Author Topic: Report: Patrick Swayze Diagnosed With Pancreatic Cancer, Has Five Weeks to Live  (Read 6055 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
"Dirty Dancing" star Patrick Swayze was diagnosed in late January with pancreatic cancer that has spread to other organs and he has five weeks left to live, according to the National Enquirer.

For the past month, Patrick, 55, has been traveling to Stanford University's prestigious cancer center in Palo Alto for radical chemotherapy, but his doctors no longer are optimistic that the treatments will be successful, the Enquirer says.

FOXNews.com's calls to Swayze's reps were not immediately returned. But a "very good source" reportedly told blogger Perez Hilton that Swayze has seemed fine lately.

"Patrick has been at rehearsals for a new cheerleading movie at Century City studio frequently lately, and he definitely does not look like he has 5 more weeks of life left…i'm not sure of his medical condition(s), but if he is gravely ill, he is hiding it very well," the source wrote.

According to the Enquirer, Patrick and his wife, Lisa Niemi — who both have pilot's licenses — have been flying their private Beechcraft plane into Palo Alto's airport, minutes from the Stanford Cancer Center, where the actor reportedly has received outpatient treatment.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335210,00.html
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
NO! That's so sad. And it's a really nasty form of cancer. Godspeed and I hope his last days are comfortable.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Lord Undies

National Enquirer?  Hmmm.  We'll see. 

Offline guest

National Enquirer?   :mental:   Since when was that a reputable source? 

« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 02:27:21 PM by ACrazyConservative »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever

In the last few years it has been a lot more reliable than you realize.  You might notice it has been years since they have been sued.

Sadly, I think this very well might be true.  I'll pray for him and his family (even if resulting from unreliable sources, prayers never hurt).
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

In the last few years it has been a lot more reliable than you realize.  You might notice it has been years since they have been sued.

Sadly, I think this very well might be true.  I'll pray for him and his family (even if resulting from unreliable sources, prayers never hurt).

I have, and always will be, skeptical of supermarket tabloids, which includes the Enquirer.  I typically try to ignore them,and when I see stories like this, I automatically think:   :bs:.

If it is true, I'll keep him and the family in my prayers, but like I said, I am very skeptical right now.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RedTail

• I can has title? ^_^
  • A little bit of Anti-Hero goes a LONG way.
NO! That's so sad. And it's a really nasty form of cancer. Godspeed and I hope his last days are comfortable.

Aw man, that sucks. It's a crappy way to die. Here's hoping that his passage into that "good night" is peaceful.

*TKay*

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
That is one of the worst cancers to get.  I hope it isn't true. :bawl:
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris_

Well, just damn.  I don't have a link yet, but apparently Patrick's publicist HAS confirmed it.   :bawl:

Offline Flame

I heard that rumor earlier.  What a bummer if it's true. 

Offline mamacags

UPDATE: His rep issued this statement to TMZ, "Patrick Swayze has been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and is currently undergoing treatment. Patrick's physician Dr. George Fisher states, 'Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far. All of the reports stating the timeframe of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic.' Patrick is continuing his normal schedule during this time, which includes working on upcoming projects. The outpouring of support and concern he has already received from the public is deeply appreciated by Patrick and his family."

All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Lord Undies

UPDATE: His rep issued this statement to TMZ, "Patrick Swayze has been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer and is currently undergoing treatment. Patrick's physician Dr. George Fisher states, 'Patrick has a very limited amount of disease and he appears to be responding well to treatment thus far. All of the reports stating the timeframe of his prognosis and his physical side effects are absolutely untrue. We are considerably more optimistic.' Patrick is continuing his normal schedule during this time, which includes working on upcoming projects. The outpouring of support and concern he has already received from the public is deeply appreciated by Patrick and his family."

AKA he is a dead man walking.  You just don't survive pancreatic cancer. 

God Bless Patrick Swayze.  I pray for the best for him.   

Pancreatic cancer is often a silent killer. Most cases are asymptomatic. And the later the cancer is caught the lower the chances of survival, said Dr. Avram Cooperman, surgical director for the Pancreas and Biliary Center at St. Vincent’s Hospital in Manhattan.

People ages 50 to 70 are most at risk for developing the disease. Cooperman said smokers, heavy drinkers of alcohol and, in some cases, people with a genetic predisposition are most at risk for pancreatic cancer. Besides eating right and abstaining from smoking and heavy drinking, there's very little that can be done to prevent the disease.

"There's no real screening test for it," Cooperman said. "There are markers that are being developed and there are studies that are ongoing, but it's not like lung cancer where you can take an X-ray of a person's lungs. There are tests, but they prevent radiation risks and there are MRIs, which are expensive."

Caught in its advanced stages, pancreatic cancer, which affects about 30,000 people a year, has a 5 percent survival rate for five years. Caught early enough and treated with surgery and chemotherapy, the five-year survival rate goes up to 17 to 25 percent, Cooperman said.

"We surely wish anyone with this disease the best," Cooperman said. "But overall survival isn't good. Many never even make it to the hospital. Some have minor symptoms and, if treated with surgery and chemotherapy, the survival rates get better."

More on the signs and symptoms of pancreatic cancer:

What is pancreatic cancer?

Pancreatic cancer is the formation of malignant cancer cells and tumors in the tissues of the pancreas.

What are the symptoms?

Pancreatic cancer has very few early symptoms and, in some cases, may present no symptoms at all or symptoms that may be confused for other ailments. However, some symptoms include yellowing of skin and eyes (jaundice), pain in the upper/middle abdomen and back and unexplained weight loss and fatigue. Sudden onset of diabetes may also be a symptom.

Who’s at risk?

Smoking and family history of the disease increase an individual's chances of getting the disease. Other risk factors include chronic pancreatitis and diabetes.

What are the treatment options?

Surgery to remove the malignant tumor is the best treatment. However, if the cancer has spread to other areas of the body such as the lymph nodes, radiation therapy, chemotherapy or a combination of these treatments may be necessary.

Ways to prevent it?

Don’t smoke/quit  smoking. People at high risk for the disease may benefit from periodic screenings such as chest X-rays, annual physicals, CT/PET scans and MRI.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335379,00.html

Offline Chris_

Even so, the odds still aren't good.  Pancreatic cancer is one of the worst, if not the worst, cancers you can get.

Offline Chris_

Dang.  :(

Godspeed, Mr. Swayze.

Offline Lord Undies

Even so, the odds still aren't good.  Pancreatic cancer is one of the worst, if not the worst, cancers you can get.

I can tell you read my post.   :innocent:

Offline Chris_

:whatever:

Offline Lord Undies

And what does that mean?  You guilty of something?   :uhsure:

Offline Chris_

Okay, okay, I'm guilty of not reading all the posts in this thread.  :thatsright: :lmao:

Offline Lord Undies

Okay, okay, I'm guilty of not reading all the posts in this thread.  :thatsright: :lmao:

Uh-Huh.  Caught like a carp on a bent safety pin. 

All is forgiven. 

Offline mamacags

CLEARS THROAT LOUDLY FOR LORD UNDIES SINCE HE IS SO SMUG RIGHT NOW!!!!!

Notice post # on there. :-) :tongue:
Winston Churchill

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant

:rotf:  pw3nage
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Lord Undies

My post complimented your rather limited imput.  You're welcome.

Offline mamacags

Compliment this beyotch! :moon:

:blowkiss:
Winston Churchill

Offline Lord Undies

Compliment this beyotch! :moon:

:blowkiss:

:-*  = you

(!)  = my butt

:tongue:

Offline morningAngel

there is nothing in life that chocolate, beer and watching Dirty Dancing with your best friend cannot cure...