of making money and don't see any reason to wanna slam on the brakes anytime soon.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 03:52:40 PM by USA4ME »

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 05:16:36 PM »
I just got back from Walmart. I spent $93.79. :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 12:40:00 PM »
I just got back from Walmart. I spent $93.79. :-)

Good.

This topic doesn't belong in the economic forum.  It belongs in the "I believe I have a great business idea but rather than exert the effort to try and make it happen I'm going to make excuses rationalizing why I can't and instead use the time to complain about things I don't like" forum.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 12:57:26 PM by USA4ME »

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2008, 04:44:26 AM »

I don't get why a business person like JCC would sound so anti-profit.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2008, 12:26:38 PM »

apparently you have never been to a  Walgreens or an ACE Hardware store ??

I will run circles around you when it comes to tangible/retail business...   

I'm sure glad henry ford & sam walton didn't listen to idiots like you when it comes to dreams/biz....

& we don't have an open market ....if we did, your ass might have to work a bit more...

hehehe sure you will.  The only thing smaller than your knowledge of economics and markets is your knowledge of monetary theory and commodities -- which is pretty small. And I probably work twice as much as you.  Which is why I make 3 times as much.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 11:43:35 PM »
I have no doubt that someone will come along one day and build a better mousetrap than WalMart.  But to put yourself on par as having anything in common with Walton or Ford is laughable.  But don't let that stop you.

And you need to make up your mind.  Either Sam Walton gave us "one stop shopping & trickled down everything," or you believe something other than the truth about how his company became a success.  He had an idea of selling to small-town America by cutting out the middleman and buying directly from the manufacturer or getting them to place the items in his store on consignment and working off volume of sales.  You want to try that on a smaller scale, go for it.  I'm the one here encouraging you to do it and to report back.  This I gotta hear.

But no, I'd never partner with you in any business ventue.  I have this little habit of making money and don't see any reason to wanna slam on the brakes anytime soon.

Sam Walton's idea was AWESOME, at first. Since Sam has passed, WalMart has continually gone downhill. Instead of using American made sources, as Sam had done, his successors have run overseas for the CHEAPEST goods they can find. Of course, many of the other stores have done the same, SEARS included. Stand by for a HUGE Sears "management" rant... (or should I say...... Lack OF management!!) I will probably publish it on Friday, after I terminate my working relationship with Sears. By the way, Sears is owned by KMart, in case y'all weren't aware. Can we say "Rosie O'Donnell" ??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2008, 10:43:53 AM »
Sam Walton's idea was AWESOME, at first. Since Sam has passed, WalMart has continually gone downhill. Instead of using American made sources, as Sam had done, his successors have run overseas for the CHEAPEST goods they can find. Of course, many of the other stores have done the same, SEARS included. Stand by for a HUGE Sears "management" rant... (or should I say...... Lack OF management!!) I will probably publish it on Friday, after I terminate my working relationship with Sears. By the way, Sears is owned by KMart, in case y'all weren't aware. Can we say "Rosie O'Donnell" ??

It's up to the consumer to decide whether they want to buy what WalMart has to offer, so whether or not it has gone uphill or downhill is a personal opinion.

OTOH, I agree with the "management" statement.  That WalMart had a good idea is beyond dispute.  And as long as they were opening new stores and expanding their market, they were going to make money.  The question has always been once they saturated the market, could they manage what they created.  That has yet to play out.

Offline Jim

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 06:58:24 PM »
the model of a small box has been tried and the big box won.

that being said, will gas prices hurt them bigs ?  I kind of doubt it.  they do not rely on folks in the sticks even though they get a fair amount of their business.  fact is those folks need those power prices and will have to figure out how they can afford living out there.  walmart and home depot are not the ONLY things they have to venture back to civilization for.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 01:40:35 PM »

that being said, will gas prices hurt them bigs ?  I kind of doubt it.  they do not rely on folks in the sticks even though they get a fair amount of their business.  fact is those folks need those power prices and will have to figure out how they can afford living out there.  walmart and home depot are not the ONLY things they have to venture back to civilization for.

the big boxes won at $2 per gallon & pre internet days.....lets see what happens at $4.50 per gallon & rural people & people disgusted  w/ walmart living do from here on out...

if the banks actually start lending again, I forsee 'small boxes' surrounding the big boys & doing exactly what walmart did at one time (filling the voids left by the established department stores, who ignored rural /small/suburban  areas) ...

walmart didn't make its splash in big cities.....it got its feet set in rural areas & suburbs...

