Author Topic: Kentucky Lawmaker Wants to Make Anonymous Internet Posting Illegal  (Read 6592 times)

Offline OkieJohn

• Probationary (Probie)
Re: Kentucky Lawmaker Wants to Make Anonymous Internet Posting Illegal
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2008, 03:19:34 PM »
Aw Free,

You just had to ruin it for me didn't ya? lol

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2008, 03:52:10 PM »
Aw Free,

You just had to ruin it for me didn't ya? lol

What can I say?  To know me is to love me.  Just ask Schade...
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2008, 05:18:41 PM »
Lug-nut
I have been reading your posts for a long time.  If Gator hasn't stalked you yet, I think your safe.
However TNO has been silent.  Maybe he is in his car headed your way.

There are thousands of ways to die.  It is one of the easiest things too do.

Thinking that you are so important, that someone would stop their life and come after you should be way down the list.  You imply that a stalker would be logical...or even sane.

If that is the case tell me how Randy R or Rush are still alive.  Security guards?

Conservatives always preach personal responsibility, yet when faced with the chance, just offer excuses.  IMO, it is irresponsible to make it so easy...why not just post your SSN with your name?

I believe in responsibility.  Does that make me a better conservative?

John
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2008, 05:28:18 PM »
Lug-nut
I have been reading your posts for a long time.  If Gator hasn't stalked you yet, I think your safe.

Thinking that you are so important, that someone would stop their life and come after you should be way down the list.  You imply that a stalker would be logical...or even sane.

If that is the case tell me how Randy R or Rush are still alive.  Security guards?

Conservatives always preach personal responsibility, yet when faced with the chance, just offer excuses.  IMO, it is irresponsible to make it so easy...why not just post your SSN with your name?

John

TNO decides to take care of lug-nut once and for all....

Offline Chris_

« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2008, 05:29:45 PM »
Lug-nut

John

TNO decides to take care of lug-nut once and for all....
See....I told ya cats are eeeeeeevil.   :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2008, 05:35:40 PM »

See....I told ya cats are eeeeeeevil.   :-)

Don't confuse "evil" with "overlords."

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2008, 06:15:59 PM »
Like all forms of enterprise, the owner of the message board should make the rules.  If he wants a smoke-free message board then he is free to ban smokers.  If he wants everyone to know who everyone is on the board and the people who sign up for that board on in agreement, then that is good.

Making it a law that everyone has to be identified at all times no matter where they are strikes me as being wrong.

If people don't like being on message boards where other people are anonymous, they should create their own boards and have rules that only people who use their real-life names can post.  Seeing as every time a law is passed, we lose some more of our freedoms, I don't really see a need for a law here. 

I don't think making people register and show their papers makes for a more polite society.  An emphasis on manners as a social norm might but we don't really do that in our culture anymore.  So maybe that is the root of the problem?  People are polite when they are expected to be polite.  Rudeness propagates when there are no consequences for rude behavior and polite behavior is  treated as the behavior of chumps.

Reward the behavior you want and shun those who behave in a way you do not admire and soon you will have the best of everything.  Shunting responsibility off to lawmakers only allows us to shun our own personal responsibilities in the creation of the environments we desire in our personal lives.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2008, 07:39:04 PM »
Like all forms of enterprise, the owner of the message board should make the rules.  If he wants a smoke-free message board then he is free to ban smokers.  If he wants everyone to know who everyone is on the board and the people who sign up for that board on in agreement, then that is good.

Making it a law that everyone has to be identified at all times no matter where they are strikes me as being wrong.

If people don't like being on message boards where other people are anonymous, they should create their own boards and have rules that only people who use their real-life names can post.  Seeing as every time a law is passed, we lose some more of our freedoms, I don't really see a need for a law here. 

I don't think making people register and show their papers makes for a more polite society.  An emphasis on manners as a social norm might but we don't really do that in our culture anymore.  So maybe that is the root of the problem?  People are polite when they are expected to be polite.  Rudeness propagates when there are no consequences for rude behavior and polite behavior is  treated as the behavior of chumps.

Reward the behavior you want and shun those who behave in a way you do not admire and soon you will have the best of everything.  Shunting responsibility off to lawmakers only allows us to shun our own personal responsibilities in the creation of the environments we desire in our personal lives.

I agree with that. If forums want to be generous with the ban button like DU or FR, they are also free to do it as well.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du