Author Topic: Note to DUmmies and whiny leftists on student debt: Pay your own fair share!  (Read 1093 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
You whiny leftists are demanding that your student loans be completely forgiven.  No one forced you to take out thousands and in many cases hundreds of thousands of loans.  While I certainly appreciate the value of a college education, the types of disciplines you've been mostly studying will almost never provide an income capable of repaying it in a timely fashion.

Perhaps you should have mixed in a few economics and basic business classes to complement your other gender equity and racial justice ones.

Don't ask those of us for help who have either paid off our student loans or never had them to begin with.  If you want any damn sympathy, you'll find none from pretty much anyone but your own ilk.  I partially blame the educational industrial complex for jacking up the cost of higher education, but you certainly didn't have to follow that worthless plan.

This is how much we care about your worthless degrees and massive debt that you didn't need to begin with:

:sosad: :sosad: :sosad: :sosad: :sosad: :sosad:
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Seems to me it would be a really tough sell to literally hundreds of millions of Americans who have either paid off their debt, never went into debt, or never went to college, to tell them they now have to pay for others student loans.

I was always told I should go to college so I could get a good job with great pay and excellent benefits.  Turns out that wasn't true at all.  I may have taken a longer path, but I have all the above with no degree.

I don't envy those with degrees, nor do I have any disdain for them.  If you wanted to get one and you did, good for you!  I hope you feel you made the right decision and it worked out well for you.

I'm honestly not envious of anyone.  I want everyone to be successful, even democrats!  When people make more money they buy the stuff my wife and I sell and that puts money in our pockets.  I've sold homes to some really staunch democrats, and later, sold their home for them because they knew I was good at what I did and we had a mutual respect for each other.  There wasn't any name calling or taunting.  There WAS some good natured ribbing that went on, but it was just that.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

Seems to me it would be a really tough sell to literally hundreds of millions of Americans who have either paid off their debt, never went into debt, or never went to college, to tell them they now have to pay for others student loans.

BTDT and didn't pick a major whose career path required fryolator or barista training.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
BTDT and didn't pick a major whose career path required fryolator or barista training.

Something else the 'woke' left has to realize is that all these "safe spaces" and "inclusivity centers or diversity centers", whatever you want to call them, cost money.

Turn me loose on just about any university and I would guarantee them I could save them money without touching anyone's salary, unless they are a staff member of something above, or anything remotely like those places.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline Ralph Wiggum

Something else the 'woke' left has to realize is that all these "safe spaces" and "inclusivity centers or diversity centers", whatever you want to call them, cost money.

Turn me loose on just about any university and I would guarantee them I could save them money without touching anyone's salary, unless they are a staff member of something above, or anything remotely like those places.

KC

Was chatting with a friend a while ago and told her that her alma mater has at least a dozen "diversity, equity, and inclusion" officers who are paid over $100k/year.  She didn't believe me and within a minute or two, showed her that the school has 14 such positions.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Was chatting with a friend a while ago and told her that her alma mater has at least a dozen "diversity, equity, and inclusion" officers who are paid over $100k/year.  She didn't believe me and within a minute or two, showed her that the school has 14 such positions.

Holy cow!  That is absolutely insane.  Yeah, until the students start calling out this type of bullshit I don't want to hear anything about the cost of student debt.  AND I mean the students.  Parents should just refuse to pay and if the kids want to go to that school, let them pay.

My son just graduated from paramedic school last June and he has 2 required class to get an associates degree.  He has zero debt.  He spent 4 years active duty Army and voila, his school was paid.  Along with some walking around money while he was attending school full time.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Ralph Wiggum

Didn't answer this directly, but am glad that the first person to respond yesterday mentioned the people who have already paid off their loans. :cheersmate:

Was trying to lead to this discussion, which would be reparations (which libs also demand).  In this case, reparations for those who have already paid everything or whatever you and your folks paid for your undergraduate degree.  This should be explained to these dunderheads who are demanding loan forgiveness.

Apparently Gutfeld covered this topic on his show last night.  Didn't watch, but planning to flip on the recording as soon as I get home.  Figure his and his panel's views might mirror mine.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Didn't answer this directly, but am glad that the first person to respond yesterday mentioned the people who have already paid off their loans. :cheersmate:

Was trying to lead to this discussion, which would be reparations (which libs also demand).  In this case, reparations for those who have already paid everything or whatever you and your folks paid for your undergraduate degree.  This should be explained to these dunderheads who are demanding loan forgiveness.

