Author Topic: With Beer Sales banned, World Cup fans Forced To Just Sit There And Watch Soccer  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Sad: With Beer Sales Outlawed, World Cup Attendees Forced To Just Sit There And Watch Soccer

DOHA, QATAR — In a move that quickly received international backlash, the World Cup host country of Qatar has banned the sale of beer in or near arenas where matches will be played. With beer sales outlawed, the World Cup's estimated 1 million attendees will be forced to just sit there and watch soccer.

FIFA organizers responded to Qatar's alcohol ban by flopping onto the ground and screaming as if gravely injured.

"What's the point of watching soccer if you can't get plastered enough to not have to watch soccer?" Asked FIFA president Gianni Infantino who, moments earlier had been writhing on the ground in mortal agony. "This is asking too much of FIFA, the teams, the 'athletes,' and all of our fans of the sport."

Long-time FIFA sponsor, Budweiser, expressed regret at not being a vital part of soccer's tradition of fans getting blindly drunk and fighting one another rather than watching an incredibly dull, tedious sport.

Qatar has already been threatened with a boycott by other sports organizations that rely wholly on beer to prevent fans from having to watch, including baseball, cricket, lacrosse, and basketball when it's the Lakers.

At publishing time, the U.S. had won the bid to host the next World Cup with its popular proposal that every match require beer and ban soccer.

BEEr banned at World Cup
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
 :rotf:

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

Yeah.  What a weird dilemma. 

A ban on beer was the last thing anybody expected.  And it came too late for creative smugglers to fashion 'vessels' to bring into the venues. (fake binocular/camera cases, etc.) 

I'll watch The Cup like I always do.   

Offline Drafe Hoblin

The lack of alcohol was barely 'a thing'.  The cameras were focused on passionate fans like they usually are during Cup-broadcasts. 

A USA defensive screw-up allowed Wales to tie the score late.  And it ended 1-1.

Iran's team should be re-designated 'People Of Iran', per the Team's statement supporting the mass-protests against their government.

The refereeing at this point: not bad.  Relatively consistent.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

The lack of alcohol was barely 'a thing'.  The cameras were focused on passionate fans like they usually are during Cup-broadcasts. 

A USA defensive screw-up allowed Wales to tie the score late.  And it ended 1-1.

Iran's team should be re-designated 'People Of Iran', per the Team's statement supporting the mass-protests against their government.

The refereeing at this point: not bad.  Relatively consistent.

Admittedly am not a fan of soccer/futbol but I understand the sport.

Since the U.S. is in a group with Wales, England, and Iran, that tie with Wales could be difficult to overcome. The U.S. should lose to England and destroy Iran just as England did. So to advance to the Round of 16, assuming Wales loses to England and beats Iran, the 2nd qualifier would come down to whichever squad has the best goal +/- advantage. Am I understanding that correctly?

Offline Drafe Hoblin

Admittedly am not a fan of soccer/futbol but I understand the sport.

Since the U.S. is in a group with Wales, England, and Iran, that tie with Wales could be difficult to overcome. The U.S. should lose to England and destroy Iran just as England did. So to advance to the Round of 16, assuming Wales loses to England and beats Iran, the 2nd qualifier would come down to whichever squad has the best goal +/- advantage. Am I understanding that correctly?

Yep.  You got it.

England should win the group, but there were signs of chinkiness.  Allowing scoring-situations to develop against them outside of normal game-flow.  USA and Wales didn't show signs of not-following-through on something.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

Yep.  You got it.

England should win the group, but there were signs of chinkiness.  Allowing scoring-situations to develop against them outside of normal game-flow.  USA and Wales didn't show signs of not-following-through on something.

Don't watch enough matches to fully comprehend how a teams "chinkiness" works in soccer. I can understand and recognize when a baseball/baseball/American Football team seems to be underperforming based on their talent level.

My alma mater has had an agonizing 8 consecutive Saturdays of difficult but ultimately victorious games. It hasn't done wonders for my blood pressure.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

Don't watch enough matches to fully comprehend how a teams "chinkiness" works in soccer.

Not walling-off every opposing player who penetrates the zone along either side of their net, choosing to wall-off the center instead.  Both of Iran's goals resulted from a 'lucky' kick from the corner.  (one off a penalty-kick, after a clumsy over-correction by England)  Armor-chink.

Congrats to Japan after beating my Cup-pick:  Germany. 

Offline freedumb2003b

Not walling-off every opposing player who penetrates the zone along either side of their net, choosing to wall-off the center instead.  Both of Iran's goals resulted from a 'lucky' kick from the corner.  (one off a penalty-kick, after a clumsy over-correction by England)  Armor-chink.

Congrats to Japan after beating my Cup-pick:  Germany.

I thought chinkiness was for Chinese not Japanese! ;)
Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with an ax

Hello to the Baizuo lurkers from DU, DI, JPR and Huffpo

DUmmies can no more understand the "Cave" than a rat can understand a thunderbolt, but they fear it just the same. Fear the "Cave", DUmmies. Fear it well. Big Dog 12-Jan-2015

Proud charter member of the Death Squad Hate Force! https://conservativecave.com/home/index.php?topic=112331.msg1386168#msg1386168

Ted Kennedy is the only person with an actual confirmed kill in the war on women.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

I thought chinkiness was for Chinese not Japanese! ;)

:wink: If the ancient Hindu's never called the 'Chinese Empire' Qin, other Hindu's would've never mispronounced it as 'Sin'...  but we'd probably, currently, be calling them 'Sinks'.

USA/England... sports bummer of the year.

Offline Drafe Hoblin

USA/Iran...  " Umm... "  of the year.

It was a US victory, but historians will have more questions than answers about the political ramifications of it.  Anti-government protestors in Iran are celebrating their team's loss.