I forsee the same trend again someday, but this time it will be smaller, more niche/effecient locations w/ much smaller overhead ... even in downtowns in big cities

imagine home depot & walmarts heating/AC bills ? :o

hey, and imagine if the 'small boxes' actually had customer service ?? ....something TOTALLY NON EXISTANT at walmarts & most home despots...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 01:45:38 PM by john c calhoun »

Offline Jim

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 02:22:33 PM »

the big boxes won at $2 per gallon & pre internet days.....

if the banks actually start lending again, I forsee 'small boxes' surrounding the big boys & doing exactly what walmart did at one time (filling the voids left by the established department stores, who ignored rural /small areas) ...

walmart didn't make its splash in big cities.....it got its feet set in rural areas

I forsee the same trend again someday, but this time it will be smaller, more niche/effecient locations w/ much smaller overhead ...

hey, and imagine if the 'small boxes' actually had customer service ?? ....something TOTALLY NON EXISTANT at walmarts & most home despots...

We HAVE small boxes already.  Ace Hardware per your example.  And they like to emphasize their customer service.

Walmart made its mark with one stop shopping.  Home Depot with a smaller variation on that (lumberyard + hardware + appliances + brickyard + plants + etc).  These were and are important components for the rural customer.  By having that buying power the effects of overhead are minimized.  Going backwards makes no sense.  You lose convenience, lose buying power. 

My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 03:12:47 PM »

There is an American success story in there somewhere.Kmart comes out of banckruptcy and buys out one of America's largest retailers. Course the recent history(last couple of Decades) of Sears has been to do the wrong thing at the wrong time. Such as to cut back on costs they sell off the money makers in the corporation.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 03:14:45 PM by Zeus »
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 03:31:58 PM »

if the banks actually start lending again, I forsee 'small boxes' surrounding the big boys & doing exactly what walmart did at one time (filling the voids left by the established department stores, who ignored rural /small areas) ...

walmart didn't make its splash in big cities.....it got its feet set in rural areas

I forsee the same trend again someday, but this time it will be smaller, more niche/effecient locations w/ much smaller overhead ...

We HAVE small boxes already.  Ace Hardware per your example.  And they like to emphasize their customer service.

Walmart made its mark with one stop shopping.  Home Depot with a smaller variation on that (lumberyard + hardware + appliances + brickyard + plants + etc).  These were and are important components for the rural customer.  By having that buying power the effects of overhead are minimized.  Going backwards makes no sense.  You lose convenience, lose buying power. 

buying power is still there w/ small boxes who garner equal marketshare but HIGHER PROFITABILTY because alot of them will be in lower taxed areas...but 3x as many locations...

checked home depots lumber yards lately ??? ...I wouldn't use that shit on a dog house, let alone my own house

but haredware/home decore is more of a niche than walmarts current model & I'm suggesting that 'small boxes' pattern walmart/target/publix & ACE hardware ....

everyday goods, for everday people ...locally owned, operated & in your backyard ...(but behind it, the SAME BUYING POWER as the big boys) ...

alot of  americans will PAY MORE for goods if they have service.... walmart & home despot have totally ignored that element & therefore they are NOT impervious to defeat &/or competition....

customer service will provide higher wages & a better image in many areas too....therefore more support from the consumers...

what me & MANY consumers see & feel in  most walmarts is a feeling of 'neglect' and arrogance from walmarts part...  they disrespect me with their tactics, shit products & their pisspoor customer service...

I actually would love to just yank my pants down & take a DUMP  in their entrance door to really set the tone for the upcoming shopping experience...

americans deserve ALOT better than walmart & I'm confident, if given the opportunity, a group that REALLY GETS the AMERICAN EXPERIENCE will shut walmarts commie system down & restore americas  retail greatness
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 03:37:21 PM by john c calhoun »

Offline Jim

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 04:07:23 PM »

buying power is still there w/ small boxes who garner equal marketshare but HIGHER PROFITABILTY because alot of them will be in lower taxed areas...but 3x as many locations...

checked home depots lumber yards lately ??? ...I wouldn't use that shit on a dog house, let alone my own house

but haredware/home decore is more of a niche than walmarts current model & I'm suggesting that 'small boxes' pattern walmart/target/publix & ACE hardware ....

everyday goods, for everday people ...locally owned, operated & in your backyard ...(but behind it, the SAME BUYING POWER as the big boys) ...

alot of  americans will PAY MORE for goods if they have service.... walmart & home despot have totally ignored that element & therefore they are NOT impervious to defeat &/or competition....

customer service will provide higher wages & a better image in many areas too....therefore more support from the consumers...

what me & MANY consumers see & feel in  most walmarts is a feeling of 'neglect' and arrogance from walmarts part...  they disrespect me with their tactics, shit products & their pisspoor customer service...