Apparently Gutfeld covered this topic on his show last night.  Didn't watch, but planning to flip on the recording as soon as I get home.  Figure his and his panel's views might mirror mine.

I didn’t watch him last night and don’t record it. If you don’t mind can you summarize what their sentiments were?

KC

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

Maybe Dems pushing this stupidity hope parents who did pay off their student loans have kids who chose and acted less wisely? :shrug: My four munchkins (including a child's spouse) financed their college without student loan debt or paid off their student loans. I'm not saying it was easy for them, but they chose and acted wisely, and all have AA, BS, or BA degrees (with one nearing adding a BA to their AA).

If Dems are working on George Bernard Shaw's "principal", "A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul," the Dems may find the population of "Pauls" less than they hope.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline Ralph Wiggum

I didn’t watch him last night and don’t record it. If you don’t mind can you summarize what their sentiments were?

KC

Try this, just the monologue and the guest commentary.  Runs about 14 minutes, well worth it.

https://youtu.be/IucHVTk92XY

Offline fatboy

• Does this gun make me look fat?
  • skinnier than the average primitive
This article below explains "capitalization" where interest accrued is added to the principal balance in many student loans. This is what happened to a federal parents plus loan we had for our daughter. We took out the loan in 2012 ($21K) and wasn't required to start payments until she was out of school which was in 2017, payments started for us (after the 9 month grace period) in April 2018. During the period from 2012 to 2018 interest was added to the principal making that the amount that was subject to monthly interest. I'm fairly certain, but not 100% sure but I think that all of our previous student loans didn't start introducing interest until the student left college.

All federal student loans went into forbearance in March 2020 but the accrued interest to that point remained and used to calculate future interest.

Here is the article:  https://www.forbes.com/sites/adamminsky/2021/12/09/student-loan-interest-agreement-reached-to-reduce-some-runaway-balance-increases/?sh=3886817c37fb

We never considered stopping our payments and actually doubled up or even more during this time. From April 2020 to Nov. 2021 we made payments adding up to $19,500.00 when we could have not sent in a dime. I read somewhere, can't remember where but the percentage of student loan borrowers that were not making any kind of payments during the soon to expire forbearance is around 90%. It is hard to understand why this high percent of borrowers wouldn't send in at least token payments that would chip away at their principal.

I read an article from 2016 which stated that 46% of student loan borrowers back then were in default. Here is an article from the heady days of 2019 before the demic that stated it in a more positive light, only half of student loan borrowers are making payments.  https://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-experian/research/student-loan-debt-and-repayment/

Our parents plus fed loan was as 7.9% APR. I'm ashamed to admit it but I didn't pay attention to the details when we took out this loan. If we had started making even small payments back in 2012 it would have made a big difference in the amount we eventually paid back. Based on starting payments after the grace period, making steady payments until the pandemic forbearance kicked in then increasing payment amounts which in forbearance, we paid this loan in full in about 3.5 years. We paid back about $33,000.00 against a $21,000.00 loan. This is painful, but even more painful when one considers that out of the 3.5 years we were paying back the loan, 1.5 years was in an interest free forbearance period.

A lot of people told me we were crazy to make any kind of payments on this loan based on the understanding that the government would forgive at least some part of all the fed loans. The law that placed the loans in forbearance also allowed the borrower that made payments to get that money back if they had some kind of financial hardship.
"We will bring back our jobs. We will bring back our borders. We will bring back our wealth - and we will bring back our dreams!" -President Donald J. Trump 1/20/17

Offline SVPete

I'm fairly certain, but not 100% sure but I think that all of our previous student loans didn't start introducing interest until the student left college.

My memory is that interest did not start accruing on my (1970s) FISL until I was out of school.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Try this, just the monologue and the guest commentary.  Runs about 14 minutes, well worth it.

https://youtu.be/IucHVTk92XY

That was pretty good, thanks.

The one thing where I part ways with a lot of opinion on higher education is, I have never thought it was the parents obligation to pay for their kids schooling.

