Author Topic: Memorial Day ...  (Read 556 times)

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
  • Married female & proud VRWC member :)
Memorial Day ...
« on: May 29, 2022, 05:17:31 PM »
Tomorrow is Memorial Day, and FNC's "Big Sunday Show" honoring those who gave their lives for our country ...

Was making me smile through my tears when watching all the Rolling Thunder guys, coming in from all 50 states to honor them.

Please remember to pause at 3:00 pm your local time, to think about it tomorrow, if you possibly can.
Please pray for our country in these turbulent times ...
It really is the best in the world & I can't stand the thought of losing it.

Freedom, Truth, and the USA!!! 
~ American By Choice (aka ABC-2)

Offline Drafe Hoblin

Re: Memorial Day ...
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2022, 09:32:34 PM »
Thanks, ab...  I think that's the time when musically-inclined patriots are invited to play 'TAPS' outside in their neighborhoods... on any instrument they feel comfortable playing it on.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2022, 08:32:30 AM »
Thanks, ab...  I think that's the time when musically-inclined patriots are invited to play 'TAPS' outside in their neighborhoods... on any instrument they feel comfortable playing it on.

I haven't played Taps on trumpet since 1978 (active duty in my first Army band). There's a reason for that: I'm a low brass player and that tiny mouthpiece and my chops just don't get along. Special note: Christmas leave in December 1978, an active duty soldier was killed in a car accident. I volunteered to play the bugle job. Ft. Devens, Massachusetts, had been hit by the Mother of All Blizzards and the funeral was held in the post chapel rather than at graveside, which is customary.

My playing was so loud (too much air, dood!) that I had to stick the bell of the trumpet out of the chapel door.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2022, 09:22:27 AM »
I haven't played Taps on trumpet since 1978 (active duty in my first Army band). There's a reason for that: I'm a low brass player and that tiny mouthpiece and my chops just don't get along...

Always figured you for having a big mouth, my friend.  :-)
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Drafe Hoblin

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2022, 09:34:17 AM »
I haven't played Taps on trumpet since 1978 (active duty in my first Army band). There's a reason for that: I'm a low brass player and that tiny mouthpiece and my chops just don't get along. Special note: Christmas leave in December 1978, an active duty soldier was killed in a car accident. I volunteered to play the bugle job. Ft. Devens, Massachusetts, had been hit by the Mother of All Blizzards and the funeral was held in the post chapel rather than at graveside, which is customary.

My playing was so loud (too much air, dood!) that I had to stick the bell of the trumpet out of the chapel door.

Quick thinking to tone-down the overly-brassy, indoor quality of TAPS.  We're so used to it being played outside.

Thanks to both of you and your families for your Service. 

Offline ABC-2

• Drive By Poster
  • Married female & proud VRWC member :)
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 09:36:52 AM »

Ha! Ha!  You are a sweetheart Mr. E ... 

And thanks for your service! I think it's okay to also honor folks like you who *did* make it home from war!
Please pray for our country in these turbulent times ...
It really is the best in the world & I can't stand the thought of losing it.

Freedom, Truth, and the USA!!! 
~ American By Choice (aka ABC-2)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2022, 12:46:13 PM »
Always figured you for having a big mouth, my friend.  :-)

Uh.....Yup!   :lol:    :lmao:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2022, 12:54:40 PM »
Ha! Ha!  You are a sweetheart Mr. E ... 

And thanks for your service! I think it's okay to also honor folks like you who *did* make it home from war!

Let me be clear. I NEVER served in a combat zone. I did, however, serve in West Berlin - 110 miles behind the Iron Curtain - during a relatively calm time in US - Soviet relations.

(Things "evened out" a little bit in 1971 with an agreement that basically said the Soviets weren't going to harass the Western Allies any more. Remind me to tell you a couple stories about Checkpoint Bravo.)

That said, I personally witnessed the Berlin Wall coming down. And I served in a PR capacity with my linguistic ability for the 298th Army Band. My German - at the time - met all the requirements for the Department of Defense in the "fluent" category. But that was a long time ago.

All the politics that came out of the Wall's demise meant both the demise for the Western Allies in eventually leaving Berlin and the politics that occurred during Reunification programs, causes, efforts, and events.

But I never served on or in a 2-way rifle range. Came close in 1991 when I was on orders for the 3rd Armored Division but there was one problem - they were already in the sandbox (Saudi just prior to Gulf War I) and didn't want newcomers.  :lmao:

So I stayed parked in Berlin until September 1991 when all the shootin' was over and done with.