Interests > Games & Home Entertainment

should I teach myself how to play chess?

(1/2) > >>

fatboy:
I think of it as a character flaw that I have no idea how to play chess. Has anyone as an adult taught themselves the game and if so is it interesting enough to stay at it?

DLR Pyro:
I learned to play at the Boys Club when I was a kid.  No strategy, just the moves each piece can make and the rules of the game.

You may want to check this out as a starting point https://www.chess.com/lessons

Eupher:

--- Quote from: DLR Pyro on December 02, 2021, 10:03:55 AM ---I learned to play at the Boys Club when I was a kid.  No strategy, just the moves each piece can make and the rules of the game.

You may want to check this out as a starting point https://www.chess.com/lessons

--- End quote ---

Same here - learned as a kid, but I have no idea how to strategize, develop an attack, defend, etc. My brother was a banzai kinda player, which probably explained the wreckage he'd leave behind.  :rotf:

SSG Snuggle Bunny:
At my local library they carry "The Great Course," graduate level discussions on DVD of everything from quantum mechanics to philosophy, and comparative religion.

One of the courses is Chess, taught by Jeremy Silman.

He gets away from remembering long strings of moves and countermoves and focuses on the capabilities of each piece individually, in tandem, and the implications arising out of those capabilities.

I cannot recommend that course strongly enough.

Ralph Wiggum:

--- Quote from: Eupher on December 02, 2021, 02:13:52 PM ---Same here - learned as a kid, but I have no idea how to strategize, develop an attack, defend, etc. My brother was a banzai kinda player, which probably explained the wreckage he'd leave behind.  :rotf:

--- End quote ---

I've never learned but suspect it might interest me.  Perhaps not.  The card games I prefer to play rely on math, logic, and of course hunches occasionally based on how others tend to play.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version