Author Topic: UN's climate link to hurricanes in doubt  (Read 1774 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
UN's climate link to hurricanes in doubt
« on: February 28, 2010, 01:39:32 PM »
Research by hurricane scientists may force the UN’s climate panel to reconsider its claims that greenhouse gas emissions have caused an increase in the number of tropical storms.

The benchmark report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) said that a worldwide increase in hurricane-force storms since 1970 was probably linked to global warming.

It followed some of the most damaging storms in history such as Hurricane Katrina, which hit New Orleans and Hurricane Dennis which hit Cuba, both in 2005.

The IPCC added that humanity could expect a big increase in such storms over the 21st century unless greenhouse gas emissions were controlled.

The warning helped turn hurricanes into one of the most iconic threats of global warming, with politicians including Ed Miliband, the energy secretary, and Al Gore citing them as a growing threat to humanity.

The cover of Gore’s newest book, Our Choice, even depicts an artist's impression of a world beset by a series of huge super-hurricanes as a warning of what might happen if carbon emissions continue to rise.

However, the latest research, just published in Nature Geoscience, paints a very different picture.

It suggests that the rise in hurricane frequency since 1995 was just part of a natural cycle, and that several similar previous increases have been recorded, each followed by a decline. ...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article7044158.ece

Another piece of the edifice crumbles away.

Offline thundley4

Re: UN's climate link to hurricanes in doubt
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 01:42:11 PM »
I read some numbmut that is already to trying to cover for this.  Instead of having more storms, they will just be more severe.  :mental:

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
Re: UN's climate link to hurricanes in doubt
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2010, 02:55:03 PM »
I read some numbmut that is already to trying to cover for this.  Instead of having more storms, they will just be more severe.  :mental:

Or wait for them to say they will be fewer because of climate change.
If it's hot today it's global warming.
If it's cold today, global warming.
Lots of snow, global warming.
No snow global warming.
Too much rain, global warming.
Too little rain, global warming.
Normal temperatures, global warming.
Higher or lower than normal temps, global warming.
 :mental:
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.