I don’t know when that notion started but I disagree with it. If the kid wants to go to school, that is the decision of that young adult. Figure it out. I’ll help you look up programs and decide what classes you might want to consider, but money?  No, that’s not my responsibility.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Our parents plus fed loan was as 7.9% APR. I'm ashamed to admit it but I didn't pay attention to the details when we took out this loan.

I cut your entire post down to the one thing liberals and victicrats will never understand. You made a deal and you’re honoring the deal. You’re not trying to blame someone for the circumstances of the deal. Not are you looking for a scapegoat for the consequences of the deal. That is honorable and commendable!

I can tell you of many bad deals I’ve made and never once have I thought anyone should bail me out.

My entire philosophy is simple; education is expensive, whether you pay a university or learn it on the streets, you’re going to pay.

The difference between me and a liberal is I understand the cost of my education is my own.

KC

*Stolen

Offline thundley4

The one thing where I part ways with a lot of opinion on higher education is, I have never thought it was the parents obligation to pay for their kids schooling.

I don’t know when that notion started but I disagree with it. If the kid wants to go to school, that is the decision of that young adult. Figure it out. I’ll help you look up programs and decide what classes you might want to consider, but money?  No, that’s not my responsibility.

KC

I think this might have started with "do-good" judges in divorce/child-support/alimony cases.

I've known several fathers paying child support that thought they were finally free when their kid hit 18, only to find the wife taking them back to court to help pay for tuition and other college expenses.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

KC

Nor do I agree that it is the parents' obligation.  Every case and family is different.  My folks expected me to go and graduate and thankfully offered to pay.  Not all teenage high school grads are cut out for it.

Not all kids are the same, nor should we ever treat them as a collective.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
I think this might have started with "do-good" judges in divorce/child-support/alimony cases.

I've known several fathers paying child support that thought they were finally free when their kid hit 18, only to find the wife taking them back to court to help pay for tuition and other college expenses.

You may very well be right. I hadn’t thought of that.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Nor do I agree that it is the parents' obligation.  Every case and family is different.  My folks expected me to go and graduate and thankfully offered to pay.  Not all teenage high school grads are cut out for it.

Not all kids are the same, nor should we ever treat them as a collective.

One of my friends was paying for his kids college and he was upset that their performance was less than and he was paying for some classes twice. His kid had a job so I told him he should tell the kid to pay for his classes and that he could reimburse the kid for every class he passed. It sounded good to me, but he never did it.

KC

*Stolen

Offline Ralph Wiggum

One of my friends was paying for his kids college and he was upset that their performance was less than and he was paying for some classes twice. His kid had a job so I told him he should tell the kid to pay for his classes and that he could reimburse the kid for every class he passed. It sounded good to me, but he never did it.

KC

Not a bad idea, it just depends on how willing the parents decide to follow through on that threat.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

Meanwhile, the "Ringo" of the Squad puts tosses in some further stupid:

'Squad' member Rep. Pressley claims student debt is 'violence'

There's a new form of violence in Democrats' vocabulary.

Democratic Rep. Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts took to social media to push President Biden to universally cancel student debt for U.S. college students and graduates. Reporting on her own canvassing efforts, Pressley said allowing student debt to continue was a form of violence.

"Let’s make it plain: student debt is policy violence," Pressley wrote. "We’ll keep fighting to relieve families across the country, to make sure our policies & budgets reflect their lived experiences & that we build this grassroots movement to #CancelStudentDebt together."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/squad-rep-pressley-student-debt-violence

And naturally, A0C has to pander to the cause as well:

AOC says it's 'delusional' to think Democrats will get reelected without liberal priorities like student debt

Blaming Sen. Joe Manchin won't advance the party's progressive policies, the New York Democrat says

If Democrats think they're going to get reelected, they're "delusional" without progressive priorities like student debt and the child tax credit, set to lapse at the end of the year, U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez claimed in a Twitter post Friday.

The New York Democrat claimed that the party's failure to push through the policies would mean the party could likely lose its congressional majorities.

"It is actually delusional to believe Dems can get re-elected without acting on filibuster or student debt, Biden breaking his BBB promise, letting CTC lapse, 0 path to citizenship, etc," she warned.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/aoc-ocasio-cortez-delusional-democrats-midterms-liberal-progressive-priorities-student-debt

Offline SVPete

In ProgSpeak, words like "racism" and "violence" have no meaning except for "I oppose it". The good people of "Peoria" are violent racists, because ProgSpeak isn't playing there.