Author Topic: New Report Shows Growth of the Welfare State Has Fueled Long-Term Declines in th  (Read 585 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
New Report Shows Growth of the Welfare State Has Fueled Long-Term Declines in the Labor Force
https://fee.org/articles/new-report-shows-growth-of-the-welfare-state-has-fueled-long-term-declines-in-the-labor-force/

A massive labor shortage continues to grip the nation and hold back our economic recovery. With countless pandemic and policy factors influencing the shortage, there’s a heated debate over what’s keeping so many workers out of the labor force. But a new study confirms that the growth of the welfare state is playing a massive role—and that this trend began long before the pandemic.

Published by experts on the Republican side of the Senate Joint Economic Committee, the analysis reports, “the U.S. has witnessed an unprecedented rise in disconnected prime-age workers over time.” As shown in the graph below, the men’s labor force participation rate has fallen from more than 97 percent in 1955 to 89 percent prior to the pandemic, while the women’s labor force participation rate has declined in recent decades as well.

What’s causing this decline? Well, the study examines popular explanations like displacement from immigration and technological advancements and finds that they do not account for this drastic drop. Rather, it suggests that the biggest factor is that “many would-be workers are voluntarily disconnected from work, and government programs and policies have likely made work less attractive for these Americans.”

There has been tremendous growth in the welfare state over these decades. Per the committee, in 1998 about 20 percent of working-age Americans living in households between the 20th and 50th income percentiles were benefiting from government programs. As of 2014, that figure was up to 30 percent.   

Welfare is causing a labor shortage.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
Gee.

Incentivize sitting on your ass instead of being productive, and the lazy-inclined half of America will sit on it's gi-normous ass.

Who'd have thunk it?  :thatsright:
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline DLR Pyro

Joe biden's America
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline Old n Grumpy

Welfare may be the cause for low end minimum wage jobs, but I don't think it's the cause for skilled workers. I think the problem is that there aren't enough people with the skills to do a lot of the jobs. And some of the problem is to many with college educations and no technical skills.
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Welfare may be the cause for low end minimum wage jobs, but I don't think it's the cause for skilled workers. I think the problem is that there aren't enough people with the skills to do a lot of the jobs. And some of the problem is to many with college educations and no technical skills.

Mike Rowe of "Dirty Jobs" fame explains the problem far better than I can. Yeah, the culture we've created in that "you'll never amount to much unless you go to college and get a degree" has worked famously well -- including for those youngsters who spend enormous amounts of money chasing a dumbass "gender studies" or equally woke course of "study." Then, with no Plan B in their back pocket, they whine like little bitches when that gender studies degree is about as impactful and meaningful as a fart in a hurricane.

Decades ago I learned that studying music was a great thing from a personal satisfaction POV, but putting food on the table was going to be a very long stretch if I put all my eggs in that particular basket. Back then we didn't have auto-tune (right, Brittany Spears and Justin Bieber?) and you actually had to be proficient on one or more instruments in order to be hired at all. So getting a degree was something I had to do as I'm not a welder, plumber, or electrician and when I finished with the Army as a musician (having learned to shuffle papers for a living and inspect things in addition to playing multiple instruments), I found something I enjoyed and paid well. I had to resort to Plan B, IOW.

Yesterday I had a guy come over and install a shower door on a recently-tiled shower. Afterwards, he revealed that in his construction company 2 years ago, he had 3-4 crews with about 9-10 guys in each crew. Today they're down to one crew with him and 2 other guys, and the boss who does no physical labor any more. Why? Well, all that free money that the politicians (including Trump) threw at the Covid problem had a lot to do with it and as long as the government pays these guys to sit on their asses, they won't work. Simple as that.

Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.