Author Topic: Hawaii Ending Universal Child Health Care After 7 Mos.  (Read 2509 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Hawaii Ending Universal Child Health Care After 7 Mos.
« on: October 17, 2008, 07:59:14 AM »

HONOLULU —  Hawaii is dropping the only state universal child health care program in the country just seven months after it launched.

Gov. Linda Lingle's administration cited budget shortfalls and other available health care options for eliminating funding for the program. A state official said families were dropping private coverage so their children would be eligible for the subsidized plan.

"People who were already able to afford health care began to stop paying for it so they could get it for free," said Dr. Kenny Fink, the administrator for Med-QUEST at the Department of Human Services. "I don't believe that was the intent of the program."

State officials said Thursday they will stop giving health coverage to the 2,000 children enrolled by Nov. 1, but private partner Hawaii Medical Service Association will pay to extend their coverage through the end of the year without government support.

"We're very disappointed in the state's decision, and it came as a complete surprise to us," said Jennifer Diesman, a spokeswoman for HMSA, the state's largest health care provider. "We believe the program is working, and given Hawaii's economic uncertainty, we don't think now is the time to cut all funding for this kind of program."

MORE

Hmm, always seems to be the ones who make money off the gubmint programs that are the most upset.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Note to Obama: Pay for it and They will Come
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 09:37:15 AM »
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081017/ap_on_re_us/child_health_hawaii

Hawaii is dropping the only state universal child health care program in the country just seven months after it launched.

Gov. Linda Lingle’s administration cited budget shortfalls and other available health care options for eliminating funding for the program. A state official said families were dropping private coverage so their children would be eligible for the subsidized plan.

With Sherlockian deduciability we read:

“People who were already able to afford health care began to stop paying for it so they could get it for free,” said Dr. Kenny Fink, the administrator for Med-QUEST at the Department of Human Services. “I don’t believe that was the intent of the program.”

orly?
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 09:47:14 AM »
this is a dup, but no one could tell because virtually no one ever uses the original headline of the news article in their thread title. 

hint.  hint.  hint.  these forum guidelines are there for a reason, gang.

Edit: Fixing it so that your post shows up as the new headlines.  :tongue: - DJones520
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 09:55:19 AM by djones520 »

Offline Jim

Re: Hawaii Ending Universal Child Health Care After 7 Mos.
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 07:43:39 PM »
FOLKS  THIS IS BIG BIG BIG !

This is exactly what has been predicted of BarryCare happening in real life.  And if you think its unique its not as MASS is in much the same boat only they are trying to tax more to keep it alive.

The only difference is that Hawaii can't just tax more to keep it going but Barry will.

China is only going to pick up the tab for our healthcare for so long.

Please please please keep this one alive, tell your talk radio guys (I heard this one driving home) your barber, your uncle Ned, anyone !

My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 07:49:53 PM »
FOLKS  THIS IS BIG BIG BIG !

This is exactly what has been predicted of BarryCare happening in real life.  And if you think its unique its not as MASS is in much the same boat only they are trying to tax more to keep it alive.

The only difference is that Hawaii can't just tax more to keep it going but Barry will.

China is only going to pick up the tab for our healthcare for so long.

Please please please keep this one alive, tell your talk radio guys (I heard this one driving home) your barber, your uncle Ned, anyone !

I agree.  I would ask a mod to sticky this thread.  I would observe, however, that the dukakis attempt to nationalize healthcare would have served as an equally good example.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 03:22:12 AM »
I agree.  I would ask a mod to sticky this thread.  I would observe, however, that the dukakis attempt to nationalize healthcare would have served as an equally good example.

Done. 

Offline CharlesD

• Just Off Probation
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2008, 08:27:44 PM »
I put this on a couple liberal boards just to  :fuelfire:
"To those who cite the First Amendment as reason for excluding God from more and more of our institutions and everyday life, may I just say: The First Amendment of the Constitution was not written to protect the people of this country from religious values; it was written to protect religious values from government tyranny."
"If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a Nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

http://www.demaristransportation.com

Offline djones520

« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2008, 11:07:00 AM »

I think this belongs more in the Ammunition forum, but it would do well to be stickied there.  I'm moving it on over.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2009, 09:02:09 PM »
"People who were already able to afford health care began to stop paying for it so they could get it for free," said Dr. Kenny Fink, the administrator for Med-QUEST at the Department of Human Services. "I don't believe that was the intent of the program."

Uh, what exactly did you think was going to happen?  Why pay for something - even if you can afford it - when someone else is handing it out for free?  ****ING HELLO, NUMBNUTS!!!

Lord, what fools these liberals be!

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 06:14:54 PM »
How ironic!
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DefiantSix

• Captain, IKV Defiant
  • "Set Condition One throughout the ship."
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 09:07:40 PM »

Apparently other people's money doesn't go as far as it used to.  Who'd have thunk it?
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus