Author Topic: SEIU Starting "Third Party" In NC  (Read 3278 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
SEIU Starting "Third Party" In NC
« on: April 09, 2010, 04:16:04 PM »
http://theplumline.whorunsgov.com/political-media/its-war-seiu-starting-third-party-in-north-carolina/

In a shot across the bow of Dems, the labor powerhouse SEIU is starting a new third party in North Carolina that hopes to field its own slate of candidates, part of an effort to make the Democratic Party more reliable on issues important to labor, I’m told.

SEIU officials setting up the new party, called North Carolina First, are currently on the ground collecting signatures to qualify as a state party, SEIU officials tell me, adding that there are around 100 canvassers on the ground right now. The goal: To have the party up and running so candidates can run in this fall’s elections.

It won’t be lost on political observers that three House Dems who voted No on reform are from the state: Heath Shuler, Mike McIntyre, and Larry Kissell.

The new project is an outgrowth of SEIU’s earlier vow to hold House Dems accountable for voting against heatlh reform and against labor’s interests in general. That said, presuming the party qualifies at all, it remains to be seen how much clout it will wield.

For instance, it’s unclear which districts the party might field a candidate in, and what the criteria for picking those districts will be. A lot of these things will be determined by availability of candidates and other local political concerns.

It’s also unclear what kind of cash SEIU national will put into this effort — which will also include SEANC, the state employees’ union — and what this will do to relations between labor and the national Dem establishment. But this challenge appears to be a serious experiment in reshaping the landscape of Democratic politics, and it bears watching.

I love it  when they eat their own.........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: SEIU Starting "Third Party" In NC
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 04:35:25 PM »
A cautionary tale for those who would do the same to the GOP.

I don't want the Tea Party fielding candidates outside the GOP I want them to have a bloc that creates a gravity that pulls candidates towards principled constitutional constraints.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Chris_

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 04:46:17 PM »

I don't want the Tea Party fielding candidates outside the GOP I want them to have a bloc that creates a gravity that pulls candidates towards principled constitutional constraints.

Based on everything that I've heard from our TEA party group here in KC.....that is their intent.......they have no desire to form a "third party" as they are well aware of the pitfalls of that.........many still remember Ross Perot......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline daveman

• Please excuse my
  • Revolution we can believe in!
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 07:09:19 PM »
"North Carolina First -- Vote For Us, Or Else!"

"Vote North Carolina First -- If You Want To Keep Your Kneecaps!"

"North Carolina First -- An Offer You Can't Refuse!"
This space for rent.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2010, 08:20:56 PM »
What a great idea SEIU, you should do this in all states!

Offline Chris_

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2010, 10:19:30 PM »
Based on everything that I've heard from our TEA party group here in KC.....that is their intent.......they have no desire to form a "third party" as they are well aware of the pitfalls of that.........many still remember Ross Perot......

doc

Correct!

We had some d-bag in Las Vegas run for Senate under the Tea Party name.  His name is Scott Ashjian.  He's a fraud.  The Tea Party told him they want NOTHING to do with this guy.  They didn't even want him at the Showdown in Searchlight.  Not sure if he showed up or not.  If he did, he definitely wasn't allowed around the microphone.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 05:19:09 AM »
Let me get this straight.
To punish democrats, a liberal labor union is going to split the democrat vote and ensure conservatives win?
ha!

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 07:38:06 AM »
Now if we could just get rid of Walter B. Jones Jr.
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline daveman

• Please excuse my
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 07:40:45 AM »
Let me get this straight.
To punish democrats, a liberal labor union is going to split the democrat vote and ensure conservatives win?
ha!
Nobody ever said they were a smart liberal labor union. 
This space for rent.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 06:27:54 PM »

Couple of things . . .

1)  "If you don't do what we want, we'll cause you to lose!"

2)  How've you been, Dave?  Long time, no see! :hi5: :cheersmate:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 07:32:23 PM »
We had some d-bag in Las Vegas run for Senate under the Tea Party name.  His name is Scott Ashjian.  He's a fraud.  The Tea Party told him they want NOTHING to do with this guy.  They didn't even want him at the Showdown in Searchlight.  Not sure if he showed up or not.  If he did, he definitely wasn't allowed around the microphone.

I thought his check bounced or something

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2010, 02:39:26 AM »

Excellent point. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline daveman

• Please excuse my
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2010, 08:35:18 AM »
Couple of things . . .

1)  "If you don't do what we want, we'll cause you to lose!"

2)  How've you been, Dave?  Long time, no see! :hi5: :cheersmate:
Doin' good.  You?  :)
This space for rent.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2010, 08:42:59 AM »
Doin' good.  You?  :)

I'm able to stand and take nourishment (read--decently).  My daughter is turning into quite the loquacious little girl . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline daveman

• Please excuse my
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2010, 02:28:23 PM »
I'm able to stand and take nourishment (read--decently).  My daughter is turning into quite the loquacious little girl . . .
Like my dad says:  "Woke up and saw daylight."  That puts you ahead of the game. 
This space for rent.

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 06:06:36 PM »
As an ex-member of their New York union local 1199, I assure you, intelligence is not something they possess....from the delegate level and up...
But I am going to get a schweet pension when I retire from them....that's if they're not bankrupt.