I actually would love to just yank my pants down & take a DUMP  in their entrance door to really set the tone for the upcoming shopping experience...

americans deserve ALOT better than walmart & I'm confident, if given the opportunity, a group that REALLY GETS the AMERICAN EXPERIENCE will shut walmarts commie system down & restore americas  retail greatness

lower taxed areas ?   drop in the bucket relative to the brick and mortar costs.

besides, whats the benefit of a stripmall of boutique subdivided big boxes as opposed to one all-in-one store ?  you write three checks instead of one and two extra trips to the car to drop off.

besides, who goes to walmart expecting service ?   I go there knowing what I want and what I'm willing to pay.

you gotta talk to your Home Depot (actually I prefer Lowes go #48 !), our wood is no different than lumber yards stuff.

Offline rich_t

• TANSTAAFL
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 11:18:33 PM »

I do NOT know JCC but I do know the type.

They aren't anti-profit as long as it is them making it.

They are only anti-profit when somebody else is doing it better and making more profit.
"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." --Norman Thomas, 1944

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2008, 11:04:29 AM »

I do NOT know JCC but I do know the type.

They aren't anti-profit as long as it is them making it.

They are only anti-profit when somebody else is doing it better and making more profit.

keep your day job then slick, cause reading JCC ain't gonna make you jackshit... :lmao:

I gave up the arrogant tycoon approach 7 years ago when my son was born & had pretty seriously complications thereafter...

our greatest founders conserved & left business for others to enjoy....this creates a better country & leaves no breeding ground for liberals & shark oil salesmen to conn the disenfranchised into more government/taxes & bullshit...

obviously, you cannot see that is exactly how the biggest corps' in our country have gotten what they've gotten, not through pure capitalism...

walmart is a disgrace & prolly the most unamerican  major corporation I can think of...

so yeah, I'm anti profit it means having walmarts unethical tactics, worthless, unhealthy inventories & partnership w/  CHINESE COMMUNIST SLAVERS....

you obviously don't consider longterm ramifications on american way of life , capitalism, politics & cause/effect when it comes to making money....

Offline Chris_

« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2008, 11:29:21 AM »
cause reading JCC ain't gonna make you jackshit...

.....The only comment in all that drivel that makes any sense.........

doc

Offline Zeus

« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2008, 12:18:39 PM »
Most the criticism of Walmart is pure unadulterated jealousy & BS. In the small town I live in (approx. pop 35K) when a super walmart came to town only 3 businesses closed. 1 ( a small family owned grocery)was in process of closing due to retirement anyway, 1(Small privately held drugstore) sold out & closed about a yr later due to retirement. A WinnDixie grocery store closed up shop because they couldn't compete against a new HEB superstore ans then the new walmart. In the decade or so since the new walmart was built approximately 100 new businesses have opened including a super walgreens that gave proximity to a super walmart as a reason to build here.

The smart bussiness operaters don't cry & whine about walmart they take advantage of the traffic a walmart center generates. Think about it if Walmart is a Bussiness killer how does a small burg like the one I live in support a Super Walmart, A Super Heb & a Super Walgreens. In cidently those three stores are located within 2 miles of each other.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 12:20:25 PM by Zeus »
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline john c calhoun

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2008, 01:04:21 PM »
Most the criticism of Walmart is pure unadulterated jealousy & BS. In the small town I live in (approx. pop 35K) when a super walmart came to town only 3 businesses closed. 1 ( a small family owned grocery)was in process of closing due to retirement anyway, 1(Small privately held drugstore) sold out & closed about a yr later due to retirement. A WinnDixie grocery store closed up shop because they couldn't compete against a new HEB superstore ans then the new walmart. In the decade or so since the new walmart was built approximately 100 new businesses have opened including a super walgreens that gave proximity to a super walmart as a reason to build here.

The smart bussiness operaters don't cry & whine about walmart they take advantage of the traffic a walmart center generates. Think about it if Walmart is a Bussiness killer how does a small burg like the one I live in support a Super Walmart, A Super Heb & a Super Walgreens. In cidently those three stores are located within 2 miles of each other.

telling a decent christian they are jealous of  the likes of walmart is aa LAUGH zeus.... ....

I'm as jealous of walmart is as jesus was of the pharisees & the money changers in the temple....

I'm a capitalist, therefore I don't want special treatment from the government  ....like walmart gets

I'm an american, therefore I don't want Chi Com enemies taking americans economy away, in return selling us poisonous garbage while they're bankrupting US domestics & therefore our MIDDLE CLASS....

I'm a christian, therefore I do not wish to profit from or support a brutal communist regime that use slaves & has ZERO for standards in any regards  ....

Offline Zeus

« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2008, 11:36:17 PM »
John just because you trend to talk out of your ass 98% of the time doesn't make it Gospel