Author Topic: Kansas Supreme Court Strikes Down Funeral Picketing Law  (Read 3537 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
Kansas Supreme Court Strikes Down Funeral Picketing Law
« on: March 11, 2008, 06:59:04 PM »
TOPEKA, Kan.  —  The Kansas Supreme Court effectively ended a law banning picketing at funerals, ruling Tuesday that it was unconstitutional for legislators to require a court to uphold the law before it could be enforced.

That "judicial trigger" was intended to prevent the Westboro Baptist Church from collecting damages from the state after a successful appeal of the law.

The law was passed in response to the sect's picketing of military funerals; the Rev. Fred Phelps and his followers claim U.S. combat deaths are God's punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality.

Ruling on a law before it can be enforced usurps power from the Legislature, Justice Marla J. Luckert wrote in the unanimous ruling.

"Courts do not have jurisdiction over purely hypothetical questions associated with nonexistent issues," she wrote.

The court did not address the merits of the 2007 law, which bars protesters from being within 150 feet of a funeral one hour before, during or two hours after a service ends. It also makes it unlawful to obstruct any public street or sidewalk.

The law also allows families to sue if they feel protesters defamed the dead. That single provision survives after the court's ruling.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,336934,00.html

:banghead:

Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Kansas Supreme Court Strikes Down Funeral Picketing Law
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 07:02:14 PM »
DAMMIT!  :banghead:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 07:29:49 PM »
So now they have to wait until it happens and then try to bring it before the courts??

Oy vey!
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 07:46:06 PM »
It seems like the legislators screwed up on this one by requiring the courts to approve the law.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 07:51:08 PM »
The Supreme Court is right.  It ruled the way it had to in order to be consistent with previous rulings.  You cannot put the cart before the horse. 

The court ruling made no note about the validity of the legislation.  In fact, it was smart not to do so.  The original law is good and will hold up when properly presented to the court.  The US Supreme Court has already held that reasonable protest restrictions are constitutional, so it won't be a problem.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 09:23:15 PM »
[New York City accent]Aw, gee--Mistah Phelps had to go an have a real UNFORTUNATE accident?  Damn, dat's just a shame.[/NYC accent]
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 07:53:02 AM »
[New York City accent]Aw, gee--Mistah Phelps had to go an have a real UNFORTUNATE accident?  Damn, dat's just a shame.[/NYC accent]

Maybe he could be set up with a girl from "The Emperor's Club" . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 07:59:48 AM »

Something tells me his hatred of gays comes from the fact he's a latent homosexual himself.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 08:11:07 AM »

Something tells me his hatred of gays comes from the fact he's a latent homosexual himself.
Yep! I think that too!
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 11:24:28 AM »

I was thinking that too. I read from defectors of WBC that Fred Phelps is not a religious person and he is addicted to hate. I suspect WBC is a front group for his law firm to extort people.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 03:07:35 PM »
I have a feeling that one of these days old fred is going to have made one to many trips to a funeral and something bad might happen. People are already wound up with emotions at a time like that and it's the last place anyone should be tempting fate by protesting the actions of a loved one.

In Nebraska they already hauled one of his daughters in front of the court for violation of the states flag desecration law and she  didn't think she would get hammered for it. To bad for her she was wrong.   
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 03:25:46 PM »
I have a feeling that one of these days old fred is going to have made one to many trips to a funeral and something bad might happen. People are already wound up with emotions at a time like that and it's the last place anyone should be tempting fate by protesting the actions of a loved one.

In Nebraska they already hauled one of his daughters in front of the court for violation of the states flag desecration law and she  didn't think she would get hammered for it. To bad for her she was wrong.   

I look for Phelps to be shot dead in the middle of a crowd and no one saw a thing.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 04:24:21 PM »

I look for Phelps to be shot dead in the middle of a crowd and no one saw a thing.

You mean like the "Lone gunman on the grassy knoll " kind of thing?
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 04:27:58 PM »

You mean like the "Lone gunman on the grassy knoll " kind of thing?

More like this:  http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=21971

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 08:45:13 PM »
I remember the Big Rex story. . .you've gotta be one serious jackass for you to be killed in a CROWD with no one seeing a DAMN thing.

*TKay*

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2008, 08:49:17 PM »
I remember the Big Rex story. . .you've gotta be one serious jackass for you to be killed in a CROWD with no one seeing a DAMN thing.

*TKay*

Not even his wife, who was sitting next to him.  Poor woman.  She was free at last!

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 02:47:19 PM »
I remember when that happened. If nothing else, he served as a good example about why you shouldn't go around acting like a prick. Are you hearing us Fred?
MOLON LABE