Author Topic: The Lazy Man's No-Knead Bread  (Read 16162 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
The Lazy Man's No-Knead Bread
« on: April 20, 2008, 01:30:43 PM »
Originally published by Mark Bittman in the New York Times
Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery
Time: About 1½ hours plus 14 to 20 hours rising

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting
¼ teaspoon instant yeast
1¼ teaspoons salt (note: I use a heaping two teaspoons of salt)
Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 1/2 cups water and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees (note: 500 degrees works even better). Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

http://theunemployedcook.blogspot.com/2006/11/best-bread-ive-ever-made.html
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

Re: The Lazy Man's No-Knead Bread
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 12:53:47 PM »
I am finally (!) getting around to making this.  I'm using Kenji Lopez's recipe.

It looks promising so far... at least my dough has risen, which is better than most of my baking attempts have gone.  It's in the refrigerator right now.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 12:56:56 PM by Chris_ »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2013, 10:12:50 PM »
I think I left my dough in the refrigerator too long and killed it.  It's not proofing. :(

I'm heating up the oven now and will bake the loaf I made.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 10:50:22 PM by Chris_ »

Offline Chris_

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2013, 10:47:41 PM »
Now things are looking up.... I'll have some real bread here in a few minutes.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2013, 10:49:21 PM »
Yes!  Success!  :yahoo:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2013, 11:45:22 PM »
Mmmm... fresh buttered bread.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2013, 02:08:55 AM »
My sister gave me a no-knead bread cookbook for Christmas a couple of years ago. I put it away and  forgot about it until I saw this  post.  I have a bread machine but only use it for pizza dough. Maybe I'll try some new recipes this weekend.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2013, 06:45:55 AM »
I do this all the time. The key is to cover it with plastic wrap and let it rise in a warm place for a long time. I mix in the afternoon and let it sit overnight by the wood stove and bake it the next day. Never put it in the fridge?
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2013, 09:53:37 AM »
This guy said to put it in the refrigerator after letting it rise for 24 hours.

I'm off to buy a bread loaf pan since I don't own one.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2013, 11:22:55 AM »
It won't work if you don't bake it in a covered dutch oven at 500. I sprinkle it with wheat germ just to make me think I'm eating something good for me.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2013, 06:56:57 PM »
Oh.  Well, good thing I saw your comment before I bought one.  I wonder if Lodge sells something like this.  I made a double batch of dough today and will bake it tomorrow evening.  It came out better than last time.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2013, 05:28:01 PM »
I made a batch using an open loaf pan and a second using a Dutch oven.  The bread from the loaf pan is denser and heavier.  I think I prefer it cooked in the Dutch oven even though you wind up with a formless blob instead of something that looks like a loaf of bread.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2013, 07:13:00 PM »
I made a batch using an open loaf pan and a second using a Dutch oven.  The bread from the loaf pan is denser and heavier.  I think I prefer it cooked in the Dutch oven even though you wind up with a formless blob instead of something that looks like a loaf of bread.
Its to eat all in the same sitting. I plan it around soup or chili and we rarely have any left over bread!

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2013, 07:55:30 PM »
I was lazy this weekend so I didn't make it.  I will soon.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2013, 07:27:12 PM »
I was lazy this weekend so I didn't make it.  I will soon.
I posted this in 2008... that's how lazy I am. :rotf:

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2013, 07:33:05 PM »

:rotf:

I didn't realize it was an old thread.  Now I don't feel bad.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2013, 09:33:30 PM »

Wow.  H5.  I bow to your incredible powers of laziness.  :bow: :bow:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2013, 09:36:15 PM »
Wow.  H5.  I bow to your incredible powers of laziness.  :bow: :bow:
I lived alone from 2001 until the middle of 2012. 

I'm not proud of the fact, but solitude can be a negative influence.  I need people around for motivation.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2013, 05:39:09 PM »
I increased the amount of yeast from 1/2 tsp. to 3/4 and brushed the top of the loaf with olive oil before baking.

Delicious.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2013, 05:41:07 PM »
I increased the amount of yeast from 1/2 tsp. to 3/4 and brushed the top of the loaf with olive oil before baking.

Delicious.

That sounds good.  Can I come over and rent out a cupboard to live in for a week, and you cook? 

Offline Chris_

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2013, 05:42:07 PM »
As long as you bring your MG and a trunk full of